- Western Digital 640GB SATA Hard Drive
- CORSAIR 750W ATX12V Power Supply <<<---------
- CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB
- Thermaltake SpinQ Heatsink
- Lightscribe external DVD Burner (USB)
- Plextor internal DVD Burner (SATA)
- Linksys WMP54G Wireless
- Windows Vista 64 SP1

I have tried numerous times to make my brand new computer work but it seems to not want to cooperate. I know that the HD 4870 cards have an issue with LCD screens going blank in DVI mode after a while due to poor drivers but users state they are at least able to use the VGA (D-SUB) adaptor with success. I have no success in this at all. Not even my 22" CRT ViewSonic which can do 1600 x 1200 at 100Hz can make use of my new computer. The screen still blanks out or locks up.

My question is, is the power supply not enough or is it possible my video card is all screwed up?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Oh to note my computer works in normal operation just not when it has to change resolutions and such or if it blinks momentarily, ex. when installing and the screen does a dim mode to verify user permissions.

kjohnson1

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Yes that PSU has enough power. I am running a Sapphire 4870 as well with a 650 watt PSU. I am also running a 22 inch LCD monitor through a DVI connector to it and I havent had any problem with it at all. Are you connecting the video card directly to the PSU or are you using the connectors that came with it? Also try the latest drivers.

Codasyl

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I have the latest drivers installed yes.
I am directly connecting 2 six pins from the PSU to the video card. Has a six pin with a hanging 2 pin on both six pins.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/15/2008, 00:02:32
Machine name: TRAX-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/11/08 Ver: 08.00.14
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 8190MB RAM
Page File: 1590MB used, 14844MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9440)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9440&SUBSYS_0502174B&REV_00
Display Memory: 3571 MB
Dedicated Memory: 503 MB
Shared Memory: 3067 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic Non-PnP Monitor
Driver Name: atidxx32,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atiumdva,atiumd64.dll,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0010.0163 (English)
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/1/2008 12:35:27, 2340352 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-D700-11CF-8D76-0825A1C2CA35}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x9440
SubSys ID: 0x0502174B
Revision ID: 0x0000
Revision ID: 0x0000
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Lollers that PSU is more than enough. I assume you'd tried updating the video drivers?

*Edit* Should have read the effing thread before posting.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
hmm have you tried uninstalling the catalyst control center and uninstalling the drivers, and just running on the standard vga drivers in the machine?

yes i know you said you've updated them to the latest but lets test with no drivers and see how it goes.

if you get a min could you try using driver sweeper (or is it cleaner? im sure someone will point out the right one) to remove all traces of the ati drivers..

Codasyl

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Well, to start I feel relieved that the PSU is enough. Now I know its just Vista and ATI's drivers. I uninstalled all catalyst drivers matter of fact I even did a fresh install 3 or 5 times with no drivers...results:

1. The standard vga video works fine no blinking no issues. Games have issues running with generic drivers though and vista is shakey.
2. I did find drivers for the monitor and installed them. The drivers though are old from 2005. I tried all three of them the P243W, P243W (Digital), and P243W (Analog), all glitchy.

What I did out of desperation because I wanted to play process of elimination and figure out what the heck is going on with my computer I installed my XP Pro version. And long and behold EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT! No glitches no blinking no issues, well except one, I want to use all of 8GB of ram I bought :(

I read on other forums that ATI is aware of the issue with Vista and their drivers and not working with a lot of monitors and are looking into it...ugh its been over a year.....*frustrated*

I want to use Vista 64 though..I liked using it at my friends house. I had issues trying to use 3DS Max 2009 in vista is annoying cuz to use it in vista I need to disable to viewing cube ugh. Oh well, cant have it all. If you have a solution or know something please let me know. Thanks to all who responded so far....really thanks.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
im sure you have done this but just download / use the driver on its own without ccc, do a manual install from device manager and see what happens.

Codasyl

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah I tried to install only the display driver and it works to a point. The video will tweak out and windows will lock up. Oh and about the Win XP I take it back apparently the drivers will crash xp I even got a blue screen that pointed to the ati driver as the cause.

Codasyl

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Update:

I had so many unstable issues with Windows XP PRO had to install Windows Vista 64. I havent installed any drivers at all and have a fresh install at the moment. Things run smooth with some jerking here and there, but at least I am without blinking monitors. sigh...

Codasyl

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Alright, so after doing as much as I could I finally contacted SapphireTech and they recommended an RMA. It sucks that I have to spend 15.00 for a possible defective card.

Codasyl

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Apparently thats how SapphireTech rolls. :(. I finally got my card to work well sorta. It works in classic view which is fine cuz I didnt like the fancy crap anyway. I think its the side bar that screws with me and other stuff..

But now when I play games like CS TF2 and such it locks up upon exiting the game ...sigh....hardware failure or driver?

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
try using a DIFFERENT LCD MONITOR.

besides, using the "driver only" version of the ati driver sucks. you'd have to suffer poor image quality because you wont be able to set the anisotropic filtering to 8x at least. and anybody whos wasting time with it must be dumb or just dont know how to spot crappy image quality, or must be lucky that most of their games has AF as one of its graphic options.

i know somebody might point you to using the ATI Tray tools, which for me is pretty unreliable, it hasnt been updated for almost a year.

Codasyl

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Ahhh...well instead of going to SapphireTech and paying the 15 bucks I am going to Newegg and getting a refund. Since Sapphs techs said its possible my card is faulty and have emails to prove so Newegg agreed to take the card and refund with no restock fee...yay for Newegg's elite customer service. Instead of getting another Sapphire card I am getting a Asus card. LOL asus vid card and asus mb how can it go wrong oO. I always get asus cards and mbs never ever have issues.....never should of strayed from what works for me :(.

Will post an update later....

OH and about trying another LCD, yeah tried it on my 22" acer also and it does the same thing. My 24" Acer works fine on my old PC which I was replacing...hehe funny how that works out.

...prays for a working card :(.

Codasyl

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Man Newegg is just too cool. They did the RMA shipping free and no restock fee. I get my Asus vid card monday wish me luck. What I find odd is Asus has a set of their own drivers or they use the same drivers but call it differently.

Thanks to all of you who tried to help me.