Power Supply to Motherboard

Vyperpunk

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Hi everyone. I'm very new to the computer building thing. In fact, this is the first computer I've ever built. Sorry if I sound like I'm asking dumb questions, but I may in way over my head. Here is a breakdown of what I am using:

- Phantom 410 case
- NZXT Hale90 V2 1000w
- Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
- AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core
- Asus GTX770
- G. Skill Ripjaws X-Series (16GB)
- Corsair H100i

I have everything installed (took me about 6 hours since I really had no idea what I was doing). All the wires have been connected, with the exception of one. Here is my issue. The 12v ATX (8 pin) connector that fits into the motherboard doesn't fit in the power supply on the other end (4+4 pin). This power supply came with 2 of these connectors. The rest of the connectors have have a different pattern on the pins. Is there another way I can get this to work? Maybe an adapter of some sort? I was looking at this one here

I have an adapter that will fit the molex end of this plug to connect it to a peripheral on the power supply, but will that be sufficient power? Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Vyperpunk

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Hi ksham,

That's what I initially thought, but I tried to switch the cord around, but it wont plug into the motherboard from the other end because of the pattern on the pins (some are rounded and some are square. I'm guessing one is power and one is ground). Let me see if I can upload a photo of the connectors.

And yes, I bought a 1000w power supply because I eventually intend to upgrade. Possibly dual video cards at some point.

Vyperpunk

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Here is a picture of the motherboard and the other end of the connector (4+4)
20130626_064736_zps22f057a2.jpg

20130626_064952_zpsd0412448.jpg

Also, are you suggesting that it would be unsafe to run the 1000w with my current build?

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
1. Your PSU is fine. Way too much for your application, however it will power your computer fine. I would have suggested approx 500-600 watts
2. Go to youtube: "newegg computer build part 2" This is a step by step video of how to assemble your computer. Should answer any / all questions and show you how to
3. part 3 is the windows / software install.

Goood Luck

Vyperpunk

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

Hi,

I actually watched all of those videos and they helped me out a ton. It's literally this one single connection that is keeping me from completing this build. I'm just curious to know that if I buy the adapter (link in first post), will it provide sufficient power from a peripheral port on the power supply rather than a CPU port on the power supply.

I was also getting the idea that I could pop the pins out of the connector that does fit into the power supply and swap it with the 4+4 connector. If I can do that, how do I determine which pin is power and ground?

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Vyper-

1. I'm a noob w/ 2 builds ... what do i know
2. I looked up ur mobo and PSU. Please ensure you have a CPU (either #1 or #2) cord plugged into your PSU CPU slot.
3. It appears you MAY have a PCIe cord there which could be a problem.
4. If you have a CPU cord plugged into the CPU slot on the PSU ... AND that cord won't fit onto the mobo. I don't know how to fix it. Outta my league ...
5. Maybe give the PSU company a call or the Mobo company if the cord still no worky ????? All these items are standard, maybe you just got a bad cord? Try a different one ??????????
GL !!

Vyperpunk

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

I'm not too familiar with the types of connections. I figured PCIE was a universal connection that would fit on any motherboard. I'm assuming that the PCI-E is what is plugged into the power supply, correct? Because that looks like what I need. I need the PCIE cable to plug into the power supply and have it go to the ATX 12v on the motherboard.

Vyperpunk

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Alright. Let me try and get some better pictures of what I'm dealing with. I'll try and upload some when I get home.

I was also doing some more reading on what I bought. The power supply says its compatible with ATX 12V V2.31 and EPS 12V V2.92 . The motherboard says its just an ATX. Not sure if this makes a difference since it's till ATX or it it's just not compatible.