[SOLVED] Power supply tripping AFCI breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJ023

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
Hey guys, been having a problem with my PC tripping my AFCI breaker. It only happens when gaming (Anywhere from 20 minutes of gaming to 3 hrs in). I know it's the PC as I've tried different outlets and even ran a 3 prong extension cord to another AFCI breaker and the PC tripped that one as well, with nothing else on it.

I'm wondering if the PSU could be failing and causing it to trip. I did a basic PSU test (using a multimeter to check the voltage outputs) and everything came back fine but I got it used and can't think of any other reason it could keep tripping the breaker. Besides tripping the breaker the computer runs fine and never seems to have any errors. PSU is a EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1, thanks for any help!

CBJ023

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
I don't have another one to test, I've tried my gaming computer and it didn't trip although it can't pull the same wattage. But it seems like wattage isn't the issue, the breaker wasn't warm at all when it tripped, it seems like its tripping the arc fault detection. And the builders of the house, I don't feel its a wiring or breaker issue since the PC caused two separate circuits to trip.

CBJ023

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
Ryzen 5 2600 @3.9ghz
Red Dragon RX580 @1460mhz
16GB DDR4 RAM @2933mhz

And if it was failing could it cause it to trip with no other symptoms? My biggest fear is that the power supply is failing and could harm my PC if I keep using it.

CBJ023

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
Well Newegg was having a sale so I bit the bullet and bought a new power supply, would rather just get one then keep wondering if something is wrong with this one. Got a Seasonic Prime Ultra 650 Platinum SSR-650PD2 650W (P.S. Seasonic please make shorter names). I'll post an update after I install and see if that stops it from tripping. I just played for 3 hours straight while plugged into a normal breaker, so just seems like the AFCI just doesn't like something about this PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.