Question Power Supply upgrade

Aug 20, 2019
Hi guys,

I recently build a PC using MSI AM4 Pro VD/S V2 and Ryzen 3 2200G. I am planning on using an RX 470 as my GPU and also wanted to have my case upgraded to have 3 120mm LED fans (I only have 1 now on Gammaxx 400 and 1 80mm exhaust). My full build as of now using a Cooler Pro CP-450GT as my power supply.

1. MSI AM4 Pro VD/S V2.
  2. Ryzen 3 2200G.
  3. Gammax 400 and 1 80mm exhaust fan.
  4. 1TB Toshiba 7200 RPM.
  5. LG 22" IPS Monitor.
  6. Logitech G413 Keyboard and G102 Mouse (connected in the System Unit).
  7. Logitech Z120 and Redragon H112 Gaming Headset (connected in the System Unit).
  8. Cat 6 Ethernet LAN.

Now I am planning to have an RX 470 and 2TB Firecuda added and change my CPU to Ryzen 5 2600. Do I need to change my PSU to a higher one? If so, can you recommend a better build to what I am planning.

Thank you

Jun

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Size does not equal quality. I'd put my Evga 550w G2 up against any low quality psu upto and including 850w models.

Out there, in your neck of the woods, the best budget psus are the Seasonic S12-II 520w/620w or its varients like the Antec HCG, the new black/silver Corsair VS/CX(m). Anything else in those price ranges or lower is suspect, especially name brand psus like Thermaltake, Zalman, CoolerMaster etc. Off brands with fancy sounding names and/or rgb fans etc are even worse.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

Pay close attention to rated wattage vrs actual load wattage. Your current psu is in the exact same range of quality/ability.

Aug 20, 2019
Got it! Thanks for all the advise, but I don't really have the budget right now to buy branded PSU, so I may have to keep my system this way. And by the way, a month ago, I replaced the stock cooler to Gammaxx 400 without replacing the the thermal paste left on the CPU, should I clean the CPU and apply the thermal paste that comes with Gammaxx 400? Sorry, just a newbie in building PC.

I found this one and I think this will fit my budget Seasonic SS-500EP Eco Plus +80 Bronze 500W Power Supply Is this a good PSU?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS