[SOLVED] Power Supply Very High Usage

Feb 16, 2020
I noticed when I was editing a video that my video editing software was being extremely slow and when I went into task manager it said the power usage was "Very High". The same thing will happen when I am scrolling on google. Is my power supply starting to die? This just started and I have never had an issue before.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
I noticed when I was editing a video that my video editing software was being extremely slow and when I went into task manager it said the power usage was "Very High". The same thing will happen when I am scrolling on google. Is my power supply starting to die? This just started and I have never had an issue before.

Thanks

Computers know ZIP about your power supplies capabilities (With a very few high end RARE exceptions like the i series by Corsair) So they wouldn't know if your power supply is capable of 5 watts or 5000 watts. 50 Watts to a 850 Watt power supply is childs play to just about any power supply. But a single process might be labeled as "High Power" usage at 50 watts.

Power supplies also very rarely affect...
Feb 16, 2020
There is no power supply usage in the task manager. You can see your CPU, GPU and RAM usage. Not the power supply. Which one are you talking about?
There is power supply if you are in processes and scroll over. Otherwise, you might need to right-click and add it to see it in processes.

Feb 16, 2020
You're doing a misktake. There is no way to see how much watts something is using. There is no power supply column in task manager. I just told you. There is CPU, GPU, RAM, DISK, NET. You cannot see the power supply. There is no way to tell how many watts you're using in the task manager.

So I'm gonna ask again. What column are you watching?
Yes, there is no showing the watts but says low, medium, high, etc. I am looking at the Power Usage Column. Hardware is not my expertise so I could be doing something wrong.

Yes, there is no showing the watts but says low, medium, high, etc. I am looking at the Power Usage Column. Hardware is not my expertise so I could be doing something wrong.

Yes the column energy consumption is pretty pointless.

Download HWINFO64. That program tells you everything you want to know. Voltages, watts used, temperatures. Everything important.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Reactions: digitalgriffin

Thanks

Computers know ZIP about your power supplies capabilities (With a very few high end RARE exceptions like the i series by Corsair) So they wouldn't know if your power supply is capable of 5 watts or 5000 watts. 50 Watts to a 850 Watt power supply is childs play to just about any power supply. But a single process might be labeled as "High Power" usage at 50 watts.

Power supplies also very rarely affect speed. They affect stability. If there isn't enough power, then the computer will simply crash without warning other maybe a low voltage rail warning.

What your computer is likely trying to tell you is that some program on your system is eating up lots of power. And video editing consumes tons of power. That just comes with the job. The column you are looking at is largely useless unless you are trying to figure out why something like laptop battery supply is dying so fast.

That said, if you are experiencing slow down that weren't there before
  1. Look to see if your SSD's are filling up,
  2. If some recently installed program is eating cycles. (Task manager)
  3. Get a good virus scanner and see if your computer is infected.
-DG

Last edited:
Solution