[SOLVED] Power supply went boom 💥

Mar 23, 2020
Hello

I have an old psu model - cooler master Extreme Power Plus 650W (RS-650-PCAR-E3) .... Few days ago I tried to turn on the pc and the psu kinda exploded.. Opened up to check and some components we're fried including a transistor.. I guess the explosion occurred because of running on 115v instead of 230

Anyway, the problem is that the transistor info is totally gone and I can't buy a replacement as I don't know the right one to buy

Any have an idea about the unit's internal design?

Would've replaced it but prices gone rocket high so can't afford at the moment

Solution
I guess the explosion occurred because of running on 115v instead of 230

That's not why.

That PSU can accept both 230 & 115V. Even if it couldn't, I don't suspect connecting a 230V device to a 115V supply would cause any issue (other than it not working), but 230V to a 115V only device would be a different story.

I can't find any link to a review for that unit that remains live, but suffice to say it's a poor quality PSU to begin with and a >10 years old design (potentially >10 year old model).

'Repairing' PSUs is a specialized game, and potentially dangerous without the adequate tools/skillset/experience.

No disrespect intended, but if you had the necessary experience/skillset, you wouldn't need to ask how to...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I guess the explosion occurred because of running on 115v instead of 230

That's not why.

That PSU can accept both 230 & 115V. Even if it couldn't, I don't suspect connecting a 230V device to a 115V supply would cause any issue (other than it not working), but 230V to a 115V only device would be a different story.

I can't find any link to a review for that unit that remains live, but suffice to say it's a poor quality PSU to begin with and a >10 years old design (potentially >10 year old model).

'Repairing' PSUs is a specialized game, and potentially dangerous without the adequate tools/skillset/experience.

No disrespect intended, but if you had the necessary experience/skillset, you wouldn't need to ask how to determine the correct part to buy.

The PSU is a goner - good riddance. Hopefully it didn't damage any of your components on it's way out.

Time for a new, quality PSU, I'm afraid.

Reactions: ChumP
Solution
Mar 23, 2020
That's not why.

Searched a lot but to no avail

No disrespect intended, but if you had the necessary experience/skillset, you wouldn't need to ask how to determine the correct part to buy.

I get the point.. It ain't my field of expertise though.. Those who repair here said that replacing the part is no big deal just figuring out the right one is ..

The PSU is a goner - good riddance. Hopefully it didn't damage any of your components on it's way out.

That's what I hope atm.. Honestly, am getting to hate cooler master psu..

Time for a new, quality PSU, I'm afraid.

Not much of a choice

Thanks btw