[SOLVED] Power supply

Jan 7, 2021
I have Dell 3020 core i5 4440 with 290 watt power supply and 8 GB ram. I have gtx 960 2 gb graphics card. I want to know that is my power supply enough ?

Solution
Right, you CAN'T upgrade the power supply in that system. It IS a proprietary type power supply that only works in the Dell mini tower systems. This is one ENORMOUS reason why we generally recommend against buying these types of systems if you have any intention of doing upgrades or using it as any kind of a gaming system.

SO, your options are pretty much to use it as is until something fails, which is pretty likely sooner or later, not just because the PSU is underpowered and low quality for the hardware you want to continue running, but also because it is MANY years old already, and would likely be looking at the potential for failure even if you were just running with the stock configuration using the integrated graphics adapter...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
While you theoretically have the power, you're getting close enough that a prebuilt Chicony with no certifications that's the better part of a decade old is not something I'd want to run with a GTX 960.

Something this old and low-output, I'd be unwilling to use any GPU that requires supplementary power. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with this PC maxing under 200W of +12V power.

Reactions: Krotow and Nemesia
Jan 7, 2021
While you theoretically have the power, you're getting close enough that a prebuilt Chicony with no certifications that's the better part of a decade old is not something I'd want to run with a GTX 960.

Something this old and low-output, I'd be unwilling to use any GPU that requires supplementary power. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with this PC maxing under 200W of +12V power.
I don't understand what u saying

Not really. In fact, pretty much not at all. Since there are really not any quality 290w power supplies out there, only at best really mediocre ones for OEM type systems, then we can't assume that they'll even be able to reliably supply a full 290w, much less the 430w that is recommended for the full system when using a GTX 960. Now, we know it probably won't use anywhere near 430w, and there really aren't any quality units for the most part anyhow until you get to about 450w if we're talking about ATX form factor power supplies, so that is what you really want to see and it's probably that won't be possible or easy with your system because it probably uses a proprietary form factor power supply and motherboard and directly swapping in an aftermarket standard form factor replacement part is likely not going to be possible.

It's possible though. Looks like a few of those Dell mini towers used standard ATX power supplies, but a lot of them didn't. Knowing the model of your current power supply, which should be listed on the label on the side of the power supply, as well as knowing the FULL model and sub model of your 3020, or the express service tag number which should be on a sticker somewhere on the case, would be very much helpful in determining some of this in the even you should want to replace that power supply with one that would be a lot more suitable.

Again, it's very, very doubtful that you could get by for long without having problems, if at all, with that PSU.

It might also matter which model of GTX 960 it is. I think there might have been a couple of them that only used slot power, with no auxiliary 6 pin required, and if so, then that helps things a little bit. I still would be pretty skeptical of it working without issues though.

What is the reason you are asking? Do you have this installed already and are having problems or are you considering installing it but are unsure whether it will work or not?

Jan 7, 2021
Actually I am buying this pc from my friend. He said that he is using pc with out any problems. And he play game 4 hours on this pc without any issue. I have doubt of 2 things in my mind. First thing is if we play games on this pc for 10 to 12 hours will there be any issue ? Second thing is still if there is not issue in playing game can there by any issue in future ? Third thing is what issues can come with low power supply ?

Jan 7, 2021
Not really. In fact, pretty much not at all. Since there are really not any quality 290w power supplies out there, only at best really mediocre ones for OEM type systems, then we can't assume that they'll even be able to reliably supply a full 290w, much less the 430w that is recommended for the full system when using a GTX 960. Now, we know it probably won't use anywhere near 430w, and there really aren't any quality units for the most part anyhow until you get to about 450w if we're talking about ATX form factor power supplies, so that is what you really want to see and it's probably that won't be possible or easy with your system because it probably uses a proprietary form factor power supply and motherboard and directly swapping in an aftermarket standard form factor replacement part is likely not going to be possible.

It's possible though. Looks like a few of those Dell mini towers used standard ATX power supplies, but a lot of them didn't. Knowing the model of your current power supply, which should be listed on the label on the side of the power supply, as well as knowing the FULL model and sub model of your 3020, or the express service tag number which should be on a sticker somewhere on the case, would be very much helpful in determining some of this in the even you should want to replace that power supply with one that would be a lot more suitable.

Again, it's very, very doubtful that you could get by for long without having problems, if at all, with that PSU.

It might also matter which model of GTX 960 it is. I think there might have been a couple of them that only used slot power, with no auxiliary 6 pin required, and if so, then that helps things a little bit. I still would be pretty skeptical of it working without issues though.

What is the reason you are asking? Do you have this installed already and are having problems or are you considering installing it but are unsure whether it will work or not?
My graphics card used 6 pin connector

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Tell me one thing. I took this pc from my friend. He is playing games on it without any issues.

"Not dying" doesn't mean there aren't any issues. Just because your friend was doing this without his PC frying doesn't mean it was safe. Drunk-driving doesn't become safe just because your friend did it and got home OK.

You've opened up three threads on this now, with everyone telling you the exact same thing. If you're so determined to do this, then just do it. Just don't expect anyone to give their blessing and tell you what a good idea this is. It's your components you're risking, not ours.

Jan 7, 2021
So your friend was playing games with that system and he was using the GTX 960 too and you're asking if you have enough power?

If your friend was playing fine why wouldn't you be ok too? Am I missing something?
I am asking on this forum because I have 3 things in my mind.
So your friend was playing games with that system and he was using the GTX 960 too and you're asking if you have enough power?

If your friend was playing fine why wouldn't you be ok too? Am I missing something?
Actually I am asking on this forum because I have 2 questions in my mind .

First thing is that my friend has played game maximum 4 hours on it at a time. I want to ask if I play games on this pc for 10 to 12 hours at a time without turning off pc will there be any issue ?
2. Second thing is still if there is not issue in playing games now, can there by any issue in future ?

How many hours you play games on it has nothing to do with anything. The amount of hours is irrelevant.

The bottom line here is that you are basically buying a car with three regular wheels and tires and one wheel and tire that is that tiny little spare temporary doughnut tire that you find in the bottom of the trunk of most cars that is meant ONLY to get you to the tire shop so you can replace the real tire that failed. So yes, the car will drive and you can get from one place to another, but at some point that temporary tire is going to fail and you are going to end up in a ditch.

This is exactly the same thing. That OEM 290w power supply is the same as that temporary doughnut tire. Sure, it works for now, but when it fails it is not just going to be a matter of replacing the power supply (tire), you are going to probably have peripheral damage to other things as well like the graphics card or motherboard, or maybe a drive, or even the CPU (Car in a ditch. Bent wheels. Body crushed in.).

If it's worth the risk to you, then great, use it like that, but keep in mind that it's a lot cheaper to put a reliable power supply in there even if it means waiting a couple of weeks to be able to afford to do it, than it is to have to replace the whole system you just bought because you were as stubborn as a mule.

Jan 7, 2021
How many hours you play games on it has nothing to do with anything. The amount of hours is irrelevant.

The bottom line here is that you are basically buying a car with three regular wheels and tires and one wheel and tire that is that tiny little spare temporary doughnut tire that you find in the bottom of the trunk of most cars that is meant ONLY to get you to the tire shop so you can replace the real tire that failed. So yes, the car will drive and you can get from one place to another, but at some point that temporary tire is going to fail and you are going to end up in a ditch.

This is exactly the same thing. That OEM 290w power supply is the same as that temporary doughnut tire. Sure, it works for now, but when it fails it is not just going to be a matter of replacing the power supply (tire), you are going to probably have peripheral damage to other things as well like the graphics card or motherboard, or maybe a drive, or even the CPU (Car in a ditch. Bent wheels. Body crushed in.).

If it's worth the risk to you, then great, use it like that, but keep in mind that it's a lot cheaper to put a reliable power supply in there even if it means waiting a couple of weeks to be able to afford to do it, than it is to have to replace the whole system you just bought because you were as stubborn as a mule.
THe problem is I could not upgrade power supply due to pc limitation. Shopkeeper says in Dell 3020 mini tower u cannot upgrade psu.

Right, you CAN'T upgrade the power supply in that system. It IS a proprietary type power supply that only works in the Dell mini tower systems. This is one ENORMOUS reason why we generally recommend against buying these types of systems if you have any intention of doing upgrades or using it as any kind of a gaming system.

SO, your options are pretty much to use it as is until something fails, which is pretty likely sooner or later, not just because the PSU is underpowered and low quality for the hardware you want to continue running, but also because it is MANY years old already, and would likely be looking at the potential for failure even if you were just running with the stock configuration using the integrated graphics adapter. Stuff doesn't last forever, and it lasts even less when you throw in hardware that exceeds what it was designed to be capable of running.

OR, you can do something like this, which would require you to get an adapter and run the PSU outside the case. It can be done. I don't really recommend it, but it IS an option.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desk...or-Dell-Optiplex-3020-Mini-Tower/td-p/4633944

Solution