Honorable
Aug 13, 2014
Hello,

I have a system with:
-Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
-Intel 4930k running @ 4.3ghz
-2x MSI Seahawk GTX 1080's
-16gb Ballistix RAM

So, have a nice laugh at this cause it was bad, but a couple years ago rebuilt that system above with a new power supply, but I must have used a cable from the old power supply (absolute best guess) but I turned that thing on an sparks flew, a bit of smoke came out, and it was smelly.

4 SSDs and an HDD were FRIED. Had IT friends check them out, etc. They were donzo. Everything else in my system SEEMS to have survived.

I kept using the system as a Hakintosh for editing videos, and it has always worked great. I used another rig for gaming for a while because of Mac compatibility issues with my GFX cards.

Once the drivers for the 1080's came out for Mac, I combined my gaming back into that Rampage IV Black edition system I edit with. It scored higher than my other system in benchmarking, and it seemed to not have been damaged by the surge....

Well, I've been gaming hardcore with it for a month now, and with the really modern games, it has a frame drop every minute or two. Like a nasty laggy frame drop.

I tirelessly monitor my CPU and GPUs for temp, clock speeds, etc. They are running smooth as butter. I tested all kinds of page files sizes, or no file, didn't make a difference. I tested my RAM with some simple test and it passed...but it seemed like the test was from 1998 or something.

Like I said, it's just these weird frame drops which didn't happen on my other system, which is a 7700k, 16gb of RAM, and was using the same cards. The 4930k system scored higher on that new unigine benchmark, but then these frame drops...

How do I find out if it is my RAM, or my Motherboard? I think it has to be one of those things, my CPU smashes through a long Prime95 test, my GFX cards are performing perfectly. What should I do, and how?

What games? Also are these games on an hdd?
if you want to test ram just make a bootable usb stick with memtest 86 on it.

camdoz86

Honorable
Aug 13, 2014
[/quotemsg]

What games? Also are these games on an hdd?
if you want to test ram just make a bootable usb stick with memtest 86 on it.
[/quotemsg]

It's an SSD. I'll do the memtest, sounds good. So, AAA games that run great on good hardware like Witcher 3 are getting that drop, as well as in development games like Escape from Tarkov and Squad. Now, I used to be able to run these games, on this system, years ago just fine. I actually ran Squad and Witcher on an old 780 with this system years ago, no problems if the settings were set correctly, and they are now as well.

I'll see how the memtest goes.

UPDATE: Memtest passed, so it's more than likely not my memory. I've read that Memtest would probably sort out any serious power issues as well, but maybe that's not true. Duno what to think.