Power User Profiles: A YouTuber's DIY Dream PC With Matthew Perks

Status
Not open for further replies.
While a video might be nice to show off a build. I've always found them to be close to useless in instructing people on how to complete the build themselves.

I think this is because the level of granular footage required would just make the video obscenely long when most viewers just want beauty shots.

Contrasted with written guides where length is usually the desired result.

That all said at a minimum you should always put links or at least names of whatever thing you showing off in a video in the description so people can search for it easier.

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I prefer written guides with really good quality pictures included to show me what to do my self. The last place I look for help is places like you tube, I all ways look for written help first when I look on the internet for help with a problem as I find this way of learning to work much better for me.

Bnystrom

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
As someone who writes instructional material for a living, I appreciate the comments above. However, my current project has progressed past the written stage and has moved into video production. While not all material is suitable for video, where it works, it's invaluable, as a substantial percentage of the population are visual learners for whom seeing something done is critical to their learning. We also do online classes, but the 24/7/365 to online video is something that cannot be duplicated with classes and is far less time-consuming in the long run.

Written text and pictures will always have a place in the instructional world, but video is also a very important tool.

USAFRet

Titan
Video has to be exceptionally well done to be a good instructional medium. The viewer is forced to go at the pace of the presenter. Too much jumping around = Click, NEXT!

Poor production quality, out of focus, not close enough, lighting, poor audio, etc, etc...

Sadly, the vast majority of "video" out there is basically useless.

Text, audio, video...all have their place. But video requires the content creator to up their game a couple of levels.

canesfan81

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
BNYSTROM is right on the money, which makes sense given his/her occupation. Yes, much of the population are visual learners and there will always be a place for written instruction. Some are hands-on learners, which in situations that have been spoken of here, folk will need likely both written and visual instruction just to get them in there working with their hands and from there they figure it out as they do. Still there are three auditory learners whom do best with hearing detailed spoken instruction, which would take care of itself in a you tube video. Myself, I learn best by reading and writing. So written instruction with some high res pictures, like a power-point is the best way for me to accomplish/learn something. In fact, if it wasn't for over-head projectors (showing my age) and later power points I would have never gotten through school or college. So yes, written instruction certainly has a substantial place and should never be over-looked. Having said that, watching YouTube videos, even instructional ones are still really fun I think!

Lutfij

Titan
The channel is something I've been closely following since it's conception. Good on ya Matthew for having your work and yourself featured on Tom's ;)

That moment in time where we're now seamlessly crossing into other territories!

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
The video isn't intended to teach or for someone to create an exact copy of his build.

I'm not a guy with a work shop and large tools but I'm certain the video is informative enough for someone who is into building stuff. The build is not in anyway practical and optimal so you are free to modify most of it where the centerpiece are still those exposed heatsinks, which by the way, is a brilliant idea that haven't seen before.

alan_rave

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Youtube is the best way to learn for young people - they are now visual learners, the most of them have the habit of watching in spite of reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.