PowerColor Launches First Official Radeon RX 590 GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
The Power Consumption plays factor of pricing against Nvidia Mid range (GTX 1060-6GB)

Cant perform like GTX 1080, but use as much power use as GTX 1080..

AMD GPU going start being way too power hungry jacking your power bills and not able beat Nvidia completion GPU`s from Mid Tier to High End Gaming?

Let me make this as crystal clear as possible- power consumption as it is related to your power bill is a non-issue. Cranked to its maximum and run 24/ 7 all month the most power hungry GPU or CPU will only use $1 or so more a month as compared to their much more efficient counterparts. The power bill argument has been studied ever since the old power hungry FX processor line and was debunked way back then. End of story.

Where power consumption becomes an issue is related to thermals, not the power bill. The more power a card uses the higher the thermals and the more extreme the cooling needs. This usually means that your not going to be using a blower version of the card but an open air version with 2 - 3 fans and a very big heat sink. The problem with open air GPUs (of ANY manufacture and brand) is they vent the hot air expelled from the GPU directly into your case causing all the other components to run hot. The more power efficient the GPU the less heat produced, the better it is for all your equipment. In fact the 'healthiest" GPUs for your equipment as a whole is blower versions as they expel the hot air from the GPU outside of your case and not inside of it. Their drawback is they usually can't be overclocked as high as the GPU itself will run hotter than the open air models.

Power consumption of a CPU or GPU is a concern only when related to thermals to the component and the surrounding hardware/ components. The actual real difference in your power bill is so low it is inconsequential.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

You don`t get it, i dont how you defending AMD RX590 underperfromance GPU is not power hungry. the more power being consumed the more electricity is being used.

You don't get it, I'm not defending the RX 590. I personally wouldn't buy one as it isn't a real upgrade from my R9 290. I'm personally saying that right now the GTX 1070Ti is the best bang for the dollar for a 2K/ 4K upgrade based upon performance and retail cost.

I am also saying that the argument that its going to cost a lot of extra money on your power bill is total bullsh*t and has been debunked with CPUs and GPUs for a very long time. Even the old FX processors like the FX 9590 with its huge power usage under load wouldn't jack your power bill over a much more efficient Haswell processor of the same era, it was proven way back then that it came to around $0.75 a month extra. The cost per month of running a RX 590 over a GTX 1060 would be literally $1 a month tops, and more than likely less than that. The true "cost" of running at higher wattage is increased heat production which will be a limiting factor in overclocking and may even add additional heat to all the other components in the tower.

If I were recommending a GPU to someone building a new rig that wanted to only game at 1080p the RX 590 would actually be one of the top recommendations (depending a lot of retail costs at he time). The RX 590 does outperform the GTX 1060 in almost every game you throw at it, not by a huge margin but it is the best of the mid range cards now based on performance. However for someone who already has a capable mid range card ie RX 580, GTX 1060 then its not a real upgrade that is worthwhile.

Rexer

Distinguished

All I've heard from AMD's leadership is they're concentrating on work station GPUs. Doesn't sound good and I hope I'm wrong. I've owned a Vega 64 for a year and I'm happy with it. It's got a modest clock right now at 1630/ 1690 mhz, mem 960mhz/1000mhz and remains around 53c to 72c (room is air conditioned). And I'm confident with a V-bios flash it can gain higher figures. (I don't plan to push it).
I hope AMD doesn't back-off chasing Nvidia simply because of market monopoly. I'm not an AMD fan boy (I also own a an Nvidia1070 as well as an older 970) but I do hate the 'Only game in town' product strategy Nvidia seems to be eclipsing.