[SOLVED] Powercolor RX 6600xt performance issues

This may be more of an observation, I’ve got the current specs.

Ryzen 5 3600
AsRock AB350 pro 4
16 gb ddr4 3000 Corsair ram
Powercolor rx 6600 xt hellhound
PowerSpec 750 watt bronze power supply

Got the card a week or so ago, as I’ve used it, playing Homefront the Revolution mostly, noticed the game would freeze randomly but not crash. I’d read the game wasn’t developed the greatest so chalked it up to that. Decided to try call of duty war zone, and noticed similar behavior. The game even crashed on me.

Didn’t know really what was happening, as temps etc all looked in check. When I installed the card I used ddu, not in safe mode, to remove all nvidia drivers and installed amd drivers but I had that’s behavior.

Last night I rebooted into safe mode and did ddu for both nvidia and amd drivers. Rebooted and then installed amd gpu drivers.

I haven’t had time to test extensively but I noticed this card has a dual bios switch, one setting for oc, another for silent. It was on oc out of the box, so I switched it to silent mode, it seems to act a bit better. I’d also tried tweaking settings in the driver before.

Anyone else have this experience? Wondering if the oc they had applied wasn’t stable perhaps.

Forgot to mention cpu cooler I have a vetroo v5 with 2 fans installed in push pull, and 6 case fans. I think 3 front intake fans, 2 on top for exhaust, one rear exhaust.

Last edited:
Solution
So after the new psu and bios change, the card doesn’t seem to stutter but still rebooted my pc again. Very interesting. Contacted powercolor again so I’ll see what happens. In the mean time, I removed the drivers using ddu, but then extracted the driver and manually used device manager to install the gpu driver so that way no amd adrenaline software to contend with. So we’ll see what happens.
If the silent vBIOS still works, it's likely that the performance vBIOS needs to be flashed with a custom setting that is more stable. Other than running lower fan speeds at higher temps, you likely won't notice any performance difference between the two vBIOS settings and if you RMA the card, you will likely have to wait for a...
Please run userbenchmark and post a link to the results. Note: Userbenchmark hates AMD cards. Don't worry about the score. There are other things we are looking at. Also, run HWiNFO64 in the background (sensors only, logging on) while you game and then go through the logs to see if anything is amiss. Or, upload them somewhere that we can have a look.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
The green wd should only be used as storage, not as an applications running hd. Especially games. It's really not suited for it. Im pretty sure that's the culprit. I would honestly switch it with a 3.5 inches ssd sata. They're so cheap nowadays anyways.

Those are pretty much only storage these days. I think I’ve got some OneDrive files there. The homefront game should be on the 1tb 2.5 inch ssd. But I did get to pay for an hour today after the changes in drivers and the bios switch, a lot less of the games hanging up, so I imagine it will get better. Maybe I was spoiled to my 1070 and other nvidia gpus I’ve owned where they just run usually without having to tweak.

The 6600xt was one of those cards where it was there and the price was right at the time.

This may be more of an observation, I’ve got the current specs.

Ryzen 5 3600
AsRock AB350 pro 4
16 gb ddr4 3000 Corsair ram
Powercolor rx 6600 xt hellhound
PowerSpec 750 watt bronze power supply

Got the card a week or so ago, as I’ve used it, playing Homefront the Revolution mostly, noticed the game would freeze randomly but not crash. I’d read the game wasn’t developed the greatest so chalked it up to that. Decided to try call of duty war zone, and noticed similar behavior. The game even crashed on me.

Didn’t know really what was happening, as temps etc all looked in check. When I installed the card I used ddu, not in safe mode, to remove all nvidia drivers and installed amd drivers but I had that’s behavior.

Last night I rebooted into safe mode and did ddu for both nvidia and amd drivers. Rebooted and then installed amd gpu drivers.

I haven’t had time to test extensively but I noticed this card has a dual bios switch, one setting for oc, another for silent. It was on oc out of the box, so I switched it to silent mode, it seems to act a bit better. I’d also tried tweaking settings in the driver before.

Anyone else have this experience? Wondering if the oc they had applied wasn’t stable perhaps.

Forgot to mention cpu cooler I have a vetroo v5 with 2 fans installed in push pull, and 6 case fans. I think 3 front intake fans, 2 on top for exhaust, one rear exhaust.
Perhaps the PowerSpec PSU isn't up to the job of powering your new graphics card? It has come straight from hell after all :p What is the exact model code of the PSU?

Should be this one.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ssfire-ready-gaming-pc-computer-switching-psu

May not be a bad idea to replace it. I don’t think it’s dangerous unit per say, but certainly not on the level of Corsair or seasonic I’m sure. Specs show it has 62 amps on a single rail so it should be overkill for that system. But may see about replacing it.
Ok so the model is PS-BSM
It is listed as low priority tier C in the list maintained here https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psucultists-psu-tier-list-rev-14-8-12-07-2021.3624094/

So recommended for cheap mid/low-end systems. I wouldn't like to say for sure that replacing it would fix all your problems but it is certainly possible.

What you could try as a test is to use MSI Afterburner to reduce the power limit to your graphics card. This will cause the GPU to not boost its clock speed as high and use less power, putting less strain on the PSU. Run your games and see if the issues persist.

Ok. I’ll keep an eye on it. Potentially have to have the car repaired this week. But since I used the switch on the card to move it over to silent mode, It seems to perform a bit better. So I may leave it there and if I replace the power supply, try moving it back.

Thinking there could have been leftover effects from drivers as well since I did not run ddu in safe mode the first time as well.

But I have been mulling the idea of installing a b550 board so I could swap to a 5000 series cpu later, might be a good time to do that.

Reactions: spentshells
Haven't done that yet, haven't touched the pc since yesterday afternoon. Can look more when I'm at home tonight possibly. But since I did the cleanup and moved the card's bios switch to silent (note I also realized I changed to high performance power mode as well, and turned off Windows 10 game mode), I haven't experienced the slowdowns. Or if I have at all, not anywhere near what they were.

I think I'm going to switch it back to the OC mode and see what happens.

If I keep having too many issues, may swap this in for the PowerSpec. If I'm not mistaken that is toward the top of the tier list and should be enough to power for a few years I would imagine.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...10-year-warranty,-perfect-power-supply-for-ga

Congratulations on the new card!

The 6600XT been out only for just a few days, so maybe the driver is not helping either, specially on stability front while OC.

You seems to have good airflow inside your rig, and a good cooler for the cpu (Im also thinking about getting B550 mobo to upgrade to R5 5600X later on) so temps shouldn't be an issue.

Is not a bad idea to give the OC bios another try, and also keep an eye on new AMD-Radeon drivers.

Never had or worked with a Powerspec PSU so I do not know the brand. Seems to be a Tier C PSU, which is not horrible like D or E.

Nevertheless if you can afford it is not a bad idea to get a new PSU eventually. On the other hand the RX 6600 XT does not consume lot of power either.

Cheers!

Yeah, I'm on a 750 watt power supply, the cpu is a 65 watt part, and the gpu I've seen pull about 150-160. So I'm keeping an eye on it. If things don't smooth out after a couple more driver updates, I'll probably get a new power supply to be safe. Not that I think my power supply will die tomorrow, but if my gpu acts up much more, I may replace it. After all, 100 dollar power supply vs a 440 dollar gpu that I can't replace for under 600 now probably.....

But I would not think the power supply is too bad. Back before the previous mining craze(not the one we are in now, but a year or so before that), I had a Vega 56 that I ran in it. Sold it when the market was up at the time, but that was a 200+ watt card. Man, I guess I have had this power supply 2-3 years then. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it and replace if needed.

Last edited:
Update, as long as the card is on silent mode it seems fine. It just occurred to me though that the rx 6600xt runs at pci e x8 instead of x16.

My Asrock ab350 pro 4 only is a pci e Gen 3 board. The 6600xt is a pci e Gen 4 card. I wonder if the speed difference in the pci e 3 to 4 slot is enough to make the difference in the card freezing or not. Maybe I have another excuse to go to a newer board that can accept a pci 4 card natively lol.

Had a chance to test more, and downloaded the latest AMD drivers, and turned the card back to the overclock mode. I also had a bracket with 2 80mm case fans installed that I put directly under the gpu to push air into it.

My voltages when I look at hwmonitor look ok, things seemed to be working slightly better. But interestingly, as I was playing HomeFront, The Revolution, and got to one of the main scenes, I'd already fought most of the people and was in a cutscene, my computer just went whacko, as far as the screen went black as though the gpu crashed, and the system did a hard restart. When it came back up, the voltages still seem normal. But I'm thinking maybe my gpu just can't deliver a stable supply of power? Never had this issue with this PSU before, but I think it may be a couple of years old, and this card is probably more power hungry than my old 1070. So perhaps it's time to get a new one.

According to the overlay, even the gpu hotspot was staying in the 50's so temps have looked good.

So I guess if I'm going to spend money on a power supply, at my local microcenter, I can get this.

It costs more at Microcenter but they usually price match.
https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-850-ga-220-ga-0850-x1-850w/p/1HU-00J7-004V4

Though looking at the tier list, they do have this power supply in store.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...10-year-warranty,-perfect-power-supply-for-ga

Thoughts? That one looks like the best to me. Any thoughts on the corsair RM series? From what I'm seeing though, I'm leaning towards the Seasonic USA Focus GX-750. I suppose I could get the 650, but the difference is only 10 dollars, so why split hairs.

I do hate to spend much more than that, but do you guys think this is enough for

Ryzen 5 3600
ASRock AB350 Pro 4
16gb ddr4 3000
RX 6600xt Powercolor Hellhound
Samsung 960 evo 256gb
TeamGroup 1tb 2.5 inch ssd
2 1tb hard drives

6 120mm case fans
2 80mm case fans in a bracket below the gpu

Last edited:
Update, as long as the card is on silent mode it seems fine. It just occurred to me though that the rx 6600xt runs at pci e x8 instead of x16.

My Asrock ab350 pro 4 only is a pci e Gen 3 board. The 6600xt is a pci e Gen 4 card. I wonder if the speed difference in the pci e 3 to 4 slot is enough to make the difference in the card freezing or not. Maybe I have another excuse to go to a newer board that can accept a pci 4 card natively lol.
The PCIE slot shouldn't be the reason for your issue, but it might be. You already changed the vBios with the cards switch and found the silent vBIOS to work fine, so it's possible the performance vBIOS is corrupted or the card is not quite able to handle whatever settings it uses. There is also the possibility the motherboard may need a BIOS update if there is one for stability.

The RX6600XT loses performance when running it on a PCIE 3.0 x16 slot and has the same theoretical bandwidth as x4 PCIE 4.0. Most games lose about 5% of their fps when you run the 6600XT on PCIE 3.0. Some games, like Doom Eternal, currently can lose up to 25% of their fps. A new 500 series motherboard with your R5 3600 will allow you to run the card at it's maximum bandwidth.

Yeah I started messing with it tonight and updated drivers and it seemed a bit more stable. I switched back to overclock mode and at one point the screen went black and the system did a reboot. So I’m wondering if my power supply needs swapped.

Right now I’m running a PowerSpec 750 watt bronze unit, I think that is tier c on the list. So perhaps that’s causing issues?

I’ll check on the bios update but I should be on one of the latest ones if not the latest.

Yeah I started messing with it tonight and updated drivers and it seemed a bit more stable. I switched back to overclock mode and at one point the screen went black and the system did a reboot. So I’m wondering if my power supply needs swapped.

Right now I’m running a PowerSpec 750 watt bronze unit, I think that is tier c on the list. So perhaps that’s causing issues?

I’ll check on the bios update but I should be on one of the latest ones if not the latest.
If you reduce the power limit to the graphics card it can give you a pretty good idea of whether the problem lies with the PSU

I could, but I think that I'm going to go ahead and grab a power supply today while I'm out to be safe so I know my PC is getting clean power.

Best Buy is right down the road from work. Given my system above, they have these options in stock. Thoughts?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...tx-power-supply-black/6459243.p?skuId=6459243

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...tx-power-supply-black/6459244.p?skuId=6459244

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...tx-power-supply-black/6459241.p?skuId=6459241

I'm leaning towards the RMX 850. What is the difference between that and the RM 750? I imagine 750 would be enough. That way I'm not troubleshooting going forward worrying about if my power supply can handle the card.

logainofhades

Titan
Yea those PowerSpec bronze units are not very good. The gold rated ones are ok, but definitely would recommend something of higher quality. I wouldn't go with the cx750m. It's kinda meh, on quality, as well. I believe the RMx is a better quality unit, but the RM is just fine too. Hard to go wrong with either of those.

Reactions: RodroX