Discussion PowerColor RX 7900 XTX Reference Design

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Hello everyone,

I picked up a reference PowerColor RX 7900 XTX from Micro Center, I have 13 days left to return it, I've been trying to make sure my card is not affected by the junction temperature problem.

As you can see [Image for reference included below] GPU temps never went above 82 C, this is after running GTA V all day and doing 3D Mark Time Spy multiple times through out the day. GPU hotspot never went pass 105 C but the junction Temp did hit 110. As far as the clock the card fluctuates between 2400mhz and 2690 on occasions but it will not throttle below 2400. btw fans are not maxing out, im running them between 1000 rpm and 1600 rpm as that's bearable, at 100% the card is too loud.

My highest 3D Mark score on GPU only is 30,506 and my lowest on the GPU as well has been 28,635. If they had not made the report about this issue I'd probably think that I have a poor silicon lottery picked and that's why the card can't clock any higher but than again if it was really damage wouldn't it thermal throttle more aggressively? for context the rest of my system is as follows: Part List

52719789797_e8eb995bdf_b.jpg

KyaraM

Admirable
I'm not sure why you wonder if you have the cooling issue when you yourself are reporting the cooling issue via naming very high temperatures... return and get a custom model. Or get a 4070Ti, at least that card has decent cooling even on the MSRP models; my hotspot temp goes to laughable 68°C and VRAM is lower than that. And people wonder why I dislike AMD cards for those ridiculous temperatures and overheating issues...

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I'm not sure why you wonder if you have the cooling issue when you yourself are reporting the cooling issue via naming very high temperatures... return and get a custom model. Or get a 4070Ti, at least that card has decent cooling even on the MSRP models; my hotspot temp goes to laughable 68°C and VRAM is lower than that. And people wonder why I dislike AMD cards for those ridiculous temperatures and overheating issues...
I’m wondering because I have a sample size of one. -.-
The temps reported may as well be within the limits of the silicon. After that you can’t then say AMD manufacture defective products when the issue was isolated to the reference design. Thank you for suggesting AIB models but your question should have been if I have any reasons for going with the reference other than availability, keep in mind we sort of in a market when you take what you can get if you are budget conscious. In conclusion is not about AMD or Nvidia and even Intel, it’s about the best products for the best price, none of them are perfect, 12 pin connector?

KyaraM

Admirable
I’m wondering because I have a sample size of one. -.-
The temps reported may as well be within the limits of the silicon. After that you can’t then say AMD manufacture defective products when the issue was isolated to the reference design. Thank you for suggesting AIB models but your question should have been if I have any reasons for going with the reference other than availability, keep in mind we sort of in a market when you take what you can get if you are budget conscious. In conclusion is not about AMD or Nvidia and even Intel, it’s about the best products for the best price, none of them are perfect, 12 pin connector?
I got my custom model (well, there's any non-custom models I guess...) of the 4070Ti for MSRP without looking very far. And the situation shouldn't be much different elsewhere. The 7900 XT isn't rare, either. However, knowing the issue and still buying the card simply invites issues. There are reasons they are sold below MSRP here. In such cases, critical thinking is needed. If you can't switch to a better model, return and pray that the next one you get isn't part of the affected margin, but don't hold your breath. Or contact AMD or the manufacturer directly and hope they can help.

About the connector. Pure user error, nothing else. And Nvidia doesn't produce them, btw, so why bring it up at all?

logainofhades

Titan
Yes it is user error, but even so, it's a design in need of improvement. I believe even GN has said as such. I have a reference RX 6800, and I have never had any overheating issues. Anyone can make a bad product. Nvidia has had their fair share of failures, over the years. Not one company gets it right every time.