[SOLVED] powered off pc during Memory Diagnostics... im stupid.

Jun 7, 2020
I'm disappointed in myself for taking this risk because i knew it could end up bad and unfortunately it did...

so i was playing the game Valorant when my pc crashed randomly, i thought okay its a new game maybe thats why. then i played Fortnite for a short time when it crashed again. the stop code given was something like, tcpip.sys, and the other was driver_irql_not_less_or_equal.

so i googled some things to fix this and whatnot, and tried to do a Windows Memory Diagnostics. i ran the program. after a few minutes it got stuck at 17% and i left it there for about an hour. i came back and it was still at 17%. i stupidly, while not thinking at all, pressed and held the power button on my PC to turn it off. i turned it back on, aaaaand nothing happens. the lights light up on my pc, keyboard lights up, fans start moving, but no signal on my monitor. at that moment i realized what i had done was so very stupid.

i dont know what to do now. literally nothing appears on screen, so what is there to do? is something broken? clearly something is wrong but i cant tell when absolutely nothing shows up on screen.

i have
ryzen 3600
radeon 580
1tb HDD
120gb SSD

cant beleive i did that.. thanks for any input given..

Solution
ryzen 3600 - CPU
radeon 580 - GPU

Yes it could be ram since you getting memory errors and PC won't even start without ram.
be easier to find new ram for motherboard if it listed the CPU here - https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-doc but a 3600 is a Matisse which isn't listed. I have seen this before with Gigabyte boards.

if you search this website for GA-AB350 Gaming 3 it will show a range of ram choices that match your motherboard. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/memoryfinder?type=motherboard (I know its there, I looked)

checking to see what im missing with this ram thing :)

edit: it seems as long as ram is on one of the listings, it should work with CPU, Another mod noticed...

Colif

Win 11 Master
tcpip.sys = Internet driver for windows. I would have suggested updating LAN driver but anyway

Need to reset startup to normal

what motherboard is it?
See if we can boot off USB as its only windows that is dead, not PC.
Do you have an installer USB? If not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Boot from USB
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
Choose Command Prompt
type this
bcdedit.exe /deletevalue {bootmgr} toolsdisplayorder
and press enter
https://old.windowsvalley.com/addremove-windows-memory-diagnostic-tool-from-windows-boot-manager/

restart PC and see if it works
Note: this is from Windows 7, it may not work now

Jun 7, 2020
tcpip.sys = Internet driver for windows. I would have suggested updating LAN driver but anyway

Need to reset startup to normal

what motherboard is it?
See if we can boot off USB as its only windows that is dead, not PC.
Do you have an installer USB? If not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Boot from USB
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
Choose Command Prompt
type this
and press enter
https://old.windowsvalley.com/addremove-windows-memory-diagnostic-tool-from-windows-boot-manager/

restart PC and see if it works
Note: this is from Windows 7, it may not work now

I see, thank you! I will try this hopefully within the next few days. Any regular USB will work? Also may i ask why the last part of the instructions is necessary (to add or remove the Diagnostic tool)?

also the motherboard is a Gigabyte A350 gaming motherboard.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might want a 16gb USB as installer is getting big. You can delete it afterwards if you like.

Also may i ask why the last part of the instructions is necessary (to add or remove the Diagnostic tool)?
because I think that is what startup is trying to run every time you restart PC, so setting startup to normal might get you past that blank screen. It is based on what you were running when you restarted at 17%

the link is just there to show I am not making it all up, you don't have to look at it :) (I trained as a library technician, showing the source is sort of built in now)

Jun 7, 2020
You might want a 16gb USB as installer is getting big. You can delete it afterwards if you like.

because I think that is what startup is trying to run every time you restart PC, so setting startup to normal might get you past that blank screen. It is based on what you were running when you restarted at 17%

the link is just there to show I am not making it all up, you don't have to look at it :) (I trained as a library technician, showing the source is sort of built in now)

haha no problem, i like it (y)

im clearly not great with pc stuff, so i wanted to ask, is this pretty easy to do? like to bootup everything up etc?

i guess im just nervous about doing all this, i dont want to accidentally ruin it any further

Colif

Win 11 Master
Boot from USB
Put USB with installer into PC before starting pc
start PC & Press Del key to enter bios,
Press F2 to go into advanced view
Go to the Save & exit tab
Choose Boot Override
Find the USB in listing. Pc will restart and boot from USB this one time.

This is your motherboard manual - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ab350-gaming3_e.pdf
if you look on page 34, it shows the save & exit screen of the bios

note: Boot override is a great feature, it lets you boot off a device once without needing to disturb the normal boot order of PC. Very safe.

the installer will ask for languages, the show the install screen. Choose repair this pc from below the install button.
Windows will load into a Blue menu - this is windows recovery.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
Choose Command Prompt
type this
and press enter
close Command Prompt
restart PC and hopefully it works normally.

Jun 7, 2020
Boot from USB
Put USB with installer into PC before starting pc
start PC & Press Del key to enter bios,
Press F2 to go into advanced view
Go to the Save & exit tab
Choose Boot Override
Find the USB in listing. Pc will restart and boot from USB this one time.

This is your motherboard manual - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ab350-gaming3_e.pdf
if you look on page 34, it shows the save & exit screen of the bios

note: Boot override is a great feature, it lets you boot off a device once without needing to disturb the normal boot order of PC. Very safe.

the installer will ask for languages, the show the install screen. Choose repair this pc from below the install button.
Windows will load into a Blue menu - this is windows recovery.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
Choose Command Prompt
type this
and press enter
close Command Prompt
restart PC and hopefully it works normally.

okay thanks very much.
i havemt done any of this yet as i dont have a USB with enough space on it at the moment, but i have another question though, and this one is kinda making me fear the worst now. when i turn my pc on, there is absolutely nothing on screen. no PC company symbol shows up (like normally there would be something right before Windows tries to boot up im pretty sure? like before this happened i would turn my PC on and the logo would show up and say Pro Series, and then it goes away and windows would load.
now it doesnt do that. im worried that some piece of hardware may be broke now. perhaps the RAM but im not sure. Is it normal if windows is broke for absolutely nothing to appear on screen?

Colif

Win 11 Master
No, you should see a BIOS flash screen at startup
have you tried another cable between monitor and PC? doubtful but worth a try. different connection type, HDMI vs Display port?

Problem with ryzen is you can't run it without the GPU.
I wonder if GPU fans spin up at startup

It does sound more complicated than I first thought. You might need to get PC repaired as if it doesn't even show a picture, you can't do anything.

Jun 7, 2020
No, you should see a BIOS flash screen at startup
have you tried another cable between monitor and PC? doubtful but worth a try. different connection type, HDMI vs Display port?

Problem with ryzen is you can't run it without the GPU.
I wonder if GPU fans spin up at startup

It does sound more complicated than I first thought. You might need to get PC repaired as if it doesn't even show a picture, you can't do anything.

my fans start up fine. but i guess that doesnt mean its working? could it be that the RAM is broke? since when i turned off my PC i was in the Memory Diagnostics program which checks the RAM. i dont know if this is out of your realm of knowledge regarding PC's but i do appreciate the input very much.

if it was the GPU, that means its the Ryzen 3600 piece, right? i dont really know of anywhere i could get this repaired... just sucks that my mistake could end up this catastrophic to the PC..

edit: also, i highly doubt its the connection (i use display port) as i was just using the PC, powered off, powered back on immediately and then get no display. so it must be something else wrong.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ryzen 3600 - CPU
radeon 580 - GPU

Yes it could be ram since you getting memory errors and PC won't even start without ram.
be easier to find new ram for motherboard if it listed the CPU here - https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-doc but a 3600 is a Matisse which isn't listed. I have seen this before with Gigabyte boards.

if you search this website for GA-AB350 Gaming 3 it will show a range of ram choices that match your motherboard. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/memoryfinder?type=motherboard (I know its there, I looked)

checking to see what im missing with this ram thing :)

edit: it seems as long as ram is on one of the listings, it should work with CPU, Another mod noticed same situation on weekend.

Last edited:
Solution

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
On a side note, do you have a motherboard speaker/buzzer/EZ Debug light? I know that 350 chipsets usually don't come with either, but it's a good thing to get one as the PC might be outputting a start error but not doing anything. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Motherboard+Speaker you're looking for something like these, black tiny cylinders with a hole in the center, wired to a rectangular slot. Should be pretty cheap (or you can salvage one from an old PC) when you get one, plug it to the IO pins (ones labeled SPEAKER), your mobo manual says where it is. Then boot again and listen for beeps if there is any.