Question Powered USB 3.0 Hub not working over KVM or KVM Extender

Angent56

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
I recently bought a Powered USB 3.0 Hub off Amazon (link below) and have been trying to get different peripherals to work via a KVM (link below) that I have on my desk, and a KVM Extender (link below) that goes to the TV in my living room.

For simplicity sake, all testing was done with either the KVM or KVM Extender plugged in - never both at the same time.

The keyboard and mouse both work through the KVMs USB ports, but my Webcam, DS4 (via USB cable) and Bluetooth adapter dongle - do not work through these ports. I then bought a Powered USB 3.0 Hub which works as expected with any of the devices, when plugged directly into the PC.

I plugged into the power outlet on the wall (in the office, and then in the living room), and then into the KB or Mouse slot on either of the KVMs and again, only my mouse and keyboard work. I tried each device on its own, using each of the USB ports on the Hub and nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any ideas why this wouldn't be working the way I expect it to?

Happy to provide further information if needed.

Powered USB Hub
KVM
KVM Extender
Bluetooth Adapter

Edit: For clarity, the Bluetooth dongle is USB 2.0 and does not run on either KVM. The light turns on, so I know it has power, but it is not recognised as a Bluetooth adapter - the same way it is recognised when I plug it directly into the PC.

Last edited:
its possible that your KVM doesnt detect it if that powered usb hub doesnt use 5v from kvm, if you dont see usb hub in device manager when connected to kvm, then theres no workaround...maybe if you put some resistor on 5v rail inside kvm, so it will detect something there and enable usb data

Angent56

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
its possible that your KVM doesnt detect it if that powered usb hub doesnt use 5v from kvm, if you dont see usb hub in device manager when connected to kvm, then theres no workaround...maybe if you put some resistor on 5v rail inside kvm, so it will detect something there and enable usb data
I do not see the USB hub in USB Tree or Device manager when plugged into the KVM. I can connect my mouse to the hub -> then the hub to KVM and it will work, but again I don't see it anywhere.
Is this a USB HUB chain issue - or will I need another device - such as a USB extender over ethernet - just to get my devices to work over the KVM extender?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts