Powered USB hub not getting enough resources (after installing SSD)

bryan gregory

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
This happened after I added an SSD to my PC. I installed a fresh copy of windows on the SSD but also kept my HDD (I'm booting from the SSD). I've reinstalled all my drivers, including the ones for my motherboard (GA-Z77X-UD3H by Gigabyte). My USB setup worked completely fine when I was using only my HDD.

Here was my setup before: I used 4 of my motherboard's 3.0 ports: one of them being used by an Anker 10-port USB 3.0 hub (which was 8/10 filled). Two of the devices on the Anker are actually USB hubs with their own devices (2/4 and 3/4 filled respectively). That's a grand total of 17 devices, including the USB hubs themselves.

That was the setup that worked. Now I've unplugged one of the extra hubs (it would give me the "not enough resources" error if I had it plugged in) as well as one of the USB devices that used to be on it.

One of the devices I had on the Anker is an Apple charger, and if I plugged it into my iPod, I would once again get the "not enough resources" error. Keep in mind this is a USB hub getting its own power separate from the computer.

I moved the Apple charger to the front USB ports on my case, and I can use it to charge my iPod now (however this is inconvenient for me, I'd rather have it on the hub). For some reason, the OS (Windows 10, by the way) simply won't allow me to load up things on the Anker now. Why has it worked up until now?

Update: The Apple charger now works on the Anker, but only if it plug it into the very last slot. At this point, I'm tempted to just buy a new motherboard. My current one is definitely mocking me.

Solution
"Not enough resources" doesn't necessarily mean insufficient power (indeed that's unlikely with a mains-powered hub).

It can also mean there's not enough memory address space to support that many devices all at the same time:

https://plugable.com/2015/09/08/not-enough-usb-controller-resources/

"Not enough resources" doesn't necessarily mean insufficient power (indeed that's unlikely with a mains-powered hub).

It can also mean there's not enough memory address space to support that many devices all at the same time:

https://plugable.com/2015/09/08/not-enough-usb-controller-resources/

Solution