Powering a 2500W Amp with a PSU. Any idea's on a suitable PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckroad

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Ok, so, I like many am trying to power my Car Amp with a PSU. I have a Memphis Mojo 16-MCD2500 Mono Block Class D Amp. I already have my mids and tweeters hooked up to a separate receiver and they run flawlessly. My issue is, finding a PSU with enough Current to actually power my Amp without drawing so much that it shuts off. Any suggestions on a suitable PSU that will solve my problem?

On a Side note, the Amp is powering 2 Solo barrick 15" L7 Kickers. 2000W Peak, 1000W rsm. I don't plan on pushing it past the 1000W rms, but would like to come pretty close if possible.

beckroad

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015

As I said, just trying to get close or have a decent power supply. Saw someone mention using 3 batteries in parallel with a charger that would run over night, not to sure if it's viable, but i'm open to suggestions, a simple 30A power supply isn't what i'm looking for, but after this many posts, I thought someone might have come up with a viable PSU, even a step down transformer converting AC/DC 120V-12V was one suggestion. Any input?

A step down transformer cannot convert AC to DC. The idea of using car batteries and a charger should work but you would want deep discharge marine batteries and then the charger. Seems like you are looking for the hard solution when a real home sub amp is the easier, maybe better, maybe cheaper way to go.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
You need to find out what the actual current draw is on that amp.
In common with most car amps they inflate the power of the amp to absurd levels.
The actual power of that amp is 625 W RMS.
If the efficiency is in the 80% range then you would be looking at about a 750W power draw,so you would need a PSU with 62.5A on the 12V rail.
But since that efficiency is a guess you will need to find out what the amp actually uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.