[SOLVED] Powering my 2070 super

Jan 26, 2021
Never built a PC before. I am using a Gigabyte Aorus 2070 super and a 1200 watt Corsair HX series PSU. The PSU only comes with 2 daisy-chain style PCIE type 4 cords for powering the video card (PCIe 8-pin (6+2) cable). They have one 8 pin on one end and essentially 16 pins on the other (2 sets of 8). There are no regular PCIe cables with only 8 pins on each end. I just saw a video on YouTube (JayZ 2cents) about beginner mistakes. He said modern higher end video cards draw too much power for the daisy-chain style cables and that I am better off with 2 regular cables with only 8 pins on each end. Will I be ok or do I need to find different cables? Should I use both daisy chain cables instead of just one? It would look kinda messy and would rather not.

Solution
The manual for that power supply says it provides 83 amps on the 12v rail...I don't think you'll have any issue with powering a 2070 using the daisy chain.

Since even overclocked a 2070 shouldn't need more than 250 watts and there are three 12v pins on the standard 8 pin connector that should be 250w / 12v = 20amps draw.

20amps / 3 connectors means approx 6amps per 12v lead in the connector. You shouldn't have any issues.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're probably ok. Unfortunately, there exists no official statements like, 'daisy chain is ok without fail'.
It depends on the psu and the gpu.
It is widely accepted to use separate cables whenever possible; besides, that's easier on the cable(s).

Your call at the end of the day.

While it is common for people to recommend using separate cables (and if you have enough cables then sure why not use separate ones) there doesn't seem to be a significant amount of evidence pointing to failure caused by using daisy-chained cables.

My thinking is that if the PSU manufacture supplied your PSU with daisy-chained cables, they obviously consider the PSU to be capable of operating under such conditions and feel strongly that using them as such will not damage anything and lead to warranty claims (which they will then have to shell out for).

I personally haven't had any issues using my Corsair AX1000 with it's supplied daisy-chain cables and my RTX 2080. I would say not to sweat it if your only real option is to daisy chain, but that's just me.

Jan 13, 2021
Never built a PC before. I am using a Gigabyte Aorus 2070 super and a 1200 watt Corsair HX series PSU. The PSU only comes with 2 daisy-chain style PCIE type 4 cords for powering the video card (PCIe 8-pin (6+2) cable). They have one 8 pin on one end and essentially 16 pins on the other (2 sets of 8). There are no regular PCIe cables with only 8 pins on each end. I just saw a video on YouTube (JayZ 2cents) about beginner mistakes. He said modern higher end video cards draw too much power for the daisy-chain style cables and that I am better off with 2 regular cables with only 8 pins on each end. Will I be ok or do I need to find different cables? Should I use both daisy chain cables instead of just one? It would look kinda messy and would rather not.

both cables are highly recommended , the reason is that if you use one instead of two , this one cable will go through more currency , it means generate more heat , means cable has more chance to get burned , once it burns , the other components might be involved , and this is out of some hardware vendors' warranty range . of course if you have confidence in your cable quality , you can still go with one cable
hope this'll be helpful

The manual for that power supply says it provides 83 amps on the 12v rail...I don't think you'll have any issue with powering a 2070 using the daisy chain.

Since even overclocked a 2070 shouldn't need more than 250 watts and there are three 12v pins on the standard 8 pin connector that should be 250w / 12v = 20amps draw.

20amps / 3 connectors means approx 6amps per 12v lead in the connector. You shouldn't have any issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: KarlSpuhl
Solution