So I am in the middle of buying parts for my first build. I have mostly everything except a cpu and a gpu. Is it possible to test the motherboard, case fans, etc. To see if they work without the cpu or gpu installed? I want to make sure before I accidentally kill my first build before getting to use it.
In the case of some motherboards equipped with a type of BIOS flash, they can be powered without said in order to update the BIOS to the version needed. This is specifically important to some chipset and CPU versions of modern AMD. If you aren't familiar with that aspect, then my advice is that you don't and read your motherboard manual closely, maybe watch a few videos....GL
Strictly for a BIOS update, yes. No more 'functional' than that, and you won't know the BIOS was successfully updated (without issue) until you put a compatible CPU in...
There's no way to know a motherboard is functional with a CPU/RAM installed. Fans won't spin without either.
In a very basic sense, the board doesn't know what to do without it's 'brain' (the CPU).
Honestly, it's a better idea to save the money & buy all at once. If it takes you X days/weeks/months to get everything else, you're likely well past your return period for any componenti n the event it's DOA.
However, now that you have most of the parts, focus on getting the CPU. Unless it's a Ryzen CPU, you should have some form of integrated graphics you could use to test initially.
If it is a Ryzen CPU, can you borrow a basic, functional GPU from anybody in the meantime?
I wasn't even thinking about the possibility of any part being DOA, so that's on me if that does happen.
I'm using a ryzen 2700x, but in this small town I live in, I don't know of anyone i could ask to borrow a gpu right now.
I was able to test my psu, which works fine as far as a paperclip test goes. The motherboard I'm using is a gigabyte x570 gaming x. I did notice the flash button, however I was unsure of what it would do without a cpu, so I figured I would wait.
The 2700x, which is $160, I should be able to get this next week, though it will be another month or two before I can get the gpu which is $400.
Out of curiosity, why did you opt for an X570 board to then populate with a 2700X? B450 or X470 would've been more than adequate, and likely a fair bit cheaper?
Borrow/buy... once you have the CPU, I'd seriously consider buying a basic display 'out' GPU locally if available, $10-$20 variety, just to test. While if all works well, you're "out" said $20, if something is a problem, you may well "save" >$50 depending on the component just by being able to return it in good time.
If something is DOA and you miss the retailers return window, you can still proceed with an RMA from any manufacturer, so you're not out-out the money.... but you would have to ship the part to X manufacturer and wait from a reply/return, so you'd be out time + one-way shipping costs.
I would take the complete opposite track on the return of that board, tell you why...
That board will operate your 2700X with no problems, should offer good PBO, and good memory support for fast RAM. AMD has stated that this next release of Ryzen (4xxx) is 'supposed to' socket into AM4 boards just fine. Being (possibly) one chipset behind, assuming they even create a new one, will be better feature wise, than being two. For the future you will also have the faster PCI to upgrade to should you decide there is need and worth in it.