[SOLVED] Powerline Adapter and Power Strip

Nightwinq

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Might be a dumb question but could a powerstrip and a powerline adapter plugged into the same outlet cause the powerline adapter to not work as well?

Solution
The ones I've used in the past didn't want anything else plugged into that outlet.
A power strip would work, it's just an extension of the wires, but you need to check your specs on the adapter you have to see if it will work with other things plugged in.

popatim

Titan
The ones I've used in the past didn't want anything else plugged into that outlet.
A power strip would work, it's just an extension of the wires, but you need to check your specs on the adapter you have to see if it will work with other things plugged in.

Reactions: RealBeast
Solution
Aug 10, 2020
Unlikely. The power line networking adapter send radio frequency signal over power wires instead of air like wifi. Big inductance dropping transformers at the pole and RF chokes block these signals and capacitors short those signals. Rarely are chokes and capacitors used in power strips. A power strip usually has a switch and if UL listed, a fuse or a fusible link. Surge protectors add an MOS (like Zinc Oxide) that trap high voltage transients; the best ones usually add surge protection to cable and ethernet and also include chokes and capacitors on the line to trap radio frequency interference and block your powerline adapter. I have plugged PLAs into my computer's metal power strips and it worked fine. For homes where walls reflect or absorb wifi , powerline networking is a workaround. Of course I would just run network cable, still have 1/2 of a 500 foot spool of cat 6e.