[SOLVED] powerline Adapter causing issues when gaming Netgear Pl1000v2

Nightwinq

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
This has been an ongoing issue for years throughout multiple games such as CSGO, Valorant, Halo Infinite, R6s pretty much any game that's an fps and is multiplayer. This used to only happen on high tickrate servers like 128 on csgo and valorant but now it even happens on 64 tick on csgo. When i play overwatch with a much lower tickrate though i have no problems. I get random stutters that teleport me back and shots not registering at all not in a game issue related way. Here are some examples. This also only happens on my powerline adapter. I had an old one tp link adapter and it never happened on and neither on wifi. Plugging an ethernet cable fixes the problem but that's why Im using a powerline adapter because I'm on the other side of the house and my wifi is being used by 2 other people and on multiple devices.

https://gyazo.com/d24522a57373bb7bd30db6721d1f757e
This one could just be a game issue but everyone i know who plays says it is just me and when i watch streams it doesn't take this long to kill someone is relatively quick. Also getting stutter similar to the below examples in halo.

https://gyazo.com/d16814faa837bb60ef178dfdbf81a113
https://gyazo.com/e3a4e03303af4f10e60d94dba15260b9
https://gyazo.com/4bf516d5bf42cb36c6f45aa35fdbf299
https://gyazo.com/d86714b3fde5cff08825935d1a50ff9b
https://gyazo.com/ae333c0eda9472222f0b78f85e6c21bb

also worth noting my old adapter was a tp link av500 and also has included wifi. It wasn't in my room so i never plugged an ethernet cable inside of it but my uncle had no problems using it with ethernet and i played on the wifi of it and had no problems in games such as csgo until I replaced it with the one listed above and was the only one using it with ethernet.

Solution
Let a constant ping run to the router IP. What you are looking for is packet loss or very large spikes in the latency. If you see problems with the ping command it could be a issue with the internet or something else.

Powerline is pretty stable which is why it recommended over wifi for games. It could be interference from some device. Generally it is stuff with motors but it can really be anything in your house.

I would be sure to have the powerline units directly plugged into outlets. Trying to find a offending device is tricky. The best way would be to turn off all the circuit breakers except the 2 running the router and your pc. This would eliminate most the stuff in your house with 1 test.

Do you have coax...
Let a constant ping run to the router IP. What you are looking for is packet loss or very large spikes in the latency. If you see problems with the ping command it could be a issue with the internet or something else.

Powerline is pretty stable which is why it recommended over wifi for games. It could be interference from some device. Generally it is stuff with motors but it can really be anything in your house.

I would be sure to have the powerline units directly plugged into outlets. Trying to find a offending device is tricky. The best way would be to turn off all the circuit breakers except the 2 running the router and your pc. This would eliminate most the stuff in your house with 1 test.

Do you have coax tv cable in both rooms. MoCA of all the non ethernet technologies is the least affected by outside interference.

Solution

Nightwinq

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019

Do you have coax tv cable in both rooms. MoCA of all the non ethernet technologies is the least affected by outside interference.
I have looked into moca but i don't have an outlet for a coax cable anywhere in my room.
I pinged my router through cmd and tested it multiple times and have 0 packet loss and latency is always 1ms
its weird though because i was in a different room farther away from the router using wifi from a tp-link powerline adapter but the room I'm in now is closer and I'm using the ethernet from the Netgear adapter and it feels worse. Im not sure if its possibly a faulty adapter and i need to buy a new tp link one or if its something else

If you have no loss to the router that implies that the powerline is not the problem.

This means either the problem is past the router or it is something strange about your PC.

Let the ping run in a background window while you play games. When the game has issue quickly tab over and see if the ping sees issues. Sometimes it is load related, it work fine with no traffic but has issues with traffic.

I would also see if you pc has any so called "gamer" network junk. This comes bundled with motherboards and video cards. It has a number of names but the one you see with video cards is called CFOSspeed. Anything that claims to give games priority or any type of QoS network software should be uninstalled.

Nightwinq

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
If you have no loss to the router that implies that the powerline is not the problem.

This means either the problem is past the router or it is something strange about your PC.

Let the ping run in a background window while you play games. When the game has issue quickly tab over and see if the ping sees issues. Sometimes it is load related, it work fine with no traffic but has issues with traffic.

I would also see if you pc has any so called "gamer" network junk. This comes bundled with motherboards and video cards. It has a number of names but the one you see with video cards is called CFOSspeed. Anything that claims to give games priority or any type of QoS network software should be uninstalled.
I've been currently playing halo for around an hour now and have zero stutters or issues that were happening before. I unplugged the adapter from the router room and plugged it back in so I'm not sure. i will keep monitoring just in case though on multiple games.
This has been happening on the past 3 computers I've had i have reset my computer recently also so I'm not sure

Nightwinq

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019

after the first hour i began to stutter like once or twice and i saw in cmd that it went to 2ms. It is much better than normally though. Normally it happens multiple times and when fighting people it feels like i have high ping but currently only two small stutters and no teleporting around when getting shot at.

Here are some more recent examples

https://gyazo.com/01efe68083cf0c6e30c696a6494bfae3

https://gyazo.com/a356dd942102b5897b619ca08ca5c31c

https://gyazo.com/ec66a4e3639e345752f4bc262e3c62ba

https://gyazo.com/693cc43f71eeb44480e5a940516754b8

https://gyazo.com/70388e36fc868efc98f2226659d6cfa0

https://gyazo.com/13b94d0f2f13a0b865cdd4d6331fbdd4

https://gyazo.com/2696c10e3da0ce465656812418b24155

https://gyazo.com/9d9e44b12651b1d4f58660f22d549fb4

Last edited:
2ms us nothing it is more testing error than actual delays. It will take 100s of ms spike to see it in a game. Even one here or there you will not see. When it is a problem you will see either packet loss or large number of large latency in a row. It is extremely rare on a ethernet cable but very common on wifi. Sometimes you see it on powerline but you are not seeing any issue on your powerline connections.

Are you really sure you are not getting loss to the internet. Leave a ping run to 8.8.8.8 instead.

If this also shows nothing large it has to be the game somehow. What makes no sense is how the game would know if it is connected directly via ethernet or if the ethernet is connected to the powerline units.

This generally is caused by video drivers or settings when you can't find a actual network problem.

Nightwinq

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
2ms us nothing it is more testing error than actual delays. It will take 100s of ms spike to see it in a game. Even one here or there you will not see. When it is a problem you will see either packet loss or large number of large latency in a row. It is extremely rare on a ethernet cable but very common on wifi. Sometimes you see it on powerline but you are not seeing any issue on your powerline connections.

Are you really sure you are not getting loss to the internet. Leave a ping run to 8.8.8.8 instead.

If this also shows nothing large it has to be the game somehow. What makes no sense is how the game would know if it is connected directly via ethernet or if the ethernet is connected to the powerline units.

This generally is caused by video drivers or settings when you can't find a actual network problem.
When pinging to 8.8.8.8 i had a couple of spikes go from 9-12 ms to 94-250 ms. Also when i left a discord call and then restarted the game i stopped lagging a lot. its similar to when i first joined the call for the first like hour it was fine with little spikes but the longer i stayed in it became very laggy ingame. When i was in the call i was feeling like i was playing on high ping but i had good ping in cmd and discord. it felt very stuttery but after i left the call and restarted the game i played a 10 minute game and had little to no stutters. i still get stutters with discord closed but it isnt even close to being as bad in a call. Most of the first clips from valorant happened when i wasn't in a discord call so i don't think that discord is the sole problem but i feel like it happens more frequently in one.

Last edited:

Nightwinq

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019

Do you think its worth to buy a new powerline adapter to be specific a tp link av2000 or do you think its not a powerline adapter issue? If it doesn't fix the problem i can return it.

Not very likely. The main difference between the 1000 and 2000 models is that they use mimo and try to feed 2 data streams similar to wifi. This in some ways might be worse because it is try to use a more complex signal which would have more issue if there was interference.

I don't think it is the powerline units. Powerline units are much like ethernet cables the data either gets from 1 point to the other with no error or it is discarded. There is no data retransmission. You would see packet loss not latency spikes.

Wifi is one of the very few data protocols that do data retransmission and can get latency spikes in the data transmission.

From reading this you have already shown it is not the powerline units because you did a ping to your router and got no loss and no ping spikes.

This means it is either your internet connection or something very strange with the software running on your PC. Be very sure there is no "gamer" network software running. It is many times bundled with motherboards or video cards.

Nightwinq

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Not very likely. The main difference between the 1000 and 2000 models is that they use mimo and try to feed 2 data streams similar to wifi. This in some ways might be worse because it is try to use a more complex signal which would have more issue if there was interference.

I don't think it is the powerline units. Powerline units are much like ethernet cables the data either gets from 1 point to the other with no error or it is discarded. There is no data retransmission. You would see packet loss not latency spikes.

Wifi is one of the very few data protocols that do data retransmission and can get latency spikes in the data transmission.

From reading this you have already shown it is not the powerline units because you did a ping to your router and got no loss and no ping spikes.

This means it is either your internet connection or something very strange with the software running on your PC. Be very sure there is no "gamer" network software running. It is many times bundled with motherboards or video cards.
How do i go about removing the gamer software? I cant seem to find anything on google. Is it just using the windows uninstaller and looking for it? Also last question Would resetting my PC possibly fix the issue or at least uninstall the software or does it reinstall after a reset.

It may not exist then. It tends to be very obvious they don't hide it they think it is great "feature". It is just more software for stupid gamers who think if it says "gamer" on the box it must make it better.

The other thing we have seen more lately is issue with 2.5g ports. If you machine has a 2.5g port check that you have the latest drivers for. Get them directly from the manufacture site like intel do not use the gerneic ones microsoft installs.

This is looking more and more like a issue with something else. Many times it is a video driver or one of the many video setting in a game. You could try to turn everything down to the lowest value and see if the problem goes away and then slowly turn thing back up.

Nightwinq

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
It may not exist then. It tends to be very obvious they don't hide it they think it is great "feature". It is just more software for stupid gamers who think if it says "gamer" on the box it must make it better.

The other thing we have seen more lately is issue with 2.5g ports. If you machine has a 2.5g port check that you have the latest drivers for. Get them directly from the manufacture site like intel do not use the gerneic ones microsoft installs.

This is looking more and more like a issue with something else. Many times it is a video driver or one of the many video setting in a game. You could try to turn everything down to the lowest value and see if the problem goes away and then slowly turn thing back up.
Turns out i have wifi 6 on my laptop so i think i will just get a wifi mesh or something and use wifi since some people have been saying its better than using a powerline adapter.

SOME people is a idiot.

Wifi is never a good choice for online games. The fundamental design of its error recovery is exactly the opposite of what a game need. Wifi has variable latency because of this but a game is using the ping time/latency to estimate and sync the location the player sees in his client with the actual location in the server. It must be a consistent number for this coordination of position to work correctly. Online games are very different than almost every other form of network traffic.

Powerline along with pretty much any other type of network connection will just drop data that is in error. If you get too much loss it will affect a game but it causes much less issues than random delays.

In addition wifi6 buys you nothing really over wifi5 unless all your device support wifi6 including your router and all have support for what is called MU-MIMO. Even if this feature works it is more for sharing the wifi bandwidth inside your house between your device. It does not fix the interference issues from your neighbors wifi.

You also never want to buy mesh systems unless you have no other option this makes all the wifi problems that affect games much much worse.

You need to stop believing 13yr old gamers who post garbage with no knowledge of how thing really function.

Nightwinq

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
SOME people is a idiot.

Wifi is never a good choice for online games. The fundamental design of its error recovery is exactly the opposite of what a game need. Wifi has variable latency because of this but a game is using the ping time/latency to estimate and sync the location the player sees in his client with the actual location in the server. It must be a consistent number for this coordination of position to work correctly. Online games are very different than almost every other form of network traffic.

Powerline along with pretty much any other type of network connection will just drop data that is in error. If you get too much loss it will affect a game but it causes much less issues than random delays.

In addition wifi6 buys you nothing really over wifi5 unless all your device support wifi6 including your router and all have support for what is called MU-MIMO. Even if this feature works it is more for sharing the wifi bandwidth inside your house between your device. It does not fix the interference issues from your neighbors wifi.

You also never want to buy mesh systems unless you have no other option this makes all the wifi problems that affect games much much worse.

You need to stop believing 13yr old gamers who post garbage with no knowledge of how thing really function.
ive had little to no issues over the past couple of days using my powerline adapter so i haven't bought anything yet was just curious since some people on a home networking subreddit were saying powerline was the worst way to connect to the internet

As compared to what wifi. Real ethernet and moca are better but not wifi.

Again you have pretty much anyone with a computer that posts to forums. They think their "opinion" actually means something especially if they do nothing to actually give justification and just state their opinion as fact.

Wifi will likely be faster to download a game if you want to use that as the main criteria. Actually playing the game wifi is the worst option. As I explained above the game is using the latency to calculate the position in the game.

Note I have worked in networking since before ethernet interfaces for pc even existed. I held the top cisco cert CCIE for more than 15yrs before I retired. Many of the self proclaimed experts on reddit were not likely even born when I first got my CCIE.

Last edited: