[SOLVED] Powerline adapter connection gets increasingly slower the longer its plugged in

will0104

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
So I have a powerline adapter, but also a house with pretty old wiring so it already takes a bit of a hit when it comes to speeds. I have tried many different plugs to find the fastest one. However, I notice initially when I plug in the adapter and test the connection, i get okay speeds (around 60mbps) however after a undetermined amount of time, this shoots down to around 5mbps, and will resolve to the original speed after being unplugged and put back in. Other than using this typical turning it off and on again, I have no idea how to maintain the stable connection.

Solution
Sadly this is the reality of Powerline in older houses. It will work fine, until it doesn't.

What happens is that you get some interference in the powerline system (neighbour uses their microwave, garage door opens, toaster pops etc) and the adapter sees that interference and drops down to the lower speed to compensate and make sure you still get a good connection.

I have found that avoiding extension leads is important for powerline speeds. Try to plug the adapters directly into the wall.

If you have this type with passthrough, don't actually use the passthrough.

image.png

Some brands do better than others at changing speeds to compensate for interference. I find that the Netgear ones work best...

Lutfij

Titan
If your crib isn't spread across a large area and the rooms aren't remote...why didn't you go for a reliable wireless router? Powerline adapters Achilles heel is poorly wired houses. Perhaps see if you can contact an electrician to scope out the wire used in the house you're living in.

Side note, mind sharing the make and model of your powerline adapter? I'm assuming you're paying for a 60Mbps connection from your ISP?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Sadly this is the reality of Powerline in older houses. It will work fine, until it doesn't.

What happens is that you get some interference in the powerline system (neighbour uses their microwave, garage door opens, toaster pops etc) and the adapter sees that interference and drops down to the lower speed to compensate and make sure you still get a good connection.

I have found that avoiding extension leads is important for powerline speeds. Try to plug the adapters directly into the wall.

If you have this type with passthrough, don't actually use the passthrough.

image.png

Some brands do better than others at changing speeds to compensate for interference. I find that the Netgear ones work best, and will actually auto-negotiate the speed up again once the interference has passed.

I live in a 1960s house and we use these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-PL1000-100UKS-Powerline-Ethernet-Homeplug/dp/B01BD9TFI4

They don't have passthrough so if my wife finds them she can't plug the hoover into them, and the chipset is pretty damn good. Obviously I don't get anything close to 1Gbit, it's more like 100Mbit, but it's pretty stable.

Solution

will0104

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
Im running these, TP-LINK TL-PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit - Twin Pack : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories, which I have ahd for quite a while now. In comment to going the wifi option. as the house is old, the wall are all brick so that means the wifi is also pretty bad.

The connection is definitely good, rarely get lag etc, just annoying getting downloads going at 2mb/s rather than getting as high as 10 etc. Its only a rented house so will just have to wait it out

There tends to be a huge difference between those units and the newer technology. They are being stupid again with the numbers. You want a unit that has a number bigger than 1000. Even if you were to buy the ones that have a 2400 number you might get 300mbps max. Very hard to compare these with the naming the way it is but even the 1000 number ones you should get over 100mbps. BUT it depends on your house too.

If you are going to spend money and have coax cables in both room I would look at MoCA instead. The newer technology can get gigabit speeds but a pair will run you about $120.