Question Powerline Adapter Help

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Newly constructed home with no cable or ethernet installed in the walls. ISP modem and WiFi-6 router just installed in the basement next to the power entry panel.
Two story raised ranch.
I was considering a TP Link AV1300 installation on one branch, question is, if it doesn't carry to the other branch well enough, can a second pair be added to that branch.
I also have a boxed mesh system in storage.
What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, you can use a number of additional nodes. I use 4 TP link in a difficult area for wireless and they work fine since they are all newer models like yours. The limiting speed for your network will be what you can get over the PL adapters from the basement up to the main floors. But it should be quite useable. Different TP-Link models should work together, although I would avoid using older models that will slow down the PL network.

Reactions: JohnMGotts

RealBeast

Titan
Thanks for your reply. I'm still considering whether or not to get the Deco X55 and just bypass PL all together.
I drill holes, I'm like a giant termite. I have a big collection of very long drill bits. My house build in 1989 has CAT 6A cable to most areas, I've found that if you are willing to do a fair amount of drywall repair a ceiling is not an obstacle to the obstinate. ;) I try to do the most intensive stuff when the wife is not around, she worries. :rolleyes:

Reactions: stonecarver
It all depends on what your main use of your network is.

Wifi solution many times have more bandwidth than powerline. The key problem is wifi is one of the few network systems that does actually data retransmisson rather than leave it to the application. Because of interference causing data damage you can get very inconsistent latency.

Pretty much only online games are affected a lot by this and that seems to be the main use case for people who post on these forums.

Games since they use almost no bandwidth prefer the slower but much more stable connection provided by powerline. Almost every other app uses buffers to hide the latency variations.

If you have coax cable MoCA is a much better choice. It can get full gigabit speeds and has none of the latency spike problems.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
I drill holes, I'm like a giant termite. I have a big collection of very long drill bits. My house build in 1989 has CAT 6A cable to most areas, I've found that if you are willing to do a fair amount of drywall repair a ceiling is not an obstacle to the obstinate. ;) I try to do the most intensive stuff when the wife is not around, she worries. :rolleyes:
I feel ya. I’ve done some questionable boring in my day too, but the older I get, the harder it is to lift my arms! 🤣

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
It all depends on what your main use of your network is.

Wifi solution many times have more bandwidth than powerline. The key problem is wifi is one of the few network systems that does actually data retransmisson rather than leave it to the application. Because of interference causing data damage you can get very inconsistent latency.

Pretty much only online games are affected a lot by this and that seems to be the main use case for people who post on these forums.

Games since they use almost no bandwidth prefer the slower but much more stable connection provided by powerline. Almost every other app uses buffers to hide the latency variations.

If you have coax cable MoCA is a much better choice. It can get full gigabit speeds and has none of the latency spike problems.
Bill, always appreciate your input. You’re right, MOCA is a great alternative. I would advise new home prospects to always include ethernet in their plans. Unfortunately in this situation, it was overlooked. 😞