Powerline Bad Connection

Jun 29, 2018
Okay, so my room that I have my computer in was an extension to the house that I live in.

Which means that it's on some sort of second power circuit.

I am only getting a connection of around 50-80Mbps to a powerline which is on the original power circuit. Where as I'm getting maximum speed to one in the same circuit, I wouldn't of thought there would be this much of an impact from going to a different circuit

Does anybody know if there's a fix for this to maybe make the connection better? Or if there's an alternative connection to my router I could use.

kN6nvYc.png

thanks in advance

Solution
No problem we're pretty much around all the time.

That is actually an acceptable value for an AV2-1000 between sub-junctions, which run in the range up to 200-250Mbps on close circuits.

Very much like wireless, the speeds of PL are exaggerated. The important thing for gaming and the like is that the latency is much lower than wireless.

If you do find a particular outlet that works well (like you did) then use it. As far as stuff with motors like floor fans -- if they seem to slow the speed then put them on a 4 foot extension cable, which damps out their noise.

RealBeast

Titan
What model PL adapters?

They usually don't do well when adapters are on two different breaker boxes, even if one is a sub-junction of the first.

Agreed, wireless is a non-starter especially for gaming due to the increased latency.

Can you attach the one on your end to an outlet on the main circuit and run an Ethernet cable from it to your area?

Jun 29, 2018

I have two PL411's and a Single WPA4220 which is my brothers that I allowed to connect to my PL's

Running an Ethernet would mean it being across my landing, which isn't particullarly ideal because it's a bit hard to conceal and look flush

Jun 29, 2018

So after some research, and a helpful video that showcases the difference between AV5000 and AV2000 across differeng ring mains, I've decided to purchase this: PowerLine Kit

Do you think this might make a difference? I will test and see, if not I will probably return the item.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, that is a far superior set compared to what you are currently using. The new AV2 models like that one have MIMO and use all three power wires (so including the ground) to get much better speed and reliability.

Jun 29, 2018

Okay so I have received my new AV2 powerline adapters, thankfully on the utility it is showing a much better speed of around 120Mbps/160Mbps

3chTpF2

HOWEVER!!! When I run a speed test online, I'm only getting around 40Mbps

7436956166.png

Jun 29, 2018

I got Virgin Media Vivid 350 installed 2 days ago, so I should hope that it isn't the ISP, I ran a speed test directly from my router anyway though

7437069132.png

RealBeast

Titan
Nor sure that the "utility" is measuring but it looks like going to the sub-junction isn't affecting latency or upload but sure is hitting your download.

Check to insure that there are no large motors (floor fans and the like) or power bars on the circuit with the connections as they can cause interference and slow your speeds.

Jun 29, 2018

Okay even when removing any plugged in items or appliances next to or in my powerline adapters hasn't really helped

I have however moved my powerline adapter which is in my living room to a different socket, I'm now getting around 500/600Mbps connection between the two adapters, however still not getting my maximum router output on a online speedtest
7439841105.png

YYyEDHD.png

very sorry for the slow reply, I was at a festival

RealBeast

Titan
No problem we're pretty much around all the time.

That is actually an acceptable value for an AV2-1000 between sub-junctions, which run in the range up to 200-250Mbps on close circuits.

Very much like wireless, the speeds of PL are exaggerated. The important thing for gaming and the like is that the latency is much lower than wireless.

If you do find a particular outlet that works well (like you did) then use it. As far as stuff with motors like floor fans -- if they seem to slow the speed then put them on a 4 foot extension cable, which damps out their noise.

Solution
Jun 29, 2018

Thank you for the help :D