[SOLVED] PowerShell error, can't run sfc /scannow to resolve

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Hiya,
I'm trying to run an application, but it tells me it cannot access PowerShell, and thus cannot start. Indeed, PowerShell crashes immediately on startup. The internet suggests running sfc /scannow, chkdsk and dsim commands. dsim doesn't resolve the issue, chkdsk gets stuck at 100% and sfc /scannow cannot run due to 'corrupted files'.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Leo

Solution
Going back to your original post:

"I'm trying to run an application, but it tells me it cannot access PowerShell, and thus cannot start. Indeed, PowerShell crashes immediately on startup. "

That, along with the blue screen Powershell failure and the reference therein to some PublicKeyToken, makes me believe that there is some issue with Waves Central.

Very strange.

Unfortunately that does not explain why you are unable to image/reinstall Windows.

And as for your library of audio plugins - are they all backed up and saved?

[Question: What is necessary to install/reinstall the plug-ins? I would not expect that doing so would take several days. Some reactivation process?]

You might be able to save the plugins in some...

kanewolf

Titan
Hiya,
I'm trying to run an application, but it tells me it cannot access PowerShell, and thus cannot start. Indeed, PowerShell crashes immediately on startup. The internet suggests running sfc /scannow, chkdsk and dsim commands. dsim doesn't resolve the issue, chkdsk gets stuck at 100% and sfc /scannow cannot run due to 'corrupted files'.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Leo
IMO, assume you will have to reinstall windows or your disk is about to fail. Get your important DATA to a backup device. THEN try to coax the system back to functionality. You might have a disk going bad. Check the SMART status with Crystal Disk Info.

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
IMO, assume you will have to reinstall windows or your disk is about to fail. Get your important DATA to a backup device. THEN try to coax the system back to functionality. You might have a disk going bad. Check the SMART status with Crystal Disk Info.
Thanks, will back up immediately. Hopefully can resolve without having to clean install windows as I've had to do that plenty of times in the past and safe to say it's not my favourite task aha

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Says the drive health is normal. Doesn't appear to be an option to perform a particularly comprehensive check. Is there some way to get PowerShell working again regardless? Tried reinstalling it but doesn't appear to be the right thing aha

Colif

Win 11 Master
only answers i find are run SFC which you have done.

try a clean boot and try to launch the program again, this just tell us if something else is interfering

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Ralston18

Titan
And I will ask about the Powershell crashes :

Any related errors in Reliability History or Event Viewer?

What application is trying to access Powershell? What does the application do? Does that application have or need Powershell admin rights?

Could be that the app is not able to gracefully handle some error with respect to some Powershell problems/issues.

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
And I will ask about the Powershell crashes :

Any related errors in Reliability History or Event Viewer?

What application is trying to access Powershell? What does the application do? Does that application have or need Powershell admin rights?

Could be that the app is not able to gracefully handle some error with respect to some Powershell problems/issues.
Hi there,
Reliability history shows plenty of errors, which seem to just be these two repeating:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xnnNCPMNi7vwKvV8aM337dYFdST3fMOq?usp=sharing

Event Viewer shows a bunch of unsuccessful shutdowns but not sure if they're related

The application in question is Waves Central. Image of the error message included in linked folder above. Inclined to believe it's not the application's fault, as, when trying to run PowerShell, it flashes momentarily with text and immediately crashes... also the issues with sfc (which points to unspecified corrupted files) make me suspect it's Windows' fault .

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hey, you need to read through this thread for more info
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-startup/a532d1c6-1ac8-4efd-8347-b58e578c6a4d

run BOTH SFC and DISM commands. If that doesn't fix it, you may need to reinstall windows. if you have viruses, format and reinstall windows.

speaking of reading threads...

The internet suggests running sfc /scannow, chkdsk and dsim commands. dsim doesn't resolve the issue, chkdsk gets stuck at 100% and sfc /scannow cannot run due to 'corrupted files'.

though it is fair to say there is no indication he did one after other. :)

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
An app cannot run Powershell.

However, are you able to open and run Powershell as Admin?

At the PS> prompt type Get-Host (no quotes) and post the results.
Unfortunately PowerShell crashes immediately on startup. This is what I meant by 'cannot run PowerShell' but can see the ambiguity, my bad. In short, there are two issues - Waves Central (third party app) cannot access PowerShell, and I cannot run PowerShell.

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
could be

try running a scan with windows defender, if it doesn't find anything try running Bitdefender free and see if it sees anything - https://www.bitdefender.com.au/solutions/free.html
Ran the Windows Defender short scan and detected nothing (which I find a little strange considering it was Windows itself that stopped the backup due to a detected virus). Will run the long scan as soon as I can. Will try third party antivirus and let you know results. Annoying that the backup tool didn't provide any indication as to where/what the supposed virus may be (assuming it exists)

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
An app cannot run Powershell.

However, are you able to open and run Powershell as Admin?

At the PS> prompt type Get-Host (no quotes) and post the results.
Installed 'PowerShell 7' off the internet (somehow different from the in-built one that's causing problems) and got this:

Name : ConsoleHost
Version : 7.1.2
InstanceId : 4b35b92d-2016-4f00-b56c-0521238706a3
UI : System.Management.Automation.Internal.Host.InternalHostUserInterface
CurrentCulture : en-US
CurrentUICulture : en-US
PrivateData : Microsoft.PowerShell.ConsoleHost+ConsoleColorProxy
DebuggerEnabled : True
IsRunspacePushed : False
Runspace : System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalRunspace