[SOLVED] PowerSpec G436 - Memory Upgrade Fail

Jan 15, 2021
https://www.microcenter.com/product/630917/powerspec-g436-gaming-computer

I recently purchased this power spec PC because the video cards were hard to come by and it already had one in it. I have upgraded the memory in it from Forza 3200MHZ CL16 32GB to this 3600MHZ GSKILL CL14 64GB Ram.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374091?Item=N82E16820374091

I enabled the XMP Profile in the BIOS and the machine was running fine for 2 days of gaming pretty heavy and then in the middle of a game last night my system crashed and when it booted back up I got a message that said Memory Overclock Fail. I disabled the XMP profile and now the ram is running at its stock speed 2666mhz and the PC Boots up fine. When I get home today after work I will probably try to manually input the Memory timings/frequency/voltage in the BIOS instead of using XMP Profile. I'm trying to figure out if I need a different motherboard that can handle this ram or if you might have any suggestions on what I could do to fix this? I haven't seen anywhere where you can update the BIOS on MSI's Site, I dont think this is a board you can buy over the shelf and something power spec probably bought in Bulk straight from MSI. Thanks for your help.

Solution
I was a bit surprised to see that F4-3600C14Q-64GVK is primarily recommended for X570 boards and only 3 ASUS Z490 models. I would contact G,Skill or your retailer and have them swap it for a comparable compatible set. Your other choice would be to get one of the three Z490 ASUS boards listed.
Jan 15, 2021
I was a bit surprised to see that F4-3600C14Q-64GVK is primarily recommended for X570 boards and only 3 ASUS Z490 models. I would contact G,Skill or your retailer and have them swap it for a comparable compatible set. Your other choice would be to get one of the three Z490 ASUS boards listed.
Thank you for your response and suggestion, yes I was thinking I would possibly need to upgrade my motherboard or just run the ram at a lower frequency for now until I get another board. I don't mind changing to a new board anyhow, I was just going to wait to do that until the 11th gen Intels came out.

Reactions: RealBeast
Jan 15, 2021

I was able to downlock the memory to 3500MHZ and it runs stable, it will not allow me to run 3600MHZ. Thanks again for your help, I plan on upgrading to the Z590 if I can get my hands on one in March. Hopefully I wont have any trouble with a higher end motherboard.

Reactions: RealBeast