[SOLVED] Prebuilt Gaming PC (Craigslist)

May 30, 2020
Price: $230

Specs:
i5-3470
8BG DDR3 ram
EVGA GTX 1050 ti
HP 300W PSU
120GB Intel SSD
500GB Western Digital HDD

I’m interested in a entry level gaming pc on Craigslist for $230.
Obviously you get what you pay for so I’m not expecting it to be a powerhouse but I want it get into pc gaming so I think it’s a good start.
I just want to make sure what I’m buying is even worth it?
What should I ask to get a better idea of the value?

SpHP 300W PSU
120GB Intel SSD
500GB Western Digital HDD

Solution
By the psu it's clearly a prebuilt hp system.
Hence why it has a 1050ti in there because its pretty much incapable of being upgraded anymore than it is.

Its an old system, the price isn't too bad considering if its a foothold into pc gaming.

Its non upgradeable though so be aware of that, it'll play modern titles just about but at greatly reduced settings at 720p resolution.

Beat him down to $200 if you can and make sure to test it/see it working before you part with any money.
No bottlenecks in the CPU/GPU department, maybe a GPU bottleneck but that's desireable.

Horrible PSU. The wattage should be atleast 350W, under heavy loads it will probably cause problems and depending on how old it is, it could straight up fail at one point. Failing PSU can damage everything and kill your system in some cases. If you're gonna buy this look to replace the PSU. You wont be able to upgrade your PC without buying a better PSU and it's not good enough even for those specs.

Make sure RAM is in Dual channel: 2x4GB not 1x8GB.

The value is not bad but if it has been used for more than 2 years I wouldnt buy it.

By the psu it's clearly a prebuilt hp system.
Hence why it has a 1050ti in there because its pretty much incapable of being upgraded anymore than it is.

Its an old system, the price isn't too bad considering if its a foothold into pc gaming.

Its non upgradeable though so be aware of that, it'll play modern titles just about but at greatly reduced settings at 720p resolution.

Beat him down to $200 if you can and make sure to test it/see it working before you part with any money.

Solution