Question Precision 3590 Workstation - RAM upgrade to 96 GB (for CPU 165H)?

Lutfij

Titan
The manual linked above by my colleague states that the max memory supported by the laptop is 64GB, so you're beyond spec with 96GB, to add you're only going to introduce instability by going beyond 64GB. I also don't see a laptop with that much amount of ram to be feasible, IMHO. A laptop would be best for mobility but if you're trying to drop in as much money and hardware into said laptop you should look into an mitx build.

Jul 27, 2024
Thank you @rgd1101 and @Lutfij although I don't fully understand what's the technical reason that laptop with Intel Core Ultra 7 Processor 165H can't handle 96 GB of RAM. It's because of the laptop hardware design?

I am writing a special programs in C++/asm64 in Visual Studio where I need to process a lot of data (e.g. 4 GB text file with 50 million of GPS coordinates). I simply allocate 5 GB of RAM, read the whole file by 2.5 GB chunks into RAM and then process the data there.

This way I was able to process the NOAA buoy data and find the 4-5S 80-81E position that most of the Flight MH370 debris had to pass through to get to where it was found.

The program performed about 3 billion searches on the sorted data, and including plotting the tracks of the NOAA buoys on the world map, it took 3 seconds.