[SOLVED] PC won't POST with Intel Arc A770, but it POSTs with other GPUs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onsali

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2015
Hi,

My Dell Precision T7820 Workstation with Dual Xeon 6140 CPUs works just fine with my 1050 Ti GPU.

I initially wanted to use an Intel Arc A770 GPU in it for my video work but PC will not POST at all.
Right now the system POSTs fine but it does take literally a minute (curious as to why, research says its taking time to cycle through all the ram; but that's a problem for later)

The firmware is up to date (latest). It is running Windows 11 UEFI with Firmware/Chipset updates installed. I did reset CMOS and try reseating card, alternating cables and such already. If anyone has a lead at all it would be much appreciated.

When the Intel Arc A770 is installed, PC lights up and fans spin but no display or POST. I waited 10 minutes before shutting it off.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Onsali

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2015
The power draw on the cards are not the same;
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1050-ti.c2885

How old is the prebuilt and does it come with the 950W PSU in it? BIOS version on the prebuilt?
That is what I was thinking as well. It seemed like it wasnt getting enough power. Yes, it did come with the 950W PSU. I believe it was a late 2021, refurbished. I honestly need to try switching the powercable too. Bios version is (2.39.0) which is 1 down from the latest actually now that I check it (2.40.0)

Onsali

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2015
BIOS update is worth a shot.

If you have capability to force PCIe revision, try setting it to 3.0 instead of Auto and see if that helps. Being a newer card that supports PCIe 4.0 it may be failing to negotiate the right speed.
That is a good point to try out. Will try out both and let you know how that goes. Thanks!

Onsali

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2015
BIOS update is worth a shot.

If you have capability to force PCIe revision, try setting it to 3.0 instead of Auto and see if that helps. Being a newer card that supports PCIe 4.0 it may be failing to negotiate the right speed.
Updated the BIOS to the latest (2.40.0 which was just released 3 days ago actually), switched power cables, no shot. The BIOS setting for the PCIe link speed only lists Auto, Gen1, Gen 2 (attaching screenshot below).

Someone on Intel forum said to disable virtualization in BIOS so going to try that now. @Eximo @Lutfij

BEf110F.jpeg

Onsali

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2015
Update: That did the trick!! I disabled both the virtualization options in the BIOS, along with one other Legacy boot option and it booted in the same 40 seconds it takes the 1050ti, installing drivers now. Beyond ecstatic

Reactions: dcvikes
Status
Not open for further replies.