Predator vs Benq

jman4d2

Prominent
May 26, 2017
My 2 choices of monitor are the Acer Predator, and the Benq Zowie. Both are 1440p, 144hz. the Predator is more expensive but has g sync. i am using my computer for competitive Overwatch and CS:GO. I have a gtx 1070 GPU. is the g sync necessary for these games on my monitor. what games might need g sync. Basically which is better, and is the g sync worth it.

Benq link: https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-2560x1440-Tournaments-Professional-XL2730/dp/B01H5KKVME

Acer link: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-2560x1440-Display/dp/B0173PEX20

Solution
G Sync and or Free Sync is not a requirement for next level gaming at all. Yes, under certain situations it can provide a smoother display but only if the conditions are met and you even notice screen tearing to begin with.

If the price difference is drastic, I wouldn't concern your self with G sync.

Masoner

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
G Sync and or Free Sync is not a requirement for next level gaming at all. Yes, under certain situations it can provide a smoother display but only if the conditions are met and you even notice screen tearing to begin with.

If the price difference is drastic, I wouldn't concern your self with G sync.

Solution

jman4d2

Prominent
May 26, 2017

What about the color quality? Pretend neither of them have g sync and are the same price, which monitor is better now?

The Predator uses an IPS display which has better colours, true 8bit colour depth but is not quite as fast as the BenQ (which won't really make a difference unless you've got jedi reflexes& perception).
Colours are more accurate and contrasts are better due to the IPS technology
However quality issues like heavier backlight bleeding are kind of common.

The XL2730 uses a TN panel with a colour depth of only 6bit which is overdriven to simulate and give the same spectrum as an 8bit panel. But it is only 6bit so especially very light and very dark shades don't look as clean.
Due to it using TN-technology (as your current screen probably is as well) colours&contrasts will look a bit shallow compared to Predator. However if you're not doing video/photo work that's not a problem. And if you're playing mainly fast paced shooters or sports games it's not really so bad either since you don't have the time to look around so much anyway
Also the image quality is still quite good.
On the plus side the TN panel is super fast and responsive (1ms GTG) and rarely has any bugging quality issues.

If you can find one, I'd personally go for the Dell S2716DG
It comes with a TN panel like the BenQ but a better one with true 8bit colour depth, still only 1ms response time and G-Sync as a bonus for about the same price as the BenQ.
Imo the best non-IPS buy you can make in that category.

If you're willing to spend the money Acer charges, it's a great monitor

jman4d2

Prominent
May 26, 2017

Is the Acer Predator still worth the money with 4 ms response time? Are there any better ips 1440p 144hz monitors that have 1 ms?

there are no 1ms IPS screens as this is technologically impossible as of today
but the difference between 1ms and 4ms is so little you - as said - need jedi traits to really notice the difference^^

for OW & CSGO a TN might be better suited however as IPS screens really show their performance with movies, photo works, content creation and RPGs