Question Preferred firmware on recent MX500?

Nov 13, 2022
Hi... my first question on this forum

(I have also asked this question on Reddit here and will link to here from there too)
(I'd also acknowledge and reference related recent threads Crucial MX500 500GB sata ssd Remaining Life decreasing fast despite few bytes being written and Any Crucial MX500 Users Here Updated To Latest Firmware (M3CR045) ? which don't provide enough helpful info for my dilemma)

I just bought a 500GB MX500 since that model has had decent reviews and the discussions I had seen so far indicated that the older firmware had bugs but apparently the recent models are better.

I see that my drive (still in unopened box) has M3CR043 installed. For some reason I checked again whether I needed to upgrade that one and I found a warning about M3CR045:

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/s_berthelot/status/1560713492126224384

So...

Do I stick with the current firmware? Upgrade it anyway (if the software will work) and listen/not listen to the advice above? Return the drive and get something else? (A different brand? People seem to be warning against Samsung Evo 870 which otherwise might be a favourite. And choice is a bit limited in my country.)

I hope that there will be somewhat of a consensus about this!

Thanks

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
hey, i'm the guy that started the thread about new firmware..............i don't plan to update the firmware since the SSD is working fine..........i have the 500GB MX500 too and no new firmware for that and no issues with the SSD too.............

Nov 13, 2022
hey, i'm the guy that started the thread about new firmware..............i don't plan to update the firmware since the SSD is working fine..........i have the 500GB MX500 too and no new firmware for that and no issues with the SSD too.............
Thanks
It seems you haven't experienced any errors, but does "no issues" include also normal levels of change in the indicators discussed in the other thread I referenced? Or have you not been checking for that?
I'd like to be more confident that the 43 firmware doesn't suffer from the bug that the 45 firmware supposedly does. I don't really want to set up a Twitter account just to ask Stéphane Berthelot whether he tested 43 as well, but perhaps that would be appropriate.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022
@fzabkar That is a good point, and it would be great if someone would invite him to give details. (I'm not going to sign up for Twitter at the moment just for that. Maybe I will eventually.)
In the meantime the easy default for me is to stick with the installed firmware. In which case I'd like to hear if anyone knows of issues with 43...

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
Thanks
It seems you haven't experienced any errors, but does "no issues" include also normal levels of change in the indicators discussed in the other thread I referenced? Or have you not been checking for that?
I'd like to be more confident that the 43 firmware doesn't suffer from the bug that the 45 firmware supposedly does. I don't really want to set up a Twitter account just to ask Stéphane Berthelot whether he tested 43 as well, but perhaps that would be appropriate.

no errors or bad sectors ..............also no excessive writes............my 250GB MX500 been in use for 13+ months now........but for my 500GB MX500 - there's no new firmware update since 2019