[SOLVED] Preliminary PC Build specs and parts, opinion desired

kesomon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2013
Nature of request: While I can build a PC with instructions, selecting the components is difficult due to so many options. Here I've picked what I think will cover my needs, the most intensive game of which is probably playing The Isle. I have no idea if this is overkill, so I request more knowledgeable eyes to guide and let me know if I need to dial it back in any areas, to improve in others, or if the parts I've picked aren't even compatible.

ETA of purchase: soon but not solidified
Budget: ideally as low as I can go without sacrificing quality, but no higher than $2500
Primary system usage: casual Gaming, mmos, internet and streaming, primary home computer
Overclocking: not likely, don't even know how.
Why am I upgrading: My current PC was built in 2013 and it's lasted me this long, but it won't run the games (The Isle, Sims 4, SWTOR, Cities Skylines) that I want to play and also lags badly between boot-up and smooth operation, so due to age I am upgrading everything.

Preliminary parts selected:
CPU
Intel Core i7-10700KF Comet Lake 8-Core 3.8 GHz LGA 1200 125W BX8070110700KF Desktop Processor​
CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Air Cooler, Silencio FP120 Fan, 4 CDC 2.0 Heatpipes, Anodized Gun-Metal Black, Brushed Nickel Fins for AMD Ryzen/Intel LGA1200/1151​
Motherboard
MSI Z590-A PRO LGA 1200 Intel Z590 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard​
RAM Cards
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GVK​
GPU Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti FTW2 GAMING 08G-P4-6775-KR, 8GB GDDR5 iCX - 9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED G/P/M​
Storage - SSD + HDD
WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX - OEM​
Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 64-layer 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS500G3X0C​
Power Supply Unit
CORSAIR TX-M Series TX550M CP-9020133-NA 550W ATX12V v2.4 / EPS v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Semi-Modular Power Supply​
Case
Fractal Design Define 7 Gray Brushed Aluminum / Steel E-ATX Silent Modular Mid Tower Computer Case​

According to NewEgg's PC Builder, these parts should be compatible with each other, but I want to be sure of that before I buy and find out otherwise. I've gone with Corsair power because my last unit has never failed me, and with western digital for storage for the same reasons. My current motherboard is also MSI, model unknown.
If I need to include any other info to help get guidance, let me know. Thank you in advance!

view full parts list on Newegg here: https://newegg.io/e8755d2

Solution
Unlocked Intel cpu's are a thing of the past. Heat producing power hogs that get you maybe 3 - 5 more FPS if you're lucky. This board + cpu cooler allows you to run that cpu with the power limits turned off in the bios. It's a round a bout way of OC those locked cpu's as it keeps them in turbo boost mode longer.

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-650f14hg-650w/p/1HU-024C-00007
Super Flower Leadex III 650W 80+ Gold, 10 Year Warranty Modular Power Supply $84.99

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144396
MSI MAG B560M BAZOOKA $139.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303957454122
Intel Core i7-11700F $309.99

Scythe Fuma 2 CPU...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Few changes.
(Note: i don't have the egg account and can't share the parts list, hence the screen.)

l73NYIz.png

Few words.

CPU: i7-10700KF -> i7-10700K
The F suffix means that the CPU doesn't have iGPU (on-board graphics) and if something should happen with your dedicated GPU, you can't use your PC (just like AMD CPUs are, except APUs). That's why the F versions are always inferior, and i, personally, don't like AMD CPUs.
With iGPU in CPU, and if your dedicated GPU should die, you can connect your monitor to your MoBo and use the PC just fine. You can web browse without issues and even do some light gaming. Though, for proper gaming, dedicated GPU is still needed. So, switch the CPU to non-F version whenever possible.

MoBo: Stepped it up a bit and put a MSI MoBo in that has built-in wi-fi. If you don't care about that feature, feel free to switch the MoBo back and save few bucks.

RAM: Changed it to Corsair with same specs as G.Skill RAM had it, with a difference: Corsair RAM is lower-profile and it comes into a play with the CPU cooler i picked. G.Skill RAM may not fit under there.

GPU: GTX 1070 Ti -> RX 6700 XT
Since there is a GPU shortage in the world, it's bad idea to buy GPU at current date. Prices are often double, if not triple of MSRP. Still, i get that you still need a GPU. So, to make things more bareable, i switched it to a cheaper GPU with increased power. Win-win, as they say. Downside is much higher power consumption but that i took care of with PSU selection.
Oh, GTX 1070 TI vs RX 6700 XT comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-6700-XT/3943vs4109

Case: The same one you picked since PC case is a personal choice.

PSU: Corsair TX-550m -> Corsair RM-750x
Since you prefer Corsair PSUs, i respected your choice and also put a Corsair PSU in (else-ways, i would've gone with Seasonic). Since GPU got changed and it is 230W GPU, i had to step up the PSU wattage. 750W unit is what i'd be comfortable using. Oh, increase wasn't only with wattage but i went ahead and put a better build quality PSU in there as well. It has fully-modular cables and 10 years of warranty (TX550m has semi-modular cables and 7 years of warranty). RM-750x is also powerful enough for CPU/GPU OC, if you ever get to that far. 😎

Storage: Didn't change the SSD and HDD. Both are good choices. And while i personally prefer Samsung SSDs, the diff between your picked WD Black and my Samsung 980 is negligible. So, might as well keep WD Black in there.

CPU cooler: Hyper 212 Black -> Dark Rock Pro 4
Stepped up the CPU cooler, and a lot. Hyper 212 and it's variants are poor CPU coolers and only good thing about them is cheap price. But when it comes to the CPU cooling, i thought the idea is to provide sufficient cooling to your CPU, rather than being penny pincher, or am i wrong? :heink:
Dark Rock Pro 4 is one of the "big boys" and it will keep your CPU well cooled. It is even powerful enough for CPU OC, if you, at some day, try your hand on it.

Performance comparison:
Your initial build as a baseline, my suggestion as an alternative:

Userbenchmark PC Build Comparison

Baseline Bench: Game 98%, Desk 102%, Work 99%
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700KF
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti
SSD: WD Black SN750 NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB (2019)
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB

Alternative Bench: Game 119%, Desk 101%, Work 120%
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K
GPU: AMD RX 6700-XT
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB

(Note: comparison has same RAM as in both of our builds but in 16GB, not 32GB in size, since UserBenchmark doesn't have neither of the RAM as 32GB set.)

So, with less money, you'll get better performance and better parts as well (e.g CPU cooler, PSU, MoBo). Not too shabby. 😆

Unlocked Intel cpu's are a thing of the past. Heat producing power hogs that get you maybe 3 - 5 more FPS if you're lucky. This board + cpu cooler allows you to run that cpu with the power limits turned off in the bios. It's a round a bout way of OC those locked cpu's as it keeps them in turbo boost mode longer.

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-650f14hg-650w/p/1HU-024C-00007
Super Flower Leadex III 650W 80+ Gold, 10 Year Warranty Modular Power Supply $84.99

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144396
MSI MAG B560M BAZOOKA $139.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303957454122
Intel Core i7-11700F $309.99

Scythe Fuma 2 CPU Air Cooler $59.99

PNY CS2130 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4 Internal SSD $109.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274857500695
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card $1,179.88

Total: $1885

A better look at that board.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B560M-BAZOOKA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTGvJHjjzDM

Last edited:
Solution
Few changes.
(Note: i don't have the egg account and can't share the parts list, hence the screen.)

l73NYIz.png

Few words.

CPU: i7-10700KF -> i7-10700K
The F suffix means that the CPU doesn't have iGPU (on-board graphics) and if something should happen with your dedicated GPU, you can't use your PC (just like AMD CPUs are, except APUs). That's why the F versions are always inferior, and i, personally, don't like AMD CPUs.
With iGPU in CPU, and if your dedicated GPU should die, you can connect your monitor to your MoBo and use the PC just fine. You can web browse without issues and even do some light gaming. Though, for proper gaming, dedicated GPU is still needed. So, switch the CPU to non-F version whenever possible.

MoBo: Stepped it up a bit and put a MSI MoBo in that has built-in wi-fi. If you don't care about that feature, feel free to switch the MoBo back and save few bucks.

RAM: Changed it to Corsair with same specs as G.Skill RAM had it, with a difference: Corsair RAM is lower-profile and it comes into a play with the CPU cooler i picked. G.Skill RAM may not fit under there.

GPU: GTX 1070 Ti -> RX 6700 XT
Since there is a GPU shortage in the world, it's bad idea to buy GPU at current date. Prices are often double, if not triple of MSRP. Still, i get that you still need a GPU. So, to make things more bareable, i switched it to a cheaper GPU with increased power. Win-win, as they say. Downside is much higher power consumption but that i took care of with PSU selection.
Oh, GTX 1070 TI vs RX 6700 XT comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-6700-XT/3943vs4109

Case: The same one you picked since PC case is a personal choice.

PSU: Corsair TX-550m -> Corsair RM-750x
Since you prefer Corsair PSUs, i respected your choice and also put a Corsair PSU in (else-ways, i would've gone with Seasonic). Since GPU got changed and it is 230W GPU, i had to step up the PSU wattage. 750W unit is what i'd be comfortable using. Oh, increase wasn't only with wattage but i went ahead and put a better build quality PSU in there as well. It has fully-modular cables and 10 years of warranty (TX550m has semi-modular cables and 7 years of warranty). RM-750x is also powerful enough for CPU/GPU OC, if you ever get to that far. 😎

Storage: Didn't change the SSD and HDD. Both are good choices. And while i personally prefer Samsung SSDs, the diff between your picked WD Black and my Samsung 980 is negligible. So, might as well keep WD Black in there.

CPU cooler: Hyper 212 Black -> Dark Rock Pro 4
Stepped up the CPU cooler, and a lot. Hyper 212 and it's variants are poor CPU coolers and only good thing about them is cheap price. But when it comes to the CPU cooling, i thought the idea is to provide sufficient cooling to your CPU, rather than being penny pincher, or am i wrong? :heink:
Dark Rock Pro 4 is one of the "big boys" and it will keep your CPU well cooled. It is even powerful enough for CPU OC, if you, at some day, try your hand on it.

Performance comparison:
Your initial build as a baseline, my suggestion as an alternative:

Userbenchmark PC Build Comparison

Baseline Bench: Game 98%, Desk 102%, Work 99%
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700KF
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB

Alternative Bench: Game 119%, Desk 101%, Work 120%
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K
GPU: AMD RX 6700-XT
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB

(Note: comparison has same RAM as in both of our builds but in 16GB, not 32GB in size, since UserBenchmark doesn't have neither of the RAM as 32GB set.)

So, with less money, you'll get better performance and better parts as well (e.g CPU cooler, PSU, MoBo). Not too shabby. 😆
That 212 cpu cooler won't handle that cpu imo when it's in turbo boost mode.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Total: $1575

1. Where is RAM, PC case and 2nd storage drive?
  2. I added all the prices you listed together and it came to $1884.83. So, how your total can be 1500 bucks only?
This board + cpu cooler allows you to run that cpu

You forgot to mention that you included F-suffix CPU, which doesn't have iGPU. Sure, it performs the same as i7-10700K but due to the reduced power draw (65W vs 125W), it's clocks are also lower, 2.5 Ghz vs 3.8 Ghz and it doesn't boost that high either, 4.9 Ghz vs 5.1 Ghz.

Just to save 10 bucks, i, personally, would not pick i7-11700F, since if dedicated GPU craps out, you can't use the PC at all.

And while you don't see any value in CPU OC, that doesn't mean everyone else have to share your view. Ability to OC CPU gives more flexibility, if not now, then for future use. While OP has stated that CPU OC isn't on the table right now, who knows, maybe OP decides to give it a go in the future. So, it would be nice if the option is already there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274857500695
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card $1,179.88

Why would you suggest OP to buy the GPU from a scalper??? You do realize that there is NO WARRANTY with that GPU, right? And if the GPU happens to die, OP is left high and dry.

Out of curiosity, did you plan on buying a 1070 Ti?

The egg PC conf has very limited options for GPUs. And if i would need to guess, i guess OP prefers to buy the whole PC from the egg. This way, system is assembled for OP as well.

1. Where is RAM, PC case and 2nd storage drive?
  2. I added all the prices you listed together and it came to $1884.83. So, how your total can be 1500 bucks only?
You forgot to mention that you included F-suffix CPU, which doesn't have iGPU. Sure, it performs the same as i7-10700K but due to the reduced power draw (65W vs 125W), it's clocks are also lower, 2.5 Ghz vs 3.8 Ghz and it doesn't boost that high either, 4.9 Ghz vs 5.1 Ghz.

Just to save 10 bucks, i, personally, would not pick i7-11700F, since if dedicated GPU craps out, you can't use the PC at all.

And while you don't see any value in CPU OC, that doesn't mean everyone else have to share your view. Ability to OC CPU gives more flexibility, if not now, then for future use. While OP has stated that CPU OC isn't on the table right now, who knows, maybe OP decides to give it a go in the future. So, it would be nice if the option is already there.

Why would you suggest OP to buy the GPU from a scalper??? You do realize that there is NO WARRANTY with that GPU, right? And if the GPU happens to die, OP is left high and dry.

The egg PC conf has very limited options for GPUs. And if i would need to guess, i guess OP prefers to buy the whole PC from the egg. This way, system is assembled for OP as well.
Good catch on the math and fixed in my previous post. The OP's case, storage drive and RAM will work fine with that build I posted so I didn't see the need to repost it. As far as the gpu off of ebay ... good luck finding a similar priced gpu from anywhere else. Until cards become more available then ebay is where it's at atm .

Now if the OP is concerned about his gpu taking a dump then this cpu down below will suffice just fine as far as onboard graphics go. Again I see no reason for an unlocked cpu unless the OP wants to deal with a heat producing power hog and that is just what the 11700K/KF is. Feel free to google the reviews not to mention the OP's choice of case is more or less a hot box ... restrictive airflow.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-...ked-desktop-processor/6452219.p?skuId=6452219
Intel Core i7-11700 $339.99

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
As far as the gpu off of ebay ... good luck finding a similar priced gpu from anywhere else. Until cards become more available then ebay is where it's at atm .

Scalpers aren't the only GPU sellers. And while the RTX 3070 is about 20% better than RX 6700 XT, while both cost the same, i, personally, will never buy a GPU from 3rd party seller, without any warranty what-so-ever. I'd rather buy a bit slower GPU from reputable source with full warranty.

When it comes to warranty, to me, if a piece of hardware doesn't come with a warranty, the price is cut in half. I don't care if the hardware is used or in a sealed package, no warranty = 50% off from brand new price.

If money is the only factor, where PC must be as cheap as possible, OP could buy all components as used (except PSU) from 2nd hand market. But i doubt OP would like to do that.

Edit: Some Google-Fu and found RTX 3070 TI for 1300 bucks, sold by Zotac via Amazon, with full warranty,
link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096TZHXYN
I guess i'm lucky. 😎 And no bread for scalpers.

not to mention the OP's choice of case is more or less a hot box ... restrictive airflow.

While Define 7 has restrictive airflow, it's front panel is a door, that you can easily open during heavy workload, thus considerably improving the PC's cooling. It's something that you can't do with other solid front panel cases (e.g NZXT lineup). And while Define 7 isn't superb when it comes to cooling, it gives another benefit - noise (the lack of it). Define 7 has noise dampening material in it's panels and for people who like their PC to be quiet(er), Define 7 is nice choice. And since PC case selection is personal choice, i'm not going to challenge OP's selection. OP has to look at the PC case on daily basis, not me.

Define 7 review (for OP): https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3558-fractal-define-7-case-review

Last edited: