premiere pro 7.0 - audio problems

I have the following setup:
Windows XP Pro SP1 upgraded from W2KP
1000 mhz Intel PIII
512 mb Ram - 2/4 slots PC133 168 pin
Matrox Millennium G450
Abit VP6
Award BIOS (1/17/2001)
40 gb Primary HD-120 gb Raid Secondary HD
USB 1.1 - 2 ports
USB 2.0 - 4 ports
Firewire 1394 - 2 ports
Pinnacle DC1000 E4 Ver. 3.2 driver (Firewire port)
Adobe Premiere 6.02
Adobe Premiere Pro V 7.0

I captured video from a Sony digital camera, using the Sony video
capture tool, via the usb 2.0 port. The video capture tool was set to
capture the audio at 32,000 hz - 16 bits stereo. The resulting clip is
a .avi file.

If I replay the video/audio in something like Windows Media Player 10
the video and audio play just fine.

However, if I import the clip into PremPro 7.0 and wait for the audio to
be conformed, the audio is only good for about half the clip. At times
as the clip plays after being placed on the timeline, the audio stops
while the video continues playing. If I stop the clip and then start it
again the audio will start again but then stop. This can be repeated but
the audio never runs properly. In addition, at the halfway mark the
video freezes and a heavy buzz begins and lasts until the end of the
clip. The waveform appears in the audio portion of the timeline until
the point where the heavy buzz begins and then there is no visible
waveform. At the point when the buzz begins there is a loud pop and the
buzz begins.

The only thing I can think of is to delete the clips and recapture the
video. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this happened or if there
is another way to fix the audio? If the video and audio run fine in
Windows Media Player there must be some problem in PremPro and it seems
that it would be best to understand what is happening in order to avoid
the problem. Any ideas?

Yeah used to have this problem to. I edit with some weird popping
sounds but it would export fine. The only thing that i think that can
fix it is buying new motherboard and/or soundcard. I wend from a KD7 to
an Nforce and the problem went away. I also have a pricy SoundBlaster.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:40:38 -0500, Herman Mann <hmann@aol.com> wrote:
>Adobe Premiere Pro V 7.0

As far as I know, that was an "interim" designation, used for only
a very limited time, and was also only for some vendor pre-installs

The actual progression was Pro 1.0 and then upgrade to Pro 1.5 for
the commercial version sold directly by Adobe

There is also a specialty form you might read for more information
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de9c1bf

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

cpu newb wrote:
> Yeah used to have this problem to. I edit with some weird popping
> sounds but it would export fine. The only thing that i think that can
> fix it is buying new motherboard and/or soundcard. I wend from a KD7 to
> an Nforce and the problem went away. I also have a pricy SoundBlaster.

After my initial posting I decided to take a look at the conformed
audio's waveform with Adobe Audition. I'm only a novice user of
Audition, but I noticed that at the point where the pop occurs and the
buzzing begins the waveform changes to a solid bar when zoomed out, and
upon zooming in it is symmetrical in a format consistent with what seems
to me would be the wave form of a steady buzz. The waveform looks
normal in the part of the audio just preceding the pop. I also don't
know if the pop is coincidental or related to the problem. All I can
say at this point is that it is where it is in the waveform.

Combine this with the fact that the .avi file plays in QuickTime or
Windows Media Player with normal audio and it points to a problem after
importing the .avi into PremPro. I don't understand PremPro well enough
to know whether importing results in a change to the audio portion of
the .avi file or whether it is the conforming that is the only thing
that changes the audio.

All of that makes me wonder why changing the motherboard or the sound
card would affect the way PremPro imports and/or conforms the audio?

Additonally, I have edited with pops in the audio and they remained
after exporting. I had some success using Audition to zoom in on the
pops and 'snip' them out, but that seems to be a work-around and
ultimately I hope for a better solution.

It is likely that buying a new motherboard will make the problem go away.
But it is not that likely that the motherboard was the cause of this
specific problem.

"Herman Mann" <hmann@aol.com> wrote in message
> cpu newb wrote:
>> Yeah used to have this problem to. I edit with some weird popping
>> sounds but it would export fine. The only thing that i think that can
>> fix it is buying new motherboard and/or soundcard. I wend from a KD7 to
>> an Nforce and the problem went away. I also have a pricy SoundBlaster.
>
> After my initial posting I decided to take a look at the conformed audio's
> waveform with Adobe Audition. I'm only a novice user of Audition, but I
> noticed that at the point where the pop occurs and the buzzing begins the
> waveform changes to a solid bar when zoomed out, and upon zooming in it is
> symmetrical in a format consistent with what seems to me would be the wave
> form of a steady buzz. The waveform looks normal in the part of the audio
> just preceding the pop. I also don't know if the pop is coincidental or
> related to the problem. All I can say at this point is that it is where
> it is in the waveform.
>
> Combine this with the fact that the .avi file plays in QuickTime or
> Windows Media Player with normal audio and it points to a problem after
> importing the .avi into PremPro. I don't understand PremPro well enough
> to know whether importing results in a change to the audio portion of the
> .avi file or whether it is the conforming that is the only thing that
> changes the audio.
>
> All of that makes me wonder why changing the motherboard or the sound card
> would affect the way PremPro imports and/or conforms the audio?
>
> Additonally, I have edited with pops in the audio and they remained after
> exporting. I had some success using Audition to zoom in on the pops and
> 'snip' them out, but that seems to be a work-around and ultimately I hope
> for a better solution.

Well try a completely different computer than urs and see if the
problem persists.

Are you beginning with a project that has the same audio settings as your
captured files? If Pro conforms from 32kHz to 48kHz there can be problems.
Unfortunately Pro and others allow the capture settings to be checked
independent of the project settings, which can cause problems.

Digital Video Solutions wrote:
> Are you beginning with a project that has the same audio settings as your
> captured files? If Pro conforms from 32kHz to 48kHz there can be problems.
> Unfortunately Pro and others allow the capture settings to be checked
> independent of the project settings, which can cause problems.

The audio was captured at 32Khz-16bit. The project with the audio
problems had been opened as a new project with 48khz-16 bit settings, so
I went back and opened a new project with 32khz-12/16 bit setting (there
are only 2 choices for DV-NTSC 4:3, one for 48khz-16 bit, and one for
32khz 12/16 bit). I had the identical audio problem.

I also used guidance from the Adobe web site to check the settings in
Edit-Preferences-Audio Hardware where I found my sound card listed under
Input/Output Device as Adobe Default Windows Sound. Under Output
Channel Mappings my card was listed but under ASIO Settings it was
listed as follows:

Direct Sound Output Ports
Sync Reference - there is no string table available

Direct Sound Input Ports
Sync Reference - there is no string table available

The Card Option for both is Full Duplex
PremPro shows I am using DirectX 5.3

My sound card is a Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI128 (Ensoniq ES5880.
I am not familiar with how PremPro imports a video clip. I'm not an
audio engineer but perhaps an explantion in laymen's terms would server
the purpose.

If the sound card is an integral part of the process, is there a list of
sound cards known to work properly with PremPro and XP Pro SP1 and/or XP
Pro SP2 (as I plan to eventually upgrade to SP2)?

Since DirectX is now up to version 9.0 could it be that having such an
old version of DirectX is part of or all of the problem?

Since PremPro is reporting no string table available, could that be all
or part of the problem?

> Digital Video Solutions wrote:
>> Are you beginning with a project that has the same audio settings as your
>> captured files? If Pro conforms from 32kHz to 48kHz there can be
>> problems. Unfortunately Pro and others allow the capture settings to be
>> checked independent of the project settings, which can cause problems.
>
> The audio was captured at 32Khz-16bit. The project with the audio
> problems had been opened as a new project with 48khz-16 bit settings, so I
> went back and opened a new project with 32khz-12/16 bit setting (there are
> only 2 choices for DV-NTSC 4:3, one for 48khz-16 bit, and one for 32khz
> 12/16 bit). I had the identical audio problem.

never work in 32Khz.