[SOLVED] Premium Rtx 3060 ti or Cheap rtx 3070?

poorbugger

Distinguished
Well my worst nightmare came true. Rtx 3060 ti is finally out and I have no idea which one to pick. I was waiting for the rtx 3060 ti but now the asus tuf rtx 3060 ti which has the best cooling design right now is sitting at 615 usd in my country and at the same time, the zotac rtx 3070 twin edge which has high temps and worse performance than the fe is also sitting at 615 usd. The cheapest rtx 3060 ti which is the zotac twin edge goes for 500usd. My ambient temps is quite high at around 30 to 34C so i need a card with good cooling but at this price, it's a hard decision.

Solution
Premium cards with 3000 series are showing very little performance difference from what I have seen especially if you overclock and change temperature targets. Yes they might run cooler but I have not seen any that have overheating issues and overclocking seems limited by the gpu itself and not temperatures (excluding extreme cooling on LN2 or similar). I’d only consider a lower tier 3060Ti or 3070, I see no point spending significantly more for a top tier 3060Ti. The benefits are tiny and it’s largely just marketing. Your case airflow could make just as much difference to temperatures as the different coolers make.
Well my worst nightmare came true. Rtx 3060 ti is finally out and I have no idea which one to pick. I was waiting for the rtx 3060 ti but now the asus tuf rtx 3060 ti which has the best cooling design right now is sitting at 615 usd in my country and at the same time, the zotac rtx 3070 twin edge which has high temps and worse performance than the fe is also sitting at 615 usd. The cheapest rtx 3060 ti which is the zotac twin edge goes for 500usd. My ambient temps is quite high at around 30 to 34C so i need a card with good cooling but at this price, it's a hard decision.
What about a $550 card with good cooler?

I manage to find two cards at that price range.
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 Ti EAGLE OC
MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X OC
Not sure about their performance yet since there's no reviews. Which one would you get? The cheap rtx 3070 or a premium rtx 3060 ti if you're in my shoes. I'm gaming at 1440p.
I'd personally not buy a premium 3060Ti i can agree your scenario where ambient temp is high (and it's same with me) but almost every RAW performance of the gpu would be same+/- and get the MSI Ventus which you have mentioned looks good and would also do a good cooling job imo.

Reactions: poorbugger
Premium cards with 3000 series are showing very little performance difference from what I have seen especially if you overclock and change temperature targets. Yes they might run cooler but I have not seen any that have overheating issues and overclocking seems limited by the gpu itself and not temperatures (excluding extreme cooling on LN2 or similar). I’d only consider a lower tier 3060Ti or 3070, I see no point spending significantly more for a top tier 3060Ti. The benefits are tiny and it’s largely just marketing. Your case airflow could make just as much difference to temperatures as the different coolers make.

Solution

poorbugger

Distinguished
I'd personally not buy a premium 3060Ti i can agree your scenario where ambient temp is high (and it's same with me) but almost every RAW performance of the gpu would be same+/- and get the MSI Ventus which you have mentioned looks good and would also do a good cooling job imo.
Thanks for the insights guys. I managed to find a seller selling a msi rtx 3060 ti gaming x trio for around 520usd. I think that's a fair price?

Joseph_138

Distinguished
The answer to that would depend more on your power supply, what it's wattage rating is ,and how old it is. If it can handle the requirements of the 3070, then that is what you should go for. If not, then the 3060 Ti is your card.

poorbugger

Distinguished
The answer to that would depend more on your power supply, what it's wattage rating is ,and how old it is. If it can handle the requirements of the 3070, then that is what you should go for. If not, then the 3060 Ti is your card.
I have a cx550m that's quite new. Only started using it in June 2020. I think it'll be enough for even a rtx 3070 but i dont think i want to invest so much into it since the 3060 ti would be enough for me.

I have a cx550m that's quite new. Only started using it in June 2020. I think it'll be enough for even a rtx 3070 but i dont think i want to invest so much into it since the 3060 ti would be enough for me.
Yea and only some games i have seen some 40fps difference (Doom Enternal 1440p ultra) so really don't think that overall 3070 is a great value where a similar 3060ti is avilable for$100 less.