Presario (new) slow boot ?

SL

Hey all,

I helped setup an SR1230nx model for a friend. The pc has probably 2 hours
on it. That is because the friend went out of town and just arrived back.
So they asked me to load a few pieces of software they needed Microsoft
office 2000 and some burning software for the DVD player. No prob, I build
my own systems and threw about 4-5 (divx and dvd) programs onto the machine.
It ran fine until I started up Cybermedia DVD player 2.0. Yes, its old,
but its reliable as a tank and its paid for. Plus, it runs on all the
systems Ive built or upgraded. It got a Kernal problem right off the bat
when I tried a DVD in the player. Same thing happened to my boss when he
bought a compaq last year. Funny I thought? Although my boss's Presario
6000 (amd 2000) had a problem reading CD's on his CDRW player. I replaced
that unit with a better burner and no prob.

Now, I feel like im in the same situation. But the DVD player does what it
should in this case. It played, and the rest of the pc did as it should.
But the thing takes literally about 2.5 minutes to boot verses its usual 30
seconds. It feels like a driver hanging the system on bootup. Ive run into
IRQ conflicts with things like NIC cards and sound cards fighting on turning
on/off. So that brings me here.

I eliminated some of the bloatware that slows the bootup. It helped a
little, but not all the way. The only thing I can think of hardware wise is
the owner hooked up a LiquidVideo 17in. LCD monitor to the pc at 800x600 by
16bit. I changed it to 32 bit and rebooted like ususal. Slow.......
bootup. But runs fine once booted?

They have (gulp) dialup to update on their MSN account. So updating
everything is gonna be like molassas going uphill in winter-time,
slow........

So, before I take more dire measures that will no doubt freak them out, what
should I look for first.

Added software:
NeoDivx
DVDshrink
Microsoft Office 2000
PowerDVD (now removed)

Thanks all...

SeanL

SL

I see nobody jumped on this one, eh?
I have looked a Compaq and got the generic slow boot tips. Unfortunatly, I
will make my friend nervous as hell if she is sitting there watching me
disable features at startup etc...

But, I wonder what Is absolutely necessary on startup for the compaq to run.
On my homebuilts, I only have two instances in msconfigs startup. But this
compaq model is jammed full of stuff. I could google each instance and
figure it out. but on her dialup, that is a long chore. Im just looking
for a quick answer if in fact one may exist for this model. I am going to
work on it again soon and have prepared a CDR of all the files at Compaqs
site in relation for her model. Thats just to assist with possible slow
downloads from her house.

Again....thanks in advance
SL

SL wrote:
> [...]
>> as it should. But the thing takes literally about 2.5 minutes to
>> boot verses its usual 30 seconds. It feels like a driver hanging
>> the system on bootup. Ive run into IRQ conflicts with things like
>> NIC cards and sound cards fighting on turning on/off. So that
>> brings me here. I eliminated some of the bloatware that slows the
>> bootup. It helped
>> a little, but not all the way. The only thing I can think of
>> hardware wise is the owner hooked up a LiquidVideo 17in. LCD monitor
>> to the pc at 800x600 by 16bit. I changed it to 32 bit and rebooted
>> like ususal. Slow....... bootup. But runs fine once booted?
>>
>> They have (gulp) dialup to update on their MSN account. So updating
>> everything is gonna be like molassas going uphill in winter-time,
>> slow........
>>
>> So, before I take more dire measures that will no doubt freak them

This site will help http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

Slow booting is often traced to networking that is not set up correctly,
also.

SL

Thanks Quaoar,

I suspect that as well. Although, the network is not being utilized in any
fashion. Its a standalone pc using a MSN dialup account. I do remember
prior to XP that sometimes a nic card could hold up things quite a bit. I
might try to disable it in the profile and bios. Do you think that will
offer any problems on this particular system? I have yet to try your link,
but will as soon as this is posted.

thanks,
sl

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:13:26 -0500, SL <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I see nobody jumped on this one, eh?
> I have looked a Compaq and got the generic slow boot tips. Unfortunatly, I
> will make my friend nervous as hell if she is sitting there watching me
> disable features at startup etc...
>
> But, I wonder what Is absolutely necessary on startup for the compaq to run.
> On my homebuilts, I only have two instances in msconfigs startup. But this
> compaq model is jammed full of stuff. I could google each instance and
> figure it out. but on her dialup, that is a long chore. Im just looking
> for a quick answer if in fact one may exist for this model. I am going to
> work on it again soon and have prepared a CDR of all the files at Compaqs
> site in relation for her model. Thats just to assist with possible slow
> downloads from her house.

I think that is the model a co-worker has (from RadioShack). She was
complaining about slow booting. It only had 256 MB shared RAM. When I
added an extra 512 MB stick I had, it loaded 309 MB during boot before any
other programs were started (not counting memory I reserved for video).
That is just the native HP/Compaq services and Earthlink dialup connection
software. I don't really know if it boots faster, but the added RAM at
least allows it to run without swapping so much memory to hard
drive. But I imagine with HP/Compaq software and MSN on 256 MB RAM shared
with video, it may have a hard time doing anything without swapping RAM to
disk (virtual memory).

By comparison, my HP a530n loads about 143 MB during boot, because I do
not use any ISP software and removed some of the HP installed software
(especially some that went haywire after SP2 upgrade). But it is also an
Athlon 64 with upgraded RAM (1g PC3200) and separate upgraded video card,
so speed is not an issue.

TRENDING THREADS