[SOLVED] Pretty high CPU temperature when encoding video. Is it OK?

ssal

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
I have a Ryzen 7 3800x with GTX 1060. I have noticed that the 7 3800x is running a bit hotter than the 7 2700x I had before. The following is a chart of the temperature when I encoded a video with Adobe Premiere Pro. It is peaking at low 80's °C. It is well below the 95°C stated in AMD's website.

Is this OK, normal?
Temperature chart during encoding

Solution
Do you have the fan that came with the 3800x installed? Or did you install a different fan?

If its the stock fan that came with the process, it is a very weak fan. 80 C is completely expected. If you ran something like Cinebench, you'd get something around 85 C or so. If you ran Ryzen Master's stress test, you'd see it get to 95 C and throttle.

It can handle 80 C just fine. But constantly running a CPU hot can shorten its life span if it spends most of its time over 80 C. If this only happens when encoding or doing other CPU intensive tasks, and you have the stock fan, this is normal and not something to worry about. If you want to treat your CPU a bit better, get an aftermarket fan.

If you get an aftermarket fan like a Noctua, and...

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Do you have the fan that came with the 3800x installed? Or did you install a different fan?

If its the stock fan that came with the process, it is a very weak fan. 80 C is completely expected. If you ran something like Cinebench, you'd get something around 85 C or so. If you ran Ryzen Master's stress test, you'd see it get to 95 C and throttle.

It can handle 80 C just fine. But constantly running a CPU hot can shorten its life span if it spends most of its time over 80 C. If this only happens when encoding or doing other CPU intensive tasks, and you have the stock fan, this is normal and not something to worry about. If you want to treat your CPU a bit better, get an aftermarket fan.

If you get an aftermarket fan like a Noctua, and also ever have to RMA your CPU to AMD, do not mention that you ever used anything but the stock fan that came with it.

Solution

ssal

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020

If you get an aftermarket fan like a Noctua, and also ever have to RMA your CPU to AMD, do not mention that you ever used anything but the stock fan that came with it.
I have a stock fan and the only CPU intensive operation I do is encoding video, which normally runs under 10-15 minutes the most once a week.

If it is all right, I'd like to avoid getting a 3rd party fan. The less I have to open up the box, the better for me.

Thanks.

I have a Ryzen 7 3800x with GTX 1060. I have noticed that the 7 3800x is running a bit hotter than the 7 2700x I had before. The following is a chart of the temperature when I encoded a video with Adobe Premiere Pro. It is peaking at low 80's °C. It is well below the 95°C stated in AMD's website.

Is this OK, normal?
Temperature chart during encoding

On the chart you linked the temp usually stay around the 80°C. It peaks at 85° or 86° but just for a really tinny moment, thats probably when the voltage and frecuency goes down to keep temp under a certain number.

As tsibiski stayed if you are using the stock fan thats fairly normal. We don't know what case you have, or how many fans are inside it, and where are those fans installed.

There are two things you can do here, in fact you may aswell do both:

1. If its posible, improve your case airflow, which usually requires moving and/or adding more/better case fans. That alone could drop the temp a few degrees.

2. Get something better than the stock fan. There are lots of good aftermarket coolers like tower ones, or even water cooler ones (whatever you pick, make sure it will fit inside your case and over your motherboard), for example:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8GBrxr/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-5117-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5100
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dM...xblack-55-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-u12s-chromaxblack
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F3gzK8/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-505-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk022
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c4...-ii-240-563-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-acfre00046a

Last edited:
Reactions: ssal
I have a stock fan and the only CPU intensive operation I do is encoding video, which normally runs under 10-15 minutes the most once a week.

If it is all right, I'd like to avoid getting a 3rd party fan. The less I have to open up the box, the better for me.

Thanks.

It should be ok, but read my other post, you may be able to make things better with more or better case fans in diferent positions. To help you with that you will have to tell us your case brand and model and/or take a few pics and post them here so we can see how its all build.

ssal

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
1. If its posible, improve your case airflow, which usually requires moving and/or adding more/better case fans. That alonecould drop the temp a few degrees.
I have the Cougar MX330 with only one fan. I added 3 more fans (2 intakes and out output) to increase the air flow. The chart I posted was with the added fans.

I have the Cougar MX330 with only one fan. I added 3 more fans (2 intakes and out output) to increase the air flow. The chart I posted was with the added fans.

Im guessing you added 1 of the fans at the top of the case, near the exahust back one?

Sorry to ask this question, but it could happend to anyone, Are you sure the front fans are working as intake?,
and same thign with the ones at the back, sure that they are working as exahust?

ssal

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
Im guessing you added 1 of the fans at the top of the case, near the exahust back one?

Sorry to ask this question, but it could happend to anyone, Are you sure the front fans are working as intake?,
and same thign with the ones at the back, sure that they are working as exahust?
I added one on top near the back and I am pretty sure it's sucking air out of the box. The other 2 are in the front blowing air into the box. I researched the direction of the fans before I put them in and I tested them with a match in front of it to see which direction the air is flowing too.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX
I added on on top near the back and I am pretty sure it's sucking air out of the box. The other 2 are in the front blowing air into the box. I research the direction of the fans before I put them in and I tested them with a match in front of it to see which direction the air is flowing too.

If this is a stress task you only do once a week, and it only last 10 to 15 mins, considering case fans are ok like what you described, and guessing the CPU cooler is well mounted (which seems to be the case), all you can do next is just use the system this way, and let the CPU and Motherboard regulate the voltage, frecuency and temp to keep everything under the factory safe values.

Alternative, and only when you feel like it, you can grab a better cpu cooler to improve the MAX temps you are getting.

ssal

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
If this is a stress task you only do once a week, and it only last 10 to 15 mins, considering case fans are ok like what you described, and guessing the CPU cooler is well mounted (which seems to be the case), all you can do next is just use the system this way, and let the CPU and Motherboard regulate the voltage, frecuency and temp to keep everything under the factory safe values.

Alternative, and only when you feel like it, you can grab a better cpu cooler to improve the MAX temps you are getting.
Yes, I'd probably use it the way it is for now and I will monitor the temperature closely when I render. After all, there isn't much to do while the video is rendering. I usually turn on coretemp to see what's the max temperature it reaches.

I will consider the 3rd party cooler option if it exceeds 90C.

Reactions: RodroX