[SOLVED] Pretty much same computer but way different experience ?

ManBearPig096

Commendable
Oct 15, 2020
My friend and I each bought a Dell precision t3500, and we both put a GTX 1660 ti in it.
We both have the same specs.

Intel Xeon cpu x5687 @ 3.60GHz quad core
12GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz
6 2GB Sticks of ram
Windows 10 64-bit

My os is installed on a separate 250GB SSD and games on another 1TB SSD
His os and games installed on one 1TB SSD

He is running games on ultra settings 60 FPS no problem, but me on the other hand will get 44 FPS on low or ultra settings. This happens on dayz stand-alone and one other game. I get severe stutter and frame skipping in most games especially games made with the source engine. He runs them once again just fine. His modded Minecraft runs fine while mine stutters every time I cross a chunk border and load chunks. I do have some games that work just fine on ultra including the Witcher 3, insurgency sandstorm, and Skyrim.

I have tried using the same settings as him, turned on threaded optimization in bios, looked to see if my cores were parked and they weren’t, nvidia inspector to use recommend settings for my graphics card (helped a little bit but problem persists).

My temps never go over 65C. My GPU and cpu never hit max usage but yet my frames suffer compared to him. I am completely lost as to why my computer is suffering performance wise compared to my friends identical computer?

If anyone has any idea I would very much like some help on this.

Solution
This:

"My os is installed on a separate 250GB SSD and games on another 1TB SSD"

and

"His os and games installed on one 1TB SSD ."

Your computer has to deal with data transfers between two drives. His computer does not.

I would start by taking a look at overall system and drive(s) performance.

=====

Both of you should run Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one at a time) and compare performance parameters.

Identify on both computers what resources are being used, to what extent, and what is using the resource.

[Note: How full is your 250 GB SSD? Indexing?]

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"My os is installed on a separate 250GB SSD and games on another 1TB SSD"

and

"His os and games installed on one 1TB SSD ."

Your computer has to deal with data transfers between two drives. His computer does not.

I would start by taking a look at overall system and drive(s) performance.

=====

Both of you should run Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one at a time) and compare performance parameters.

Identify on both computers what resources are being used, to what extent, and what is using the resource.

[Note: How full is your 250 GB SSD? Indexing?]

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

TRENDING THREADS