Preventing update to Windows 10

Hugh_Mungus

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Microsoft recently forced my mother to update her Windows 8.1 to WIndows 10. In less than 2 days, her Start button stopped working and she can't launch her apps, aside from the ones that are on her desktop. I want to revert her system to Windows 8.1. I've found some instructions for that; which luck they will work.

My question is: how do I prevent Microsoft from re-updating her to Windows 10 the next day or week? I'd like to keep her on Windows 8.1 until Windows 10 has finally solved the Start button issue. (Considering that this issue has been around for many months already and is not fixed yet, I'm not optimistic that it will be fixed any time soon.)

So what do I do to keep her on Windows 8.1 until *we* want to do the update?

Solution
1. Don't have Updates automatically applied.
It currently selects Win 10 Upgrade by default. So if you let it do that...that is what it will do.

2. The rollback to 8.1 should work just fine.

3. What has happened with the Start button? I have not seen any issue with that.
Have you tried a Repair?

USAFRet

Titan
1. Don't have Updates automatically applied.
It currently selects Win 10 Upgrade by default. So if you let it do that...that is what it will do.

2. The rollback to 8.1 should work just fine.

3. What has happened with the Start button? I have not seen any issue with that.
Have you tried a Repair?

Solution