Previous Generation Radeon HD Powers the Wii U

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to stay on topic and speak about gaming and internet, etc, but overall, I'd much rather see the US fix more important infrastructure like our bridges, levees, and waterways. Internet should be last on the list from a humanitarian perspective.

Older cores but many more cores and underclocked and undervolted could go far in the highly optimized console package. I know Im vague and just saying "old" and "more" but likes others have said, going old is cheaper and safer, and it doesn't mean you can't modify the hell out of it while still reducing your risk much more so than starting fresh or adopting the newer stuff.

I think the wii u coupled with a gamecube controller could be quite fun. I don't go for that extra nonsense. Mouse, keyboard, and controller only. I need a controller for my pc too sometimes when the carpal tunnel screams at me.... otherwise I'd only use it in driving games (so far my favorite of all time, NFS: Most Wanted.

G

seriously do you guys even know what goes into a console development, it's not like hey look it's a new piece of hardware lets just drop it into our little box of wonder and it should all work together. It's not a damn PC and it's not running windows, a change of hardware requires recoding the OS, recoding the SD kit, documenting new functions and calls in the SD kit, remapping memory architecture, rerouting the PCB just to name a few, if this thing is going to be sold next year then it has to be production ready this year, which means realistically final specification had to have been decided 2009 the latest, anyone want to guess what was the most mature AMD chip in 2009 was, oh look a 4000 series who would have thought.......

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Yeah right!! They had that technology 50 years ago. They just dont want us to know about it. From the roswell crash man. It just took this long to reverse engineer it. O_0

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I don't see the big hoo ha. Graphics quality has been mostly stagnant since DX9. DX10 does nothing but internal cleaning up. DX11 shows some improvement but hardly ground breaking. What you get on PC is higher res and frame rates. On a console you still can get the same image quality with lower res and frame rates. That said, i am not too hot for this Nintendo...helll, i never own a Nintendo in my life...LOL. But i expect the next console from SONY and MS won't be leaps and bounds either in terms of graphics...because technology has currently hit a wall of limitation, where improvement is very marginal....with each geneeration of consoles, the improvement is getting less and less...

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
I am not surprised that Nintendo uses last generation technology to power its new console. I will actually be surprised if Nintendo uses state-of-the-art technology to create new system.

candlelarbra5212

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
"Still, despite it being quite old in the PC world, it's still more advanced than Microsoft and Sony current offerings."

But it won't be when they release there next consoles. Again Nintendo are stuck in the middle, they will have a more powerful console than there rivals but will be unable to use the power, when MS and sony release their new consoles it will be underpowered. but it could make them a killing just like the wii

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]I'm aware of all that and suspect the suits won't care if there is infrastructure or not, and sell it up to the sheep.[/citation]
That works in a lot of cases, but when your customer support line is ringing off the hook because you have pissed off people whom cannot use the function whatsoever, or to the point that It's so crippled and terrible that It's not even worth using, then you have a major problem.

I don't even think 10% of the population has the proper connection to take full advantage of a Live type of streaming service. Especially online....the latency between the game PLUS the server and other players would make lag a nightmare. Imagine how terrible shot reg would be.

Now, if everyone was running some FIOS and they optimized it for the best possible latency, then yeah, we're in business here. Too bad evil corporations and their monopoly won't allow that.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]I'm trying to stay on topic and speak about gaming and internet, etc, but overall, I'd much rather see the US fix more important infrastructure like our bridges, levees, and waterways. Internet should be last on the list from a humanitarian perspective.[/citation]
I see the perspective you're viewing that from, but also consider what the internet has done for the world.

Global communication, ENDLESS knowledge and an overall smarter population. There used to be a time when those whom were stuck in rural areas, were basically screwed and cut off from the rest of the world. They didn't know much, if anything in terms of what was going on, and their knowledge and culture was limited to what they were raised on and now where they live - In the sticks.

I think having a globally connected society, that learns to think for themselves and seeks to learn facts and knowledge, is more valuable than almost anything I can name off the top of my head. You can now get a very respectable education, and be located on a farm in the middle of North Dakota. You never have to leave your house.

You're giving people endless opportunities and the advantage of not having your fate decided by geographical location and limitations.

Do you think these uprisings and rebellions would be happening in the Middle East without the internet? Do you think these people would even know what's going on around the world? Do you think they'd be able to communicate and organize like they do without the internet?

Look at China - they know this stuff. That's why they regulate and limit access to their population. They know exactly how powerful the internet is, and furthermore, do not want the internet giving people any wise ideas. They don't want people to know this wonderful life exists outside of what they've been told and the propaganda they've been taught since birth. China's biggest fear is having other culture invade and influence their own. The internet is the gateway for that. You break down China controlling the internet, and actually give the citizens access to the truth and endless amounts of knowledge, then I promise you, big things would be going on and changing in China.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

What ever the specs might have been the ps2 was a much better looking and feeling game experience......

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Keep on hearing people talk about directX 12... Haven't heard anything official about it, just a bunch of forum rants and rumors. If any finds anything official please PM me. Curious...

Thanks.... You may continue... :D

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

DX12 would not make sense to me now as a lot of devs are still using DX9 and 10. So why jump the gun to 12 before people are even really using 11? Plus if the rumors are correct and the next Microsoft console will be DX11 we mine as well stop there because we will be getting DX11 console ports for the next 7 years anyway lol.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
"Still, despite it being quite old in the PC world, it's still more advanced than Microsoft and Sony current offerings."

For sure, but is it also more powerful? Who says they didn't throttle the clock speed way down to keep power consumption and heat production low enough to fit inside the small box that is th WiiU?

@ whysobluepandabear

First I just want to say I enjoy reading your comments and am glad you take the time to post them here.

It sounded as though your response was more to support the existence of the internet where I was simply saying its pretty good as it is (its good enough to allow for all that you mentioned), and if the suits can turn a profit using existing infrastructure in major cities it'd probably be a go for em, especially if the margin is better. I think also an important point I didn't make is all my posts are "assuming" we're talking about launch dates in 2013-2015 in respect to a proper implementation (where games are designed from the ground up for) of an onlive type service. Hopefully by then its discovered tiered plans don't work.

One last comment about Nintendo, I owned the original Nintendo on up to the N64. The only one I kept is still hooked up to a television today and is the original. I think Nintendo will accomplish the goals they're setting out to accomplish which may not coincide with the current opinions of tech aficionados and "hardcore" gamers. Let's just hope that funky controller isnt too expensive and easily broken. Maybe they're hoping a lot of jugheads break it and have to buy a new one. Depending on its mass, we may see angry gamers knocking each other out with them. My lil nephew has thrown his controllers b4 in fits of rage. Scary lol.

Edit: The controller should allow you to select your plays in secret in your favorite football game.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]This is beyond F'ing sad. I can buy a 6870 RIGHT NOW for $165 after rebate. I'm sure if Nintendo was approaching Nvidia or AMD, they could strike a handsome deal on something similar. Why are they going to charge in the range of $400, for a console that has CHEAP ASS hardware in it? Nintendo is seriously the Apple of consoles.[/citation]
You are right my friend.

I think you see a lot of folks, myself included, mentioning the different versions of directx more so to group overall graphics effects and capabilities into tiers... its easier than listing the various differences between consoles and their generations.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Is that because Nintendo has been on the forefront of graphical improvements for so long.........wait no they haven't lol. This is fine for Nintendo because they haven't been the console for gamers who want top notch graphics for some time now. NOW if they totaly abandon there base of gamers who like the simple easy to play games like you see on the Wii and then are upstaged by sony and microsoft as far as the graphics and games go.....that would be a big problem for them.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]cburke82[/nom]Is that because Nintendo has been on the forefront of graphical improvements for so long.........wait no they haven't lol. This is fine for Nintendo because they haven't been the console for gamers who want top notch graphics for some time now. NOW if they totaly abandon there base of gamers who like the simple easy to play games like you see on the Wii and then are upstaged by sony and microsoft as far as the graphics and games go.....that would be a big problem for them.[/citation]

True but they don't have a track record of deliberately choosing poor hardware. I mean it's not like they stuck to the processor in the gray nintendo brick of old when they made the 3d one - just because it was cheap and ineffective.

I'm not demanding they use 590 chips, but at least use current generation stuff in the next generation console, instead of antiquated stuff. I mean it's like microsoft launching a new server motherboard with integrated os, and then picking windows 2000 standard server for the os .. it's just lame.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Yeah I see what your saying and they had better hope that Microsoft does not end up using DX11 hardware because that at least a 5000 card. And they do seem to be moving away from the Wii's current market. So if the X box 720 is more powerful and has better games and they they loose there low end market that would be very bad for them.

Oh and they do sort of have a track record for picking bad hardware if you think about it. They lost a lot of developers when they decided that they were going to stick with cartridges for the N64. At that time it was obvious that cd's were going to be the way to go I know for sure they lost squaresoft as a developer because CD's allowed developers to have more content for less money than a cartridge. If you remember Killer Instinct that was an $85 dollar game because it was a cartridge and that made it very expensive. One of my fav games on the SNES was Chrono Trigger and again that was I think $75-80 on release because the tech to make that game on a cartridge was expensive.

Nintendo hasent come out with a single console after the N64 that I wanted to buy at all. Also they have slowly been loosing game support over the years. I like RPG's and loved the SNES for all the squaresoft games.

Status
Not open for further replies.