[SOLVED] Previous Parts in New System?

Jan 3, 2019
So I want to build a new portable back pack rig PC out of some parts from my first build, and new parts I'll buy. Is it possible to use the parts I have in my first system in the new system and have them work? I heard somewhere that parts are registered to your OS or something and can't be used in new builds. Is that true?

Thanks!

Solution
Technically there should be absolutely no problem doing your new build.
The "registration" you've heard about is true. What it relates to is the Windows license.
Since you, by Microsoft's definition, is building a new computer (replacing the motherboard with a very different one and not to fix damage) you will just need a new license for Windows to go with the new computer.

Lutfij

Titan
That is a very vague question and would need some clarification as to the part you want to use. mind sharing the specs of the propsed portable gaming build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Mind if I ask where you heard about parts being registered to your OS?

Jan 3, 2019
Sure.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.0 GHz(from first build)
Mobo: Asus H270I Mini ITX (new)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 2400 speed w/ CL 14(new) [or] Crucial 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 2133 speed w/ CL 15 (from first build)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (from first build)
GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 1060 6 GB (from first build)
PSU: Corsair SF - 600 W 80+ Gold SFX
Chassis: Silverstone ML08B-H Mini ITX

About the parts registering to the OS, I don't actually remember where I heard of it, probably a friend trying to trick me. Dumb question, sorry. I think what I meant was more along the lines of is it possible to mix parts and have it work like a new build (excluding age of parts and things), and do I have to buy Windows 10 again or but that gets saved on the SSD doesn't it?

Thanks!

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Technically there should be absolutely no problem doing your new build.
The "registration" you've heard about is true. What it relates to is the Windows license.
Since you, by Microsoft's definition, is building a new computer (replacing the motherboard with a very different one and not to fix damage) you will just need a new license for Windows to go with the new computer.

Solution
Mar 2, 2019
It's about the W10-license indeed. But let me get this straight. Are you using the old parts to make a second system or is this system being built to replace the old rig?

If you're replacing it, don't buy a new license yet and try registering again. Had no problems over here a few times migrating the license.

If you're making a second system with the old parts, yes.. you need an extra W10 license.