Price Drops on ATi HD5000 Series Cards Anytime Soon?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
When do you guys think we will see a price drop on the HD5000 series cards? I am dying to get one. I am willing to spend a couple of extra bucks for a good card for my new system, but they seem to be hanging around $150 for 5750, and $180 for 5770.

I am trying to determine whether I should be getting a mid-high end HD4000 series card or a mid/mainstream HD5000 card.

Thanks.

Guess its take a gamble time folks, Do you want one ? If so you got two choices. Bite the bullet now and pay whats being asked or take a gamble that the price will come down at all.
I think there is a very real possability that if Nvidia dont release competative cards before a few of the better DX11 games are released then there may well be rises never mind drops.
Im happy with what i have for now, if i had not upgraded in june then i would be getting a non referance 5770 as soon as one i liked hit the stores, but as it is i need to justify the outlay and just cant pay what i see as over the odds just for DX11. Thats my personal view from my set of circumstances.
Anyone with a card (ATI) that starts with a number lower than a 4, well than it makes sense but for me not really. If i have to wait for the Northern Islands cards then so be it.

Mactronix :)

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Well, it's funny. It's not necessarily a supply and demand cure as a increased manufacturing cost. I mean, come on, AMD's MSRP for a 5850 is $259, now you can get one for $315...

Well, for now it looks like I'm stuck with the 5770 instead of the 5850 for now...

The Sapphire 5770 with Vapor-X looks promising...

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I know, just found out it existed!

Glad I didn't buy the HD 5750... length is the same and price difference isn't that high.