Price estimate for used PC

nexus-ops

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Hello,
I am more of a reader than a poster in here, so I do apologise if this is not the correct section. Hopefully the mods can move the thread if needed. I am planning to build myself a new PC and like last time, I am considering selling the one I have just now. I am thinking about keeping the GPU as I am not overly impressed with the 20-series, but I don't think the PC would have much value without it. If you can please let me know your estimates with and without the GPU, that would be great. Everything else would be included, with the disks formatted and OS removed.

Here are the specs and purchase dates to give you an idea of the age. In terms of usage: no overclocking ever, gaming, creating VMs, not a 24/7 use ever.

ASUS Z97-A (Dec-2014)
Intel i7-4790K (Dec-2014)
Corsair AX-760 (Dec-2014)
16GB (2x8GB) 1866MHz Corsair DDR3 Vengeance (Dec-2014)
Noctua NH-D15 (Dec-2014)
Samsung 120GB 840 EVO (Dec-2014) - OS
Samsung 500GB 840 EVO (Dec-2014) - games
Crucial 750GB MX300 (Feb-2017) - VMs
2x Toshiba P300 3TB HDD (Jun-2017) - Raid1 for data and backup
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X (Aug-2016)
Nanoxia Deep Silence One PC case (Jul-2016)

Thank you.

What does the new pc have to do? The rig you currently have is really well balanced and should not hold itself back.

nexus-ops

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

Thank you for the feedback. Took me a while to pick the components. The new rig will be pretty much the same, 1080p gaming, running VMs for labs and testing, watching movies and all the usual stuff. I realise that in terms of raw power, the current build has what I need. The reasons for the upgrade are pretty much
1) treat myself
2) replacing used hardware before it fails
3) been wanting to try out AIO for years so I will give it a go with H115i
4) bragging rights
(in this order)

I am still thinking about point 3 because I am scared to death of leaks, but supposedly Corsair have a leak warranty and they replace the parts damaged by the leak. And I would really like to see a near-empty case without a big hulking cooler in the middle.

Almost every AIO has pump failiure after 3 years of use. That is why I don't recommend them unless they are necessary (space restrictions).

If you have the disposable income then I would just take out the cpu, motherboard and ram and all sell them seperatly as that will fetch you the most money then just reuse what you have. Do wait until intel's 9th gen launches before upgrading tho since they are coming next month.

nexus-ops

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

Oh yeah, I am not in a buying rush. I just wanted to get a rough idea from you guys about how much is the current stuff worth. And yes, I have been waiting on the official annoucement of the 9th gen. I have been chasing every rumour article for last 6 months. Also, according to the launch event today, the CPUs will be available from 19th of this month. So no need to wait until Nov :) I am going to wait for some initial benchmarks and so on, but unless the reviewers reveal some major flaw, I am pretty much dead set on z390 with 9900k.
Oh and thanks for the AIO tip. I will keep that in mind.