Prices for Intel's 9th Generation CPUs Surface Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
This is the AMD payoff: Intel releasing a product at $500 that is 8 cores 16 threads with a boost of 4.7 on all cores and 5.0 on two out of the box. Now AMD has competitive products, Intel has more competitive pricing.

For sure! These would have easily been the next gen of $1000+ X-series processors.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
No doubt. Intel released an 8 core SkylakeX cpu last year for $600. So it goes without saying that without AMD, when Intel released the cheaper to make mainstream coffeelake 8 core, they would raise the price $400 to $1000. Totally logical assumption. How much does AMD pay you to post such garbage?

This is always the case with any industry (particularly the tech industry), competition always results in lower pricing. Not to mention drives innovation. Thankfully AMD finally came to market with a compelling product, Intel has been sitting on their laurels since Nehelam. The last time this happened in the CPU arena was when Intel released the Core 2 Duo to compete against the Athlon 64's X2's etc. Let's just hope that AMD keeps firing on all cylinders for awhile. Maybe shift some of this newfound success over to their GPU product lines, so we can get graphics card pricing down.

Those numbers may make sense in the USA but over here in Europe, where we DO pay VAT they're looking expensive-at PC21.fr the R7 2700x is selling at 344 Euro while the i7 9700K is priced at 403 Euro, with what looks like a hefty discount from 489 Euro: https://www.pc21.fr/fiche/bx80684i79700k-intel-core-i9-9700k-3-60ghz-boxed-cpu-i2417728.html
Add in the likelihood that the i7 won't ship with a cooler and it better be VERY fast compared to the 2700X if these prices stay as they are.

Sn34kyF0x

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
Competition fuels innovation. Look at Mazda Wankel Engines, amazing little powerhouses that fizzled out because all technologies had to come from inhouse as no one else wanted to build their own versions.

The same is similar with Intel in the late 80's/early 90's, you had AMD, Cyrix, VIA, and others making their own versions and tweaks. Hell, even AMD gave Intel the RISC based performance tweaks with their K6 line. Will all of this the lowly little consumer x86 beat out the newer stronger POWER series and them came up and started eatingninto the high-performance markets.

All this stuff facinates me but I am just glad I can arbitrarily argue with my best friends about why I think Coke, Mazda, Android, and PS4 are better than Pepsi, Ford, iOS and Xbone as all of those things wouldnt exist without the other. ... (Maybe coke would, it's liquid crack to a lot of americans lol)

Shumok

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

Of course, we never would have seen that $600 Skylake-X without Ryzen. He was accurate with the big picture.

stdragon

Admirable

Just to digress - That's not why they Wankel failed. There are many technical and efficiency reasons, but none of them involved the lack of ambition in of itself by others.

This was explained well on the Engineering Explained channel (Youtube).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3uGJGzUYCI

My 2007 RX8 died with about 40000 miles on it from the engine seizing up from carbon residue.

The rotary mechanic, which by the way can't go to just any mechanic, said it would cost about $3000 to fix.

The car looked pretty and sounded nice with its 9000 rpm revs, but in the end I expected it to last longer than 40000 miles.

Whenever you parked you had to rev the engine and shut the car off while the engine was being revved in order to burn off excess fuel.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
I would like the i9 to be $400 or I'll wait for Ryzen 7nm. So far I'm not encouraged that Intel will release anything good except for the i5-8400 successor.

Krazie_Ivan

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

i just hope enough consumers bother to buy AMD when it fits their needs, instead of using the lower prices from newfound competition to blindly buy Intel anyway out of habit, regardless if it's better suited to them. ("thanks for the discount on my Nvidia card, AMD! i'll be sure to tell everyone you suck!" --few years goes by-- "wait, an RTX is how much!?!?!")

...sent from my 6700k gtx970 system, which replaced an fx8320 7970x2

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Just no. The bottom 3 Skylake X processors (7800x,7820x,7900x) were exactly what was expected in core count and cost based on every previous Intel HEDT release going back to the Sandybridge E. To anyone paying attention to Intel's HEDT release history, there should have been zero surprise that the middle CPU was 8 cores in the $600 range. Intel completely ignored Ryzen's release and had zero response to it.

kookykrazee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I am thoroughly enjoying my 7700K. It works great, even though I have not OC it. The fact that the i7 may be the first series to not have hyperthreading is a no go for me.

hannibal

Distinguished

Not yet... the fixes Are coming to workstation cpus next year and those Are the first to have them. So maybe next year or one year after that we will see meltdown fixes Also in normal cpus

Aug 28, 2018
Lol only the I9 with hyperthreading!!!! Way to compete intel!! Not !!! Higher priced faster clock but at major expense of logical units.....

Just like the last 10+ years,intel can't get too far ahead because they need AMD alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.