prime95 causes furmark to lag -bad psu?

defever3

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
When I run p95 and furmark together, furmark gets very sporadic and drops fps and jumps around real laggy. OCCT also shows some weird fps drops. I think its bad fps but I want to see if other more experienced builders would come to the same conclusion before buying a new psu?

4820k i7
Sabertooth x79
4x4gb ripjaws 1600

Lepa 850 psu (less than reputable brand I know, but never had issues in the past)

Thanks! Just looking for some corroborating or alternate conclusions before spending money on components

Solution
Try a custom test and lower a bit of the mem tested to allocate a bit for windows and furmark. Any luck there? Ill run both right now and post what happens

Ok i ran a couple diff tests here. With furmark at 800x600 with 0xMSAA i get a solid 29 avg, out of the 30 fps, no lag at all and no failed cores- my gpu maxed at like 30% usage. But when i upped the resolution to like 1366 x 768 with 8xMSAA i dropped to 14 fps and although it was "laggy" it was consistent. no considerable skips or jumps, just a low framerate, with GPU at 99% usage..

AMD fx 6300 -oc 4.3 ghz
ASUS M5a97 r 2.0
8GB Gskill ripjaws 1600 mhz
ASUS Radeon HD 7870 DC2
Both programs and OS loaded from SSD

what priority do you run prime95 on? to my knowledge prime95 should be run and left alone. prime95 on high priority already stresses your PC more than youll ever see with actual use. so don't run it alongside furmark..run one, then the other.

defever3

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

Try a custom test and lower a bit of the mem tested to allocate a bit for windows and furmark. Any luck there? Ill run both right now and post what happens

Ok i ran a couple diff tests here. With furmark at 800x600 with 0xMSAA i get a solid 29 avg, out of the 30 fps, no lag at all and no failed cores- my gpu maxed at like 30% usage. But when i upped the resolution to like 1366 x 768 with 8xMSAA i dropped to 14 fps and although it was "laggy" it was consistent. no considerable skips or jumps, just a low framerate, with GPU at 99% usage..

AMD fx 6300 -oc 4.3 ghz
ASUS M5a97 r 2.0
8GB Gskill ripjaws 1600 mhz
ASUS Radeon HD 7870 DC2
Both programs and OS loaded from SSD

Solution

defever3

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
I appreciate the independent testing - I have been using FurMark and P95 for years and have found that for FurMark I like to use 1024x768 w/ 2xMSAA for a significant GPU stress test. P95 blend uses a nice mix of CPU and RAM, heavier on the CPU (100% load) and only uses a small portion of available RAM (about 12-13% of my avail. mem, or 2gb out of 16gb available).

If you could, the comparison I'm looking for is how FurMark FPS varies when p95 is active (100% CPU loading) vs. inactive (idle loading... well, as idle as it will be with FurMark running... I find it kicks my CPU up from about 3% to about 13% load).

When I run FurMark without full CPU loading, i get about 63 FPS solid, no fluctuations really. When I load p95 (fully load the CPU) AND run FurMark, my FPS drop considerably and jumps around sporadically from 46-61FPS, and lags like crazy. Basically, run FurMark and note your FPS, and then while it's running boot up p95 and see what happens...

If you see weird fluctuations in FPS like I do, then perhaps it's just an issue with FurMark and p95 not meshing well together. But if you see nice smooth FPS the same as when p95 isn't running, then I think my system is having power issues (the hypothesis being tested here is that the PSU is not delivering enough power to fully load my CPU and GPU at the same time... which is definitely a problem).