printer does not printing on windows 10 64bit

chouiyekh

Commendable
Nov 20, 2017
hi there,
my printer HP Deskjet 2542 is not printing any thing txt file or office word file or pdf file, my printer linked with usb cable with my computer, if i use HP Pinter Assistant the printer works perfectly like if i requested 'print quality diagnostics page' or 'print status report' ...ect it's work fine but if want to print any other file without using HP Printer Assistant, the printer not printing it ! and it's appears on the print queue for 10 seconds with status 'printing' and disappear. all drivers installed and updated, i tried HP Print and Scan Doctor, but it's says everything okay !
please help
(maybe this thread has a relation with this forum or maybe not but please help if you can )

pTWfz27.png

Solution
Okay like so many printers in this world, when you use HP assistant it send a command to the Usb port and the printer uses that code to initiate a internal test page print, its to test functionality of the hardware. and that means the printer is functional (it tests the usb to printer motherboard and mechanicals.)

what that test doesn't prove is that the windows print queue system is functional. (when you print from a application/program) the system sends the print job to a windows print queue. then it is sent to the usb to the printer for processing and I think this may be your problem. (yes I service printers all day long lol)

lets test your print queue.

open a (CMD) dos/command window in administrator mode (windows 10 : click...

chouiyekh

Commendable
Nov 20, 2017

1. linked with my computer via USB
2. doesn't print a test page from printer properties, but it's print it through HP Printer Assistant and through the printer buttons

Okay like so many printers in this world, when you use HP assistant it send a command to the Usb port and the printer uses that code to initiate a internal test page print, its to test functionality of the hardware. and that means the printer is functional (it tests the usb to printer motherboard and mechanicals.)

what that test doesn't prove is that the windows print queue system is functional. (when you print from a application/program) the system sends the print job to a windows print queue. then it is sent to the usb to the printer for processing and I think this may be your problem. (yes I service printers all day long lol)

lets test your print queue.

open a (CMD) dos/command window in administrator mode (windows 10 : click start and on run, type cmd, the icon for it will appear right click on it and select administrator. copy and past each line one at a time, if you get an error (aside no *.shl or *.spl files found)

net stop spooler
del C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS\*.shd
del C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS\*.spl
net start spooler

After this is done, close the CMD window and try to print from Notepad or Wordpad (why? simple text editor testing one thing at a time to eliminate possible other issues from other programs)

Does it print properly, ? yes , great! try you other application you where trying to print
does it print in the other app, yes, problem solved, if not then I suspect the other application has a corrupted printing system files.

let me know Ill monitor this thread.

NB: I use the following as a saved batch file for my client having this reoccurring issue (very common under windows 7), saving the file to their desktop.to spare my clients copying and pasting each time this occurs. I save this form notepad on the desktop and making sure I see the .txt extension I change it to .bat, if your problem reoccurs you may need it later on. I usually save it calling it "Print Spooler Restart.bat" and change the properties to run it always in administrator mode.

net stop spooler
IF NOT exist C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS\*.shd (
msg * The Printer Queue has no stuck print-jobs in the spooler.
) else (
del C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS\*.shd
del C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS\*.spl
msg * Stuck Documents removed, the Printer Queue has been cleared.
)
net start spooler
msg * Print Spooler Restarted, please retry printing again.

Solution

chouiyekh

Commendable
Nov 20, 2017

is what i did true ? if yes the result is there is nothing new, if no please let me know where did i go wrong ?
gxjXoJN.png