[SOLVED] Printer is there, but will not print

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Hello again. I have a Canon MG5700 series print/scanner, hooked up through a (very long) USB cord to my WIn7 PC. I have reinstalled the software, restarted and gone through the connection procedures multiple times. And it tells me they were successful each time.

But when I go to print, it will not actually print.

The long cord is due to the layout of the room it is in; but I have the option of wireless connection. The thing there is that out network frequently needs to be restarted. I'd happily do Wireless, if I could make it connect right to my PC's wireless card. But I can't figure that out, either.

Thanks for your time.

Solution
An ethernet cable to the second floor router is moot if the printer does not have an ethernet port.

Wireless to the second floor router likely to be viable but actual working performance will depend on distances, obstructions, and interference by other wireless devices/networks.

Connectivity:

PC [USB port] <-------USB cable ------> [USB port] MG5700 printer.

If only 6 feet apart then you should not need a cable booster at all.

Did you try other USB ports on the PC?

Do you have another known working USB cable to try?

Have you tried downloading and reinstalling the printer drivers from Canon's website?

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
How long is the USB cord? USB limit is 5 meters (15 feet)

Canon MG5700: no ethernet port - correct?

What router (make and model) do you have?

Wireless may be viable but you may need to set up a static IP address on the router for the printer.

Failing that perhaps a USB cable booster would be viable.

Example product:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Active-Extension-Female/dp/B00DMFFL2W
I'll have to find out the router stuff. Does it matter in this case? It seems pathetic to go through the router on the 2nd floor from the basement, when my printer is less than 6ft from me. And yet; we have this cable nonsense...

I set it up with a cable booster. It's not remotely 32 feet long. Maybe 18ft, total?

Ralston18

Titan
An ethernet cable to the second floor router is moot if the printer does not have an ethernet port.

Wireless to the second floor router likely to be viable but actual working performance will depend on distances, obstructions, and interference by other wireless devices/networks.

Connectivity:

Have you tried downloading and reinstalling the printer drivers from Canon's website?

Solution
I would use a shorter cable and connect to the printer that way and see if it makes a difference (move whatever you need to for this test). If it works successfully, then it is a cabling issue. If it does not, I suspect that it is a software issue with windows.

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020

Connectivity:

Okay; it seems to be working now after I swapped ports around. What I found was that my USBs for the printers were 3.0s and I had the one for the MG5700 plugged into a 2.0 port. I will keep an eye on it.

Thank you for all of your help, all of you!