printer purchase n refunds : Ethics

I need a printer desperately, and am moving soon to a new place.
If I buy a huge printer, i wud have to move it which i dont want
to do.

Is it ethical to buy a printer from BestBuy or CC or CompUSA,
use it for my current printing needs (Which I can do all in
one bundle, meaning i need the printer for 2-3 days only)
and return it? (Maybe I can give them a new cartridge, If I use
it up all).

And I'm planning to rebuy the printer when I move to my new place.
This would also give me a chance to use the printer and see if
I really want it.

But my friends think this is totally unethical to do,

Any comments on my dilemma, Is there any adverse credit rating
I get from doing this. Am I ruining my credit history?

Thanks,
--Elijah

Alan

geomrock@hotmail.com (Elijah Bailey) wrote in message news:<e008fef8.0405092229.385c800c@posting.google.com>...
> I need a printer desperately, and am moving soon to a new place.
> If I buy a huge printer, i wud have to move it which i dont want
> to do.
>
> Is it ethical to buy a printer from BestBuy or CC or CompUSA,
> use it for my current printing needs (Which I can do all in
> one bundle, meaning i need the printer for 2-3 days only)
> and return it? (Maybe I can give them a new cartridge, If I use
> it up all).
>
> And I'm planning to rebuy the printer when I move to my new place.
> This would also give me a chance to use the printer and see if
> I really want it.
>
> But my friends think this is totally unethical to do,
>
> Any comments on my dilemma, Is there any adverse credit rating
> I get from doing this. Am I ruining my credit history?

Of course it's unethical. You already know that.

And practically, if it's such a pain to move, how are you going to get
it back and forth from the shop? And you'll have to spend ages doing
paperwork. Doesn't seem worth it to me. If you really do have friends,
ask one if you can borrow their printer for a few days, and replace
the cartridge.

Elijah Bailey wrote:

> I need a printer desperately, and am moving soon to a new place.
> If I buy a huge printer, i wud have to move it which i dont want
> to do.
>
> Is it ethical to buy a printer from BestBuy or CC or CompUSA,
> use it for my current printing needs (Which I can do all in
> one bundle, meaning i need the printer for 2-3 days only)
> and return it? (Maybe I can give them a new cartridge, If I use
> it up all).
>
> And I'm planning to rebuy the printer when I move to my new place.
> This would also give me a chance to use the printer and see if
> I really want it.
>
> But my friends think this is totally unethical to do,
>
> Any comments on my dilemma, Is there any adverse credit rating
> I get from doing this. Am I ruining my credit history?
>
> Thanks,
> --Elijah

I have a pretty hard time understanding why you would think this could
be ethical.

Could you explain a little?

Keepsake gift for young girls.
Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
Builds strong minds 12 ways.
Guaranteed satisfaction
- courteous money back
- keep bonus gifts

http://www.alicebook.com

> I need a printer desperately, and am moving soon to a new place.
> If I buy a huge printer, i wud have to move it which i dont want
> to do.
>
> Is it ethical to buy a printer from BestBuy or CC or CompUSA,
> use it for my current printing needs (Which I can do all in
> one bundle, meaning i need the printer for 2-3 days only)
> and return it? (Maybe I can give them a new cartridge, If I use
> it up all).
>
> And I'm planning to rebuy the printer when I move to my new place.
> This would also give me a chance to use the printer and see if
> I really want it.

I would suggest either use Kinko's for your printing needs, or after you are
through printing, pack up your new printer in the original box and packing
materal and ship it to your new address.

jbuch <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net> wrote in message news:<c7ntkq0oii@enews3.newsguy.com>...
> Elijah Bailey wrote:
>
> > I need a printer desperately, and am moving soon to a new place.
> > If I buy a huge printer, i wud have to move it which i dont want
> > to do.
> >
> > Is it ethical to buy a printer from BestBuy or CC or CompUSA,
> > use it for my current printing needs (Which I can do all in
> > one bundle, meaning i need the printer for 2-3 days only)
> > and return it? (Maybe I can give them a new cartridge, If I use
> > it up all).
> >
> > And I'm planning to rebuy the printer when I move to my new place.
> > This would also give me a chance to use the printer and see if
> > I really want it.
> >
> > But my friends think this is totally unethical to do,
> >
> > Any comments on my dilemma, Is there any adverse credit rating
> > I get from doing this. Am I ruining my credit history?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Elijah
>

> I have a pretty hard time understanding why you would think this could
> be ethical.
>
> Could you explain a little?

So you do understand that it is unethical...:)

Why do you think "rebate forms" are ethical?
They make it to rip u off... They state all
the rules before they play the game thou...so
its not illegal...do u consider rebate forms
ethical?

I'm doing everything by the book....buy stuff,
use it, dont like it, they let me return it.
I make buisness for them anyhow...I'll buy what
I return anyway,

why is that not ethical?

They are in buisness because they let u do that,
if not, I cud buy stuff from the cheapest place
on the internet...

I dont consider it unethical to use stuff and
return it...(At least not if I'm rebuying it back)
why should i? Gimme a reason?

Jimmy

"Elijah Bailey" <geomrock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> jbuch <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net> wrote in message
>
> I dont consider it unethical to use stuff and
> return it...(At least not if I'm rebuying it back)
> why should i? Gimme a reason?

If you have to have a reason to do the ethical thing, you are beyond hope.
You know you will NOT be 'rebuying it back' as
you will purchase a unused NEW printer the next time. Do the world a
favor -- shoot yourself so we don't have
to put up with your BS.

geomrock@hotmail.com (Elijah Bailey) wrote in message news:<e008fef8.0405101642.4ed10d14@posting.google.com>...
> jbuch <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net> wrote in message news:<c7ntkq0oii@enews3.newsguy.com>...
> > Elijah Bailey wrote:
> >
> > > I need a printer desperately, and am moving soon to a new place.
> > > If I buy a huge printer, i wud have to move it which i dont want
> > > to do.
> > >
> > > Is it ethical to buy a printer from BestBuy or CC or CompUSA,
> > > use it for my current printing needs (Which I can do all in
> > > one bundle, meaning i need the printer for 2-3 days only)
> > > and return it? (Maybe I can give them a new cartridge, If I use
> > > it up all).

> > > And I'm planning to rebuy the printer when I move to my new place.
> > > This would also give me a chance to use the printer and see if
> > > I really want it.
> > >
> > > But my friends think this is totally unethical to do,
> > >
> > > Any comments on my dilemma, Is there any adverse credit rating
> > > I get from doing this. Am I ruining my credit history?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > --Elijah
> >

> > I have a pretty hard time understanding why you would think this could
> > be ethical.
> >
> > Could you explain a little?
> >

> So you do understand that it is unethical...:)
>
> Why do you think "rebate forms" are ethical?
> They make it to rip u off... They state all
> the rules before they play the game thou...so
> its not illegal...do u consider rebate forms
> ethical?
>
> I'm doing everything by the book....buy stuff,
> use it, dont like it, they let me return it.
> I make buisness for them anyhow...I'll buy what
> I return anyway,
>
> why is that not ethical?
>
> They are in buisness because they let u do that,
> if not, I cud buy stuff from the cheapest place
> on the internet...
>
> I dont consider it unethical to use stuff and
> return it...(At least not if I'm rebuying it back)
> why should i? Gimme a reason?

k!

I gave up the idea...I guess i'll have to pay kinkos :(

Thanks,
--Elijah

In article <e008fef8.0405101642.4ed10d14@posting.google.com>,
geomrock@hotmail.com (Elijah Bailey) wrote:

> I'm doing everything by the book....buy stuff,
> use it, dont like it, they let me return it.

Is different from:

> ...buy a printer from BestBuy or CC or CompUSA,
> use it for my current printing needs and return it?

You're planning on returning it whether you like it or not. That's
unethical.

>...I'll buy what I return anyway,

So this second-hand printer is miraculously going to appear in the BestBuy
or CC or CompUSA in the town you're moving to and it will be the one
you're handed when you go to buy it back?

Your friends have told you it's unethical (good for them), several people
here have told you it's unethical (ditto), why do you have such a hard
time understanding that?

For your information: not being able to distinguish right from wrong is
one of the signs of a psychopathic personality. Perhaps you should seek
help - with your English, too.

Jon.

"Elijah Bailey" <geomrock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> jbuch <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net> wrote in message
> > Elijah Bailey wrote:
> >
> > > I need a printer desperately, and am moving soon to a new place.
> > > If I buy a huge printer, i wud have to move it which i dont want
> > > to do.
> > >
> > > Is it ethical to buy a printer from BestBuy or CC or CompUSA,
> > > use it for my current printing needs (Which I can do all in
> > > one bundle, meaning i need the printer for 2-3 days only)
> > > and return it? (Maybe I can give them a new cartridge, If I use
> > > it up all).
> > >
> > > And I'm planning to rebuy the printer when I move to my new place.
> > > This would also give me a chance to use the printer and see if
> > > I really want it.
> > >
> > > But my friends think this is totally unethical to do,
> > >
> > > Any comments on my dilemma, Is there any adverse credit rating
> > > I get from doing this. Am I ruining my credit history?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > --Elijah
> >

> > I have a pretty hard time understanding why you would think this could
> > be ethical.
> >
> > Could you explain a little?
> >

> So you do understand that it is unethical...:)
>
> Why do you think "rebate forms" are ethical?
> They make it to rip u off... They state all
> the rules before they play the game thou...so
> its not illegal...do u consider rebate forms
> ethical?
>
> I'm doing everything by the book....buy stuff,
> use it, dont like it, they let me return it.
> I make buisness for them anyhow...I'll buy what
> I return anyway,
>
> why is that not ethical?
>
> They are in buisness because they let u do that,
> if not, I cud buy stuff from the cheapest place
> on the internet...
>
> I dont consider it unethical to use stuff and
> return it...(At least not if I'm rebuying it back)
> why should i? Gimme a reason?

I'm truly hoping this posting is some kind of joke.

Let's take the same situation, and this time you're the guy who gets stuck
with the used or damaged goods.

You have a new printer you never used. I buy it from you, use it, use up
the ink, and after I'm done with the printing I want to do, I lie to you and
tell you , I don't like it, or it doesn't work correctly, so I bring it back
to you and demand my money back... what would YOU think of a person who did
that to you.

You want to know what's unethical.. it's simple... you're lying. You don't
go in the store and tell them you want to borrow the printer for a week and
run your printing job and then you'll return it for a refund, do you.? Why
not, if it's "ethical".

If you want to RENT a printer, than find some place that will rent you one!
Who do you think swallows the cost of the printer you return used after
lying about your intent? Well, the store does first, but ultimately the
cost is passed on to other customers, so you are just ripping off other
customers who don't play deceptive and dishonet games. Really nice. How
would you feel if they sold you a used printer as new... I bet you'd be
returning it to the store quicker than I can type "gee, what a rip..."

How about ask a friend if you can borrow their printer and pay them for use
and ink? Or hire someone to do your printing... Then again, maybe you
don't have many friends... most people don't particularly want to be
friends with someone who thinks the way you do.

The store you buy and return it to has to take a loss due to your actions.
You're buying it "again" someplace else, but even if the purchase were to ne
made at the same store chain, that doesn't resolve the lose. The reason
it's unethical is because your intent is deceitful and dishonest.

As to if some rebates are also dishonest, that's completely irrelevant.
Some people kill other people and that doesn't exactly justify your doing
the same.

Sounds to me you are trying to rationalize bad behaviour. But, if you
didn't know better, you wouldn't have asked to begin with, so you obviously
know it's wrong. So do yourself a favor, follow what you know is correct,
and rent a printer or find someone to borrow it from and compensate them for
your ink use.

Art

> geomrock@hotmail.com (Elijah Bailey) wrote in message
> > jbuch <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net> wrote in message

> > > I have a pretty hard time understanding why you would think this could
> > > be ethical.
> > >
> > > Could you explain a little?
> > >

> > So you do understand that it is unethical...:)
> >
> > Why do you think "rebate forms" are ethical?
> > They make it to rip u off... They state all
> > the rules before they play the game thou...so
> > its not illegal...do u consider rebate forms
> > ethical?
> >
> > I'm doing everything by the book....buy stuff,
> > use it, dont like it, they let me return it.
> > I make buisness for them anyhow...I'll buy what
> > I return anyway,
> >
> > why is that not ethical?
> >
> > They are in buisness because they let u do that,
> > if not, I cud buy stuff from the cheapest place
> > on the internet...
> >
> > I dont consider it unethical to use stuff and
> > return it...(At least not if I'm rebuying it back)
> > why should i? Gimme a reason?
>

> k!
>
> I gave up the idea...I guess i'll have to pay kinkos :(
>
> Thanks,
> --Elijah

I think you made the right decision. You are a better person for it, and
saving a bit of money doing the wrong thing, just leads to your own loss of
self-respect. Not worth it!

Art