Printer selection

HarryS

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2004

I've shortlisted a few printers to replace my aging HP 850c (which still
works OK BTW)

It will be a general purpose printer. ie print a dozen invoices a month,
print the kids homework
and the plan is to get a digital camera in the not to distant future.
Already have a DigCam that I have captured
some pics from that I'd like to print.

So I'm thinking that a "photo" printer, is the way to go. Not sure if they
will do the invoices however?

I love the idea of an A3 (2x A4 sizes or 11"x17") ie the 9950, but that
stretches the budget a bit.
An older model 6100 and 6500 A3's are avail also . (however they are 5pl
rather than the 2pl of the 9950)

If I go A4, then the short list is the 560, 865, 905D, 965 and 990 from
canon.
I've also been looking at the R800 from Epson.

I'm not keen on the idea of the "protection" in the Epson carts as a
concept, even though I'll prob buy genuine carts anyhow.
(mostly as I've never had any luck refilling the HP - maybe canon & epson
are better?.)

I've read to many bad things re HP, so they have been removed from my list.
In addition I want separate carts as I've experienced throwing out 1/2 full
carts on the 850c, due to 1 colour being empty.

I have a DVD burner, so that printing feature also appeals.

So can someone comment on my choices above & give me some pointers to
sorting them out.
All the spec seem to be so similar I can't really pick between them.

TIA for any input

"HarryS" <HarryS@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<40d2ee2f$1@duster.adelaide.on.net>...

> I love the idea of an A3 (2x A4 sizes or 11"x17") ie the 9950, but that
> stretches the budget a bit.
> An older model 6100 and 6500 A3's are avail also . (however they are 5pl
> rather than the 2pl of the 9950)

There also is the older version of the 9950 (9100 in the USA, so maybe
9150 there?) that dropped (in the US) to about half of the previous
price, so although not quite state of the art so to speak, was well
regarded and probably a great large-print printer for the price.

Personally, I've had the i9900 (I'm in the US) for several weeks now.
Very happy about it too. US version doesn't print disks and such though.

> I'm not keen on the idea of the "protection" in the Epson carts as a
> concept, even though I'll prob buy genuine carts anyhow.
> (mostly as I've never had any luck refilling the HP - maybe canon & epson
> are better?.)

Haven't refilled any. My i9900 will stay with Canon inks bought at the
best discounted seller I can. Our F50 Canon "everything" unit uses only
Canon Black ink and uses "clone" cartridges for the color ones. The
clones sell for about 20~30% of the Canon prices and seems to work okay
for use there (black clone we tried "splattered", so quit doing that).
Anyway, clones are wrapped the same and install the same as Canon's, so
no fuss, no leaks, etc.

Mike

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

gewgle@yahoo.com (Anoni Moose) wrote:

>"HarryS" <HarryS@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<40d2ee2f$1@duster.adelaide.on.net>...
>
>> I love the idea of an A3 (2x A4 sizes or 11"x17") ie the 9950, but that
>> stretches the budget a bit.
>> An older model 6100 and 6500 A3's are avail also . (however they are 5pl
>> rather than the 2pl of the 9950)
>
>There also is the older version of the 9950 (9100 in the USA, so maybe
>9150 there?) that dropped (in the US) to about half of the previous
>price, so although not quite state of the art so to speak, was well
>regarded and probably a great large-print printer for the price.
>
>Personally, I've had the i9900 (I'm in the US) for several weeks now.
>Very happy about it too. US version doesn't print disks and such though.
>
>> I'm not keen on the idea of the "protection" in the Epson carts as a
>> concept, even though I'll prob buy genuine carts anyhow.
>> (mostly as I've never had any luck refilling the HP - maybe canon & epson
>> are better?.)
>
>Haven't refilled any. My i9900 will stay with Canon inks bought at the
>best discounted seller I can. Our F50 Canon "everything" unit uses only
>Canon Black ink and uses "clone" cartridges for the color ones. The
>clones sell for about 20~30% of the Canon prices and seems to work okay
>for use there (black clone we tried "splattered", so quit doing that).
>Anyway, clones are wrapped the same and install the same as Canon's, so
>no fuss, no leaks, etc.
>
>Mike

I have an i9900 too and love it but when I looked at the prices of
cartridges I decided to start refilling. I've done three so far with
no problems and the color looks as good as before although I am
learning what tape works best to cover the outlet during the refill.
That dye is VERY hard to get off your fingers.

Rob

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:59:17 +0930, "HarryS" <HarryS@microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I've shortlisted a few printers to replace my aging HP 850c (which still
>works OK BTW)
>
>It will be a general purpose printer. ie print a dozen invoices a month,
>print the kids homework
>and the plan is to get a digital camera in the not to distant future.
>Already have a DigCam that I have captured
>some pics from that I'd like to print.
>
>So I'm thinking that a "photo" printer, is the way to go. Not sure if they
>will do the invoices however?

Most photo printers do lousy text. Get yourself a reasonable photo
printer and a cheap laser for letters, invoices and so forth, or get
yourself a general purpose inkjet that will do good text and
reasonable photos.

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Hecate <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message news:<0d37d0p4tvj3ci93kt4pojoijram2cbm9d@4ax.com>...
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:59:17 +0930, "HarryS" <HarryS@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I've shortlisted a few printers to replace my aging HP 850c (which still
> >works OK BTW)
> >
> >It will be a general purpose printer. ie print a dozen invoices a month,
> >print the kids homework
> >and the plan is to get a digital camera in the not to distant future.
> >Already have a DigCam that I have captured
> >some pics from that I'd like to print.
> >
> >So I'm thinking that a "photo" printer, is the way to go. Not sure if they
> >will do the invoices however?
> >
> Most photo printers do lousy text. Get yourself a reasonable photo
> printer and a cheap laser for letters, invoices and so forth, or get
> yourself a general purpose inkjet that will do good text and
> reasonable photos.
>
> --
>
> Hecate
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui

I'm new here
so.. Hi every body
I have epson printer. the ink run out too fast and print head is clog up.
I have HP printer. the ink is not cheap.
Finally I have the canon f60, for 5 months and I love it very much.
you can print many you want, the ink seem like never running out.
you can print, copy, scan. even with out the computer
2400 x 1200 dpi resolution printing is not bad
go to these web. and take a look.
(http://www.tigerdirect.com)sell for 99$
(http://www.123inkjets.com)inkjetcartridges,one for 6$
I hope it help you some