Printer using ink extremely fast

modernwar99

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
Pretty much the only use my family's printer gets is me printing school work. It is a HP Officejet 6600 inkjet printer. It is fairly new, maybe 2-3 years old. That being said, the ink runs out extremely fast, sometimes only 10-20 prints after replacing a cartridge, it'll tell me I can't print until I replace the depleted cartridge. I can confirm the cartridges are empty after opening one up and it's not the printer misreading the ink levels. In the printer properties on my computer I have the print quality set to the lowest DPI and output quality (draft quality). If I set it to print in grayscale only, then the black ink gets depleted really fast.

This is a problem for me because the "genuine HP" ink is extremely expensive and I'm usually the one buying ink for it. Is there something wrong with the printer? Or is HP just screwing me over forcing me to buy their overpriced ink?

Do yourself a huge favor. Buy a brothers black and white laser printer. HP over the years has been finding more and more ways to screw their customers. On my last HP printer, the ink would actually expire...I mean wtf.

I got a brothers laser printer and it lasted like 2 years before I had to change the toner. I've been using cheap remanufactured toner and nothing has gone wrong. Their network printers have been pretty reliable to me and my relatives.

CliplessWingtips

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
I love HP printers. You can adjust the amount of ink used as a means to conserve. Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers\Specific Printer.

After that go to Adjust print options>Advanced>Printer Features>Ink Volume>Lighter.

This should program the printer to use less ink during prints.

Good luck,

~Clip