[SOLVED] Printer versus Woodstove?

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Hey guys this may be the most awkward thing I have ever posted but I am doing some major rearranging of my house. Anyway I have a computer setup in a basement that is near our woodstove. So I am thinking about adding a little table to this setup and plugging my printer into it. It will be the closest electronic device to the woodstove. It can get pretty damn hot here during the Winter as well. So I know that the printer would be about eight feet from the actual woodstove. So my concern is, could this cause me major issues with my printer? It is also a scanner, copier and printer combo unit. I know that heat can cause electronic devices some trouble. I was thinking since this is a printer could is cause even more issues with the electronics and ink cartridges? Basically before this goes overboard should I be okay or should I rethink this strategy?

Also like I said this would be the closest electronic device to the woodstove but unbelievably I have not had any trouble with my other electronics in this area around the woodstove. The actual desktop tower is on the other end of the setup though. Thoughts?

Solution
Hey guys this may be the most awkward thing I have ever posted but I am doing some major rearranging of my house. Anyway I have a computer setup in a basement that is near our woodstove. So I am thinking about adding a little table to this setup and plugging my printer into it. It will be the closest electronic device to the woodstove. It can get pretty damn hot here during the Winter as well. So I know that the printer would be about eight feet from the actual woodstove. So my concern is, could this cause me major issues with my printer? It is also a scanner, copier and printer combo unit. I know that heat can cause electronic devices some trouble. I was thinking since this is a printer could is cause even more issues with the...

kanewolf

Titan
Hey guys this may be the most awkward thing I have ever posted but I am doing some major rearranging of my house. Anyway I have a computer setup in a basement that is near our woodstove. So I am thinking about adding a little table to this setup and plugging my printer into it. It will be the closest electronic device to the woodstove. It can get pretty damn hot here during the Winter as well. So I know that the printer would be about eight feet from the actual woodstove. So my concern is, could this cause me major issues with my printer? It is also a scanner, copier and printer combo unit. I know that heat can cause electronic devices some trouble. I was thinking since this is a printer could is cause even more issues with the electronics and ink cartridges? Basically before this goes overboard should I be okay or should I rethink this strategy?

Also like I said this would be the closest electronic device to the woodstove but unbelievably I have not had any trouble with my other electronics in this area around the woodstove. The actual desktop tower is on the other end of the setup though. Thoughts?
I would be concerned with the smoke from the woodstove contaminating the print head of an ink jet and clouding the scanner.
You could run a HEPA filter to clear the air near the printer.

Reactions: Hexa Fox
Solution

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
I would be concerned with the smoke from the woodstove contaminating the print head of an ink jet and clouding the scanner.
You could run a HEPA filter to clear the air near the printer.

I never thought of this and why I decided to post. I am not sure if our woodstove is not properly sealed or what but we get a nice layer of silt/dust on everything around the house, especially near the woodstove. We use an air filter with HEPA filters in it but it seems to get clogged pretty easily. Thanks for the feedback, maybe I should rethink this.

Another reason I have made this such a seemingly big deal is that we only want one printer in the house and we do use it for critical stuff. Like I use it for billing invoices to my customers. So I would really hate to run into issues with it.

Ralston18

Titan
I heated a basement work area with a wood stove for several years.

Another issue is the dryness/lack of humidity that can result as well. Dried out and shrunk ceiling tiles which one night came down like dominos.

Silt and dust can be expected but if the stove is properly installed and has a good draft, you should not be getting layers throughout the house. All the more so if HEPA filters are not truly controlling the dust.

And that dust will get into the printer as mentioned above and other electronics as well. May take longer but the dust will get into the printer no matter where in the house you place the printer.

Yes: a "rethink" is in order but there may be other issues.

My suggestion is to get the wood stove and installation, including chimney, inspected. You do not want creosote building up.

https://www.priddyclean.com/chimney...te is a black, tar,can help resolve the issue.

Chimney fires, even small ones, are terrifying....

I have lived in a house with a wood stove.

It can get immensely hot.
No way would I want anything electronic or flammable anywhere near it.

A printer should be relatively easy to relocate. Particularly if it is wifi connected.

To do what you want, see if you can put a heat resistant partition between the stove and the printer.

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
I have lived in a house with a wood stove.

It can get immensely hot.
No way would I want anything electronic or flammable anywhere near it.

A printer should be relatively easy to relocate. Particularly if it is wifi connected.

To do what you want, see if you can put a heat resistant partition between the stove and the printer.

My other components are a little bit further away. The closest electronic device will now be the printer. I realize the room is going to be pretty warm regardless but it is going to be eight feet away. That is, if I decide to do it. Also that is my issue, this printer is old but definitely nice. I was thinking maybe if I start having issues or this does kill it I will upgrade to a wifi printer and locate it more 'strategically'. I would still rather not kill the one I have now though.
Then you should be using a laser printer rather than ink jet anyway.
Yeah I do not think I have ever had a laser printer.

I heated a basement work area with a wood stove for several years.

Another issue is the dryness/lack of humidity that can result as well. Dried out and shrunk ceiling tiles which one night came down like dominos.

Silt and dust can be expected but if the stove is properly installed and has a good draft, you should not be getting layers throughout the house. All the more so if HEPA filters are not truly controlling the dust.

And that dust will get into the printer as mentioned above and other electronics as well. May take longer but the dust will get into the printer no matter where in the house you place the printer.

Yes: a "rethink" is in order but there may be other issues.

My suggestion is to get the wood stove and installation, including chimney, inspected. You do not want creosote building up.

https://www.priddyclean.com/chimney-creosote/#:~:text=Creosote is a black, tar,can help resolve the issue.

Chimney fires, even small ones, are terrifying....

Yeah we usually clean our chimney every year. We also replaced all the 'gaskets' on it as well and I still think we are getting too much dust/silt around the house. I might just call around and see if I can find an inspector for it.

Also the printer was in an office upstairs in the complete opposite side of the house. The dust/silt is very, very minimal there. I am not saying it is non existent but it is much worse in the room with the actual wood stove.