Printing greyscale images on inkjet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

miked

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
> That always is nice to hear. The older Epson printers can be made "good
> as new" in many cases with just a bit of cleaning. The heads are
> actually pretty robust most of the time.

I played with my grey scales at the weekend, printing a 17 shade wedge on
photo paper.

With the printer driver set to "no colour control" the darker shades have a
greenish tint, while the lighter shdes have a reddish tint. It's fairly
subtle, but noticeable.

I played with the sliders in the driver until I got bored, but couldn't find
a setting that would give proper greys right across the spectrum.

I might save up for some genuine Epson ink then try again...

Mike

Hi MIke,

I'm not surprised you got bored. As you probably recall, I stated:

and you said:

>> The tint is universal, and slightly blue. I will try adjusting the sliders
>> as you suggest.

Now that you have confirmed the color balance is shifting with density,
it means the inks have different profiles than the Epson inks, most
likely. Keep in mind paper type shifts color response also.

Make sure all your nozzle checks are good as well. If some nozzles are
clogged, that can throw off the color balance, especially with 6 color
printers which use low dye load inks.

Good luck.

Art

> and you said:
>
> >> The tint is universal, and slightly blue. I will try adjusting the
sliders
> >> as you suggest.

Hello Art

I did say that, and I was referring to the appearance of my photograph.

> Now that you have confirmed the color balance is shifting with density,
> it means the inks have different profiles than the Epson inks, most
> likely. Keep in mind paper type shifts color response also.

This only became apparent to me when I printed out the grey scale wedge.
Funny things, eyes!

> Make sure all your nozzle checks are good as well. If some nozzles are
> clogged, that can throw off the color balance, especially with 6 color
> printers which use low dye load inks.

The nozzle checks are fine. Colour prints are wonderful. It's only B&W that
is challenging me!

I will buy *one* set of Epson ink and try that. If that doesn't work I shall
find something more interesting to occupy my spare time.

Thanks again,

Mike